Clear all

Balanced or Unbalanced cables?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 John
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey guys, Not sure which I should be using here. I run left and right cables from the ModX to a channel in a Mackie 8 board, then out from the mackie board into the main board, out to the speakers. Should I be using Balanced or Unbalanced cables?
Thanks for your help as usual.
Johnny Ack

Posted : 16/02/2023 5:08 pm
Prominent Member

Should I be using Balanced or Unbalanced cables?

The Modx has unbalanced outputs.

So you should be using cables with TS connectors on both ends.

The device you plug those cables into should support unbalanced (TS) inputs. If that device does NOT support unbalanced inputs then you need to use an intermediate device which can accept unbalanced inputs and provide balanced outputs.

NOTE: some (not all) devices with TRS inputs are designed to support TS cables.

It is NOT recommended to use unbalanced cables over 20 feet so the best solution may depend on your environment and use.

A high-end solution would use short TS cables with TS connectors on both ends. Plug one end of the cables into the Modx and the other end into a balancing device balanced outputs. Then you can use balanced cables to wander all over your studio to get to where they need to go.

Cabling problems often arise when someone swaps a cable out bu just grabbing a spare without making sure the replacement has the same specs as what they were using.

That can happen if you use a Montage cable on the Modx. Montage has balanced outputs but Modx doesn't.

Cables are NOT the place to try to save money - get the best ones you can afford.

Posted : 16/02/2023 5:42 pm
 John
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Great advise, Thank you! unbalanced it is!
I Appreciate your input!

Posted : 16/02/2023 6:04 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us