Notifications
Clear all

QUESTION RE: MODX PATTERN SEQUENCER AND CUBASE

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm currently studying all things "MODX Pattern Sequencer" and have a basic question:

Question: Is it possible to create patterns (4/8 bar MIDI tracks, etc.) in Cubase, and them port them over into the MODX sequencer (via MODX Connect, or perhaps as a .MIDI file)?

Note: I have successfully imported trial sequence patterns into Cubase 12 from my MODX via MODX connect, and am familiar with Blake's excellent article on this process.

Reason: No slight at all to the MODX, but my preferred "environment" for sequencing and generating ideas is in Cubase, and in fact, I would like to do the sequencing using the MODX as a mutl-timbral "module" so to speak.

The other reason is that these patterns would be set up as "live jams" which my band would play along with in a live setting.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this! 🙂

Posted : 13/02/2023 4:39 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=120347]I'm currently studying all things "MODX Pattern Sequencer" and have a basic question:

Question: Is it possible to create patterns (4/8 bar MIDI tracks, etc.) in Cubase, and them port them over into the MODX sequencer (via MODX Connect, or perhaps as a .MIDI file)? [/quotePost]
The easiest way I found is to just *record* it with the Pattern Sequencer.
The process is described here (together with a bug and its workaround):
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/recording-midi-from-daw-into-pattern-sequencer-missing-first-note

You can also put MIDI files onto an USB stick and then load them into MODX, but recording is just much direct and also faster.

Posted : 14/02/2023 10:35 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for responding Dragos :-). In the link you provided, that poster was trying to record something previously recorded in Nuendo, into MODX pattern sequencer in real time. An interesting idea - but I'm looking for direct import, closer to what you mentioned (importing a MIDI file).

Whether something is "easier" is relative and individual. What I didn't mention in my question is that I have over 50 songs already done in Cubase, which were imported into a Motif pattern sequencer at one time. I'd like to, if possible, import them into my MODX if possible.

I also didn't mention - I produce full time and sequence on Cubase at least a few hours every day. I can FLY on Cubase. A keyboard sequencer will never compare to a computer DAW in power and ease of use, really.
(and they're not intended to).

So for anyone reading - the question still stands - can I import a MIDI file (prepared in Cubase) into the MODX pattern sequencer? Thanks 🙂

Posted : 14/02/2023 3:44 pm
Prominent Member

You have two SLIGHTLY different questions so to be clear for others I will repeat them.

Question: Is it possible to create patterns (4/8 bar MIDI tracks, etc.) in Cubase, and them port them over into the MODX sequencer (via MODX Connect, or perhaps as a .MIDI file)?
. . .
So for anyone reading - the question still stands - can I import a MIDI file (prepared in Cubase) into the MODX pattern sequencer? Thanks 🙂

No - you can NOT port 'patterns' from Cubase itself - MODX Connect can port them
Yes - you CAN import MIDI files

1. go to 'Performance Home'
2. select 'Play Rec' to go to the pattern sequencer
3. select 'Edit Job'
4. select 'Load .mid file' from the lower right side of the screen

See page 30 of the Supp doc.

Release 2.50 added some additional pattern functionality that is documented in the Supplementary Manual - I don't think the original docs have ever been updated.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/8/1219148/modx_en_sm_c0.pdf

The 'slight' difference between the two questions is because although a pattern INCLUDES midi data it is NOT a midi file. A patterns are a separate 'object' and has its own proprietary format.

So you save a pattern to a midi file and you can import a midi file into a pattern but the 'pattern' itself can only be manipulated by Yamaha tools (or John Melas software) that understand the proprietary format.

I'm currently studying all things "MODX Pattern Sequencer"

Then you definitely should download the Supp doc.

Now would be the time to start going through that doc and exploring ALL of the 'job' functions available.

Pay particular attention to how the pattern functionality is strucutured as to: scenes, tracks, events and parts. While MIDI files have tracks those correspond more to 'channels' and 'parts' in MODX.

And MIDI has no equivalent of scenes so you need to be 'scene' aware when you import/export things.

Posted : 14/02/2023 4:59 pm
Bad Mister

In Cubase you will want to set your Preferences -- Go to Preferences> MIDI > MIDI File
Here, you want to setup exactly what Cubase will export when you go to FILE > Export > MIDI File

Basically, the MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+ will not read things like Cubase Markers, etc _ Simply mark "Export as Type 0" and set the "Export Resolution" to 480 pulses per quarter note.

You can record in Cubase as you normally do - your parameter limitations will be as follows:
__ All measures in each MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+ Pattern Scene will be at the same Time Signature and all Scenes share the current Tempo
__ Maximum "Length" for a Pattern Scene is 256 Measures. There are 8 Scenes per Pattern location.
__ All data on a MIDI Channel will be merged to a correspondingly numbered Track... That is, all data designated MIDI Channel 1 will arrive in the synth's sequencer on Track 1, all data designated MIDI Channel 2 will arrive on Track 2 and so on.
__ When you export your Cubase data as a MIDI File, you can LOAD it directly to the synth's sequencer. Use a USB Stick that you use with your MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+
Go to [UTILITY] > "Contents" > "Load" > Set "Content Type" = .mid File
Highlight your .mid file press [ENTER] > Set the SONG/PATTERN to PATTERN
When you select PATTERN there are 128 Patterns available... each has 8 looping SCENES; for example, if you select Pattern 01, you would load the first section to Pattern 01, Scene 1 (again maximum length per a Scene is 256).

It is not clear how you are going to or even if you are going to subdivide the .MID data into looping musical sections or if you plan to load the entire thing to one SCENE (maximum 256 measures).

If you choose SONG - the playback will be linear. There are 128 MIDI Song locations. There is no specific measure length limit... nor is the limitation of a single Time Signatures/Tempo.

