Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to load a Library File onto my USB stick on MODX?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

How can I load a Library File onto my USB stick on MODX?

Posted : 08/05/2020 5:01 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Language is a funny thing - and some folks use "load" interchangeably with "save" - so I'm not clear yet what you want to do even if you used the terms correctly.

When I think of putting stuff "onto" a USB stick - I think of this as the USB not having something then MODX is going to place data on the USB stick. If this is what you want - then this would be saving. MODX would be saving a library onto a USB flash drive.

Or loading a library would be starting with a USB stick that has a library file (X7L or X8L extension) already. Probably put there by first being in a Mac/PC and copying a file from my computer to the USB stick. Loading a library always transfers data FROM the USB stick TO MODX (one of the library slots).

So what are you trying to do?

You get there in general by pressing [UTILITY] then pressing the "Content" button on the touchscreen - then selecting the operation you're after and selecting Library.

Posted : 08/05/2020 6:17 pm
Topic starter

"When I think of putting stuff "onto" a USB stick - I think of this as the USB not having something then MODX is going to place data on the USB stick. If this is what you want - then this would be saving. MODX would be saving a library onto a USB flash drive."

yes the quote above is what i want to do!!
so yes i am trying to "SAVE"
how can i do so?
thanks in adavance.

Posted : 12/05/2020 8:57 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

MODX Reference manual modx_en_rm_a0.pdf page 201.

[UTILITY] -> "Contents" -> "Store/Save" menu. Pick "Library File" as the content type.

There's also info here: https://www.yamahasynth.com/synths/user-and-library

What this does is save off your user area as a Library (X8L) file.

If you want to save a Library file and pull from one or more Libraries that are inside your MODX - then you'll first want to save off your user area (perhaps even creating a full backup as well - X8A). You can save the user area as a user file (X8U). After saving, you can initialize your user area (user area only - not the entire keyboard). Now your user area will be clean. Note - this assumes you do not want to "mix" user Performances with a Library. Then you would use "Library Import" (also in [UTILITY] section) which copies Performances from the Library selected and allows to select one or more Performances inside the Library. The data is copied to your user area and also copies the Waveforms (samples) so the Performance is intact without referencing the Library area. Then you can save a Library as described above which will have assembled your existing Library or Libraries into a new Library file with different contents (maybe some Performances removed - maybe Library Performances from multiple Libraries "mixed" aka assembled into the user area).

Posted : 12/05/2020 9:25 pm
Bad Mister

The MODX will Save the current User Bank data to your USB stick as a Library (.X8L) here's how:

Press [UTILITY]
Touch “Contents” > “Store/Save”
Set the “Content Type” = LIBRARY FILE

This will Save the following internal MODX data to a .X8L file... on your USB stick.
_ All User Performances — you can review your current a User Performances by pressing [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > tap the Folder named “Performances” there maybe several Pages and a readout of how many out of the 640 are occupied in the upper right corner.
_ All User Arpeggios — you can view your current a User Arpeggios by pressing [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > tap the Folder named “Arpeggios” there maybe several Pages and there is a readout of how many out of the 256 are occupied.
_ All User Motion Sequences — you can view your current a User Motion Sequences by pressing [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > tap the Folder named “Motion Seq” > “User” — you can have 256 total User Motion Sequences.
_ All User Curves — you can view your current a User Curves by navigating to the CONTROL ASSIGN screen within any Part > touch “Curve Type” > select “User” — a maximum of 32 User Curves can be saved to each Library.
_ All User Live Sets — you can view your current a User Live Sets by pressing [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > tap the Folder named “Live Set” — you can have 8 User Banks of Live Sets per Library.
_ All User MicroTunings — you can view your current User MicroTunings by navigating to “Part Settings” > “Pitch” screen within any AWM2 Part or by navigating to the “Pitch/Filter” > “Pitch” screen within any FM-X Part > tap “MicroTuning Name“ > “User” — a maximum of 8 MicroTunings can be saved to each Library.
_ All User Waveforms — you can view your current a User Waveforms by pressing [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > tap the Folder named “Waveform” — you can have a maximum of 2,048 Waveforms or 1.8GB total, whichever comes first.
_ All User Audition Phrases — you can have a maximum of xxx User Audition Phrases.

