Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can you assign a knob or buttons to send a program change to a part set as zone for an external synth?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have an external synth that gets midi signals through the MODX.

I set a part for it, turned on the zone setting to transmit to CH2; so I can play the synth from my MODX as master keyboard. Although to change a program, I need to click the part, edit, go in the zone settings and change the "MIDI Pgm Num"; which is a pain if you are browsing sounds.

Is there a way to assign a control on the MODX so it will send the program change message to the external synth? I tried to select the field and press "Control Assign" but that does not work.

Posted : 03/05/2020 4:42 am
Topic starter

I assume that there is no way to do so.

Not a big deal in the end; I can just cycle by going in the zone settings, although a more direct way to do so by assigning a knob instead of diving in the menu would be a great improvement!

Posted : 06/05/2020 6:34 am
Bad Mister

You assume correctly... Program Change is its own special category of MIDI message. Look it up.
Mastering MONTAGE: Zone Master FAQ

Posted : 06/05/2020 9:21 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Changing Performances can send PC messages - so you could have a matrix of Performances with the same internal sounds on one page of Live Set then push a different Live Set "button" (touchscreen square - or "slot" ) to send a different PC as the only difference in these Performances could be the PC setting for the PART under zone control for sending to your external gear.

I prefer ways to keep everything within a single Performance - but this may be a reasonable workaround to get a "one touch" solution. Due to SSS - you shouldn't have any interruptions in your sound as long as you're not holding down chords "forever" through multiple Live Set changes. You use the same tone generator PARTs for all Performances here - so everything should be seamless from the tone generator perspective. Montage even has physical buttons that map to live sets. This is MODX - so you have to use touchscreen - but I mention this as Montage users can use this and still use physical buttons to "send" a PC by way of pressing the Number A[1]-[4] / A [9]-[12], Number B[1]-[4], and Number C[1]-[4] buttons when Live Set is used. So Montage doesn't have to use the touch screen for this.

Posted : 07/05/2020 2:22 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us