__ Your loaded data will always be accessible once loaded -- The synth has a dedicated FOLDER in which it keeps up to 128 SONGs and 128 PATTERNs (or until the memory full; whichever comes first). The only way to get rid of your .MID data: you must manually DELETE a .MID File from the synth's memory, or execute "Initialize All Data" or load a Backup File that contains other data which does not include your SONG/PATTERN data.

You can always find your loaded data by going to [UTILITY] > "Contents" > "Data Utility" > There you will find a FOLDER for PATTERNS and FOLDER for SONGS.

Posted : 14/02/2023 5:56 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Andrew too bad you couldn't be more specific and answer the question directly totally just kidding oh my god you nailed it 🙂 LOL!!!! I'll get right to work on that support doc! Thanks!

Posted : 14/02/2023 5:57 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister - thank you so very kindly! Exactly what I need to do what I want. I have many tunes prepared as "pattern sets" (my term) which I had previously loaded into my Motif XF for live performance. I'm hoping to load these into my MODX now, and you've shown me exactly how do to it.

As for the sounds being played by whatever tracks, I'll take time to experiment with what's available on the MODX, but it's a HUGE relieve that I don't have to re-sequence everything again, eh?

gRADDitude ! - Pete Radd

Posted : 14/02/2023 7:55 pm
Prominent Member

Andrew too bad you couldn't be more specific and answer the question directly

Sorry - seems I can never stay on topic. I wonder if that is what blew my jingle writing career out of the water?

Here is an older thread where Bad Mister provides additional pattern info and advice along the lines of what he posted above.
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/storing-linked-pattern-performance-song

Also, if this isn't the article by Blake you referred to you may want to review it
https://yamahasynth.com/learn/modx/mastering-modx-pattern-workflow-and-control-improvements-in-os-v2-5

It has info about pattern chaining, undo/redo, recording controller movement and overdubbing.
When you record a pattern any controller movements you make, even accidentally, will get recorded as well.

And, since you clearly seem to have a lot of time on your hands (LOL!), figured I might point out a couple of other areas you may want to consider that can help with this:

The other reason is that these patterns would be set up as "live jams" which my band would play along with in a live setting.

SCENES - if you haven't done so you may be interested in how scenes can help you.

There are 8 scenes (not talking 'pattern scenes' right now) available and each one can store its own set of performance and part parameters. When you switch from one scene to another the new scenes stored parameter values come into effect.

So each scene could have a different mix of active parts, arpeggios and parameters.

LIVE SETS - this lets you create your own 'set list' so when you do those live jams you just select the next performance from your live set list rather than have to search around for it in the main list of performances.

A live set entry can have an associated song/other that gets loaded with it.

Naturally there are 'Mastering MODX' articles that go into the details.

Posted : 14/02/2023 9:10 pm
Bad Mister

Yes, this will save you from having to re-record everything -- but you will need to reconstruct your 16 Part MIXING setups... Fortunately, all 1350+ Motif XF Voices are included as Single Part (green) Performances. Here's how you can work...

If you want to work in a similar fashion as you did on the Motif XF __ one Track at a time; 16 Tracks/16 Parts; use the following simple workflow template to proceed:

From the HOME screen tap the letters “FX” on the very top line of your screen
Set the KBD CTRL LOCK = ON
Return to HOME

This will place your synth in a state where you will be working with a single Part at a time (like the Motif XF). The act of *selecting* a Part means you are prepared to play just that Part with your Keys, Controllers, etc. (You can ignore the KBD CTRL icons — you only need to *select* (tap) the Part you wish to communicate with, and go).

While the KBD CTRL LOCK is ON, only the Part you directly select will sound
While the KBD CTRL LOCK is ON, only the currently selected Part will be recorded

Next:
Start with an initialized MULTI Performance.
Press [CATEGORY]
Set “Bank/Favorite” = All
Set “Attribute” = All
Select “INIT” > “Multi/GM”

This creates a Performance with sixteen ‘placeholders’, one in each Part... exactly like a Multi Mixing setup in the Motif XF
When you select a Part, 1-16, you are immediately in touch with it.
Starting with any of 16 Parts, begin your Search to replace the placeholders one-by-one…

In this state, only the Part slot you *select* will sound… and since each Part has its own correspondingly numbered Track… you can proceed one at a time (traditional sequencing)

Select, for example, Part 1
Press [CATEGORY]
This will launch the “Part 1 - Category Search”
Set the “Bank/Favorite” = All
But this time set the “Attribute” = Single
This will limit your Part search to the more than 1350+ Single Part instruments (listed in green) found in the synth’s Factory set, along with others you’ve collected in your User Bank and/or installed Libraries.

In this scenario: You will not be using the KBD CTRL icon while recording… if you plan to, ultimately, “play along” on top of your sequence, then you would activate the KBD CTRL icon on the Part, or Parts, you wish to trigger live. Once activated then STORE > and NAME your new User Performance.

Hope that helps.

Extra Credit:
To turn OFF the KBD CTRL LOCK simply activate more than one KBD CTRL - this will automatically undo the LOCK.
__ When you create your New Performances - you can NAME them (appropriately) for the composition title and [STORE] them to your USER BANK.

HINTs: When you wish to recall a particular composition remember to go to the Sequencer - it is the Sequence that can recall the Performance. From any HOME screen:
Touch "Play/Rec" you will be taken to the MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+ Sequencer
Touch "Pattern"...
You can select any of the Patterns - and since the Pattern can be 'linked' to the Performance used to create it... by recalling the Pattern Title (NAME), you can automatically have the instrument recall the appropriate Performance.
__ The Pattern & (the linked) Performance can be placed in a LIVE SET - making it easy to access one after the other.

Posted : 14/02/2023 9:15 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us