A .X8L File can then be loaded to one of 8 ROM Library location in your MODX. Giving you access to any and all of that data when building your own sounds. A Library file that has been LOADED into the MODX will remain there until you either DELETE it or Initialize your entire MODX. In other words, you cannot overwrite it by mistake. It is in semi-permanent READ ONLY MEMORY... same as the Factory Preset data.

Posted : 12/05/2020 9:32 pm
Topic starter

Wow all of this is amazing information! I definitely appreciate you , Jason and and Bad mister! I learned exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks

Posted : 13/05/2020 10:13 am
Trusted Member

My church has a MODX8. I don't want to blow away their User Bank because several keyboardists use that synth.
If I (finally) understand the memory structure, should I save my User Bank at home as a Library, and then load the library onto the church's MODX? And if I do that it won't affect their User Bank?

Posted : 03/10/2021 9:51 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That is correct. Loading libraries does not affect the user bank.

Posted : 04/10/2021 8:44 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

John Melas tools can be of great help here.

Especially the Waveform Editor ( http://www.jmelas.gr/montage/wave.php) which, as opposed to his other tools, works on files (the rest of the tools work directly on the Montage / MODX).
You can convert X8U files to X8L Library files, open multiple libraries and copy / merge contents among them etc.

There are some nice walkthroughs in the Music Production Guides:
http://www.musicproductionguide.eu/MPG/MusicProductionGuide_2019_02_EN.pdf
https://www.musicproductionguide.eu/MPG/MusicProductionGuide_2021_01_EN.pdf

Posted : 04/10/2021 11:18 am
Bad Mister

You can think of the Library File as your User Bank saved in a format that lets you *install* your data into the ROM (Read Only Memory) of a MODX. Library Files, .X8L can be installed into a MODX Library location without disturbing the current USER Bank in your church’s instrument.

This will work if there is enough memory on their FLASH to allow you to install your data. The MODX can have a maximum of 1 GB of data, or 8 Libraries (whichever comes first). Once either one of those limits is reached you will not be able to load additional data.

File Management like a ‘boss’
You can do your church a favor by making them a copy of their USER Bank (.X8U)… first thing, when you sit at the unit. You can simply restore their data when you are done.

This way, not only can you restore it exactly as it was when you leave… but you now can freely [STORE] any Performances to that instrument if you need to make on the spot improvements… (remember, you cannot just add to a ROM Library by pressing [STORE] — If you need to make tweaks on the spot, you can Store them to the internal User Bank.

While loading/installing your data to a Library is one solution, it will work for you as long as there is room to do so. Knowing what to do when this is not possible is going to be useful information.

And to complete your available options:
— Make sure the church’s MODX has up to date firmware; as this can greatly impact what gets loaded to the instrument.
— Not only should you make a User File of the church’s data, you should make an actual BACKUP File (.X8A).
This option will make a complete clone of the MODX… *All* User data including the linear MIDI Song Sequencer and the Pattern Sequencer data get included in this file. The BACKUP File allows you to “take your MODX with you”

Say you have Library sounds that you want to use, that are not in the church instrument. If you bring your own BACKUP File (.X8A), you can turn the church’s MODX into your MODX (clone). You can restore the church’s BACKUP File (.X8A) at the end of the session.

Last tip: I highly recommend you keep several USB sticks. One is the one you travel with, a second is a safety, kept for emergencies. And finally, drag a copy of your data to your computer as a super safety. On each of the USB sticks you travel with, keep a copy of the latest MODX firmware (keep it in the root directory, and overwrite it with each new firmware release).

Hope that helps.

Posted : 04/10/2021 11:26 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us