Notifications
Clear all

How to setup a KBoardPro4 midi controller on a modx

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Jack
Topic starter

I've been struggling to setup a Keith McMillen KBoardPro4 on a modx8. Using the Keith McMillen midi expander, the KBoard is hooked up with a midi cable to the modx Midi in port. But what next? That's what I can't figure out.

The outstanding feature of the KBoard is it has XYZ control in addition to the usual strike and hold down of normal keyboards. Using the software utility that comes with the KBoard and Windows (in my case), I can edit what CC signals it sends, which for the XYZ axes is currently CC 1, 74, 7. It has MPE zones. I've enabled this and set Number of Channels to 8.

I've read the thread on "Controlling MODX with external USB Midi keyboards." But that doesn't really say how to set something like this up, especially for a non-expert like me. My goal is to have strike and hold down work as usual, and the X axis signal control pitch bend (pitch vibrato, finger wobble side to side) and the Z axis signal control volume (volume vibrato, finger pressure). Later I'll use the Y axis (slide finger forward and back) for effects like bringing in pads.

Perhaps my understand is off, since Z axis is very much related to strike?

The KBoard has just started shipping, after about a two year delay. If it's as good as it looks, I would guess a fair number of modx owners will be trying just what I'm trying to do, so I suspect it would be well worth developing some permanent reference material on a typical setup so folks can get started.

Thanks. This is my first humble post.

Posted : 01/07/2019 12:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Default for Z is aftertouch. You may want to stick to aftertouch. You can always program aftertouch on MODX to offset volume. Depending on what the KB4 allows you to set as ranges for volume on Z pressure - you may not want to use volume. Depends on the flexibility of the volume parameter on the KB4 setup side.

The "first" thing to get setup is your MIDI channel mapping. You'll either want the KB4 to send its MIDI messages on multiple channels (including and/or matching the channels used in the MODX Performances) or setup MODX to single-channel mode.

Posted : 01/07/2019 5:46 pm
 Jack
Topic starter

Thanks for your help. I would be glad to use the Z axis for aftertouch. But how do I do that?

The KBoardPro4 Editor allows setting MPE Mode to Disabled or Enabled. As an experiment to get something working, I've set it to Disabled and Zone Channel to 2.

On the Modx / Utility / Settings / Advanced, I've set Midi IO Mode to Single and Midi IO Channel to CH2.

What is the next step? How can I get a part in a performance to use CH2 to receive the KBoardPro3 signals?

Thanks.

Posted : 06/07/2019 12:11 am
Bad Mister

As an experiment to get something working,...

But that is not working...

It is unclear what you are trying to do. By placing your MODX in MIDI I/O Mode = Single, you have set all the active Parts of the MODX on Channel 2. What are you attempting to do?

First, to get MIDI communication press [UTILITY] > touch “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > set MIDI I/O = MIDI (green is active).

Posted : 06/07/2019 12:48 am
 Jack
Topic starter

"It is unclear what you are trying to do. By placing your MODX in MIDI I/O Mode = Single, you have set all the active Parts of the MODX on Channel 2. What are you attempting to do?"

Thanks. I'm attempting to follow your instructions, which were "You'll either want the KB4 to send its MIDI messages on multiple channels (including and/or matching the channels used in the MODX Performances) or setup MODX to single-channel mode."

The Modx was already in single channel mode with CH2. I have interpreted "or" in your instructions to mean that if you use single channel on the Modx, then I should not send multiple channels from the KB4. So I disabled MPE Mode and changed Zone Channel from 1 to 2, in order to hopefully match CH2 on the Modx.

Regarding "First, to get MIDI communication press [UTILITY] > touch “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > set MIDI I/O = MIDI (green is active)."

I went there and it was on USB, so I changed it to Midi. All of a sudden, we have sound!!! Thanks so much !!!! The Z axis works to control volume. Quiver the pressure and you have volume vibrato.

However, a few problems remain. First, after I play any note on the KB4, the entire Modx keyboard is dead. No notes play. Switching to another performance causes them to all play. But if I play one note on the KB4, all notes on the Modx are dead again.

The second problem is how to setup the Modx so that the KB4 controls only certain parts, instead of all. My typical goal here is to play piano or organ with the left hand, and strings with the right hand. I can do this now with just the Modx and it works beautifully, which is why I bought it. But I have no good vibrato in the right hand strings. That's what I want the KB4 to allow me to do.

Can you point me to how to get started on setting part input to the external midi controller or the Modx?

Thanks again.

Posted : 06/07/2019 2:19 am
Bad Mister

First, to get MIDI communication press [UTILITY] > touch “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > set MIDI I/O = MIDI (green is active).
Plug a standard 5-pin MIDI cable from your external controller’s MIDI Out to the MIDI In of the MODX.
From the Home screen: Press [CATEGORY] > touch “Init” > Select “Multi/GM”
This will place a sound on each MIDI Channel 1-16 (as you are having trouble figuring out your keyboard, not supported here) this way you will be able to quickly see and hear which Parts respond... the activity meters in the MODX screen will indicate which Part is receiving — if you see Part 2 responding you can assume that your external controller is transmitting on MIDI Channel 2

Posted : 06/07/2019 1:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us