Notifications
Clear all

Loading Soundfonts into MODX

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

If I understand correctly, soundfonts can be converted and loaded into the MODX' expansion memory, by using third-party software. Which software does this, or more to the point, does this most easily and reliably? Possibilities...

John Melas' Waveform Editor?
Sample Robot?
Chicken Systems Translator?
Something else?

Posted : 05/03/2023 2:12 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=120577]Which software does this, or does this most easily and reliably? Possibilities...

John Melas' Waveform Editor?
Sample Robot?
Chicken Systems Translator?
Something else?[/quotePost]
On John Melas Waveform page it says that it does:
http://www.jmelas.gr/montage/wave.php

Posted : 05/03/2023 4:34 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I own the older (MOXF/MotifXF) version of Waveform Editor. I wonder how smoothly that process would work... use the old version to convert the soundfont to the MOXF/MotifXF format (which includes generating the Voices), then use the MODX' ability to recognize MOXF/MotifXF stuff to bring those Voices (and their associated wave data) into the MODX.

Posted : 06/03/2023 3:14 pm
Prominent Member

I own the older (MOXF/MotifXF) version of Waveform Editor. I wonder how smoothly that process would work... use the old version to convert the soundfont to the MOXF/MotifXF format (which includes generating the Voices), then use the MODX' ability to recognize MOXF/MotifXF stuff to bring those Voices (and their associated wave data) into the MODX.

Why wonder?

Just try it and see what you get.

Posted : 06/03/2023 5:59 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=120588]Why wonder?

Just try it and see what you get.[/quotePost]
It's likely to be time consuming. I'd rather save the time if someone else looks at that scenario and knows off the bat that it won't work, or alternately, could guide me around some possible pitfalls. Other people's experiences. The internet can be really helpful for that sort of thing. 😉

Posted : 06/03/2023 6:48 pm
Member Admin

[quotePost id=120589][quotePost id=120588]Why wonder?

Just try it and see what you get.[/quotePost]
It's likely to be time consuming. I'd rather save the time if someone else looks at that scenario and knows off the bat that it won't work, or alternately, could guide me around some possible pitfalls. Other people's experiences. The internet can be really helpful for that sort of thing. ;-)[/quotePost]

Halleluja !!!

This gentle reminder needs to be strung from all screens through which programmers stare at their interwebs.

Posted : 07/03/2023 5:03 pm

This may not be what you are looking for, but the other day I downloaded some large piano Soundfonts from a Google site and transferred them to the Files area of my iPad Pro. I bought an $8 soundfonts app player that can load the soundfonts, and then played the soundfonts from this iPad app on my MODX+ through the USB-C hub connection. The pianos had some detail but they just weren't playing all that nicely, delays, clarity issues etc. It wasn't worth my time to explore them further. They probably aren't going to be like VST quality. However one of these days I would like to try the Ravenscroft or PurePiano iOS piano "VST-like" apps on the MODX. But that's if you are into exploring quality pianos. Not sure what you are planning to do with the soundfonts.

Posted : 17/03/2023 5:50 am
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Yes, Richard. playing the soundfonts via an attached iPad is another solution, and may indeed be the easiest (since so far no one here has chimed in and said that converting them and loading them into the MODX is a piece of cake). But if I could just turn on the MODX and have them in there already, that would be preferable. I happen to have some soundfonts that I like the sound of (some are custom ones I created some time back, others are downloaded), and if I can easily put them into the MODX, it would be a nice way to make use of some of that memory in there. It would be easier than bringing in the raw samples and then assembling them into playable sounds

Posted : 17/03/2023 11:28 pm

AnotherScott,

I don't know much about external software options to try that. I do know that it's possible to load soundfonts into the Yamaha SX900/Genos arrangers via the Yamaha Expansion manager software. I will try that once I get the SX900.

Posted : 18/03/2023 12:41 am
Member Admin

Does Cuckoo still have his MODX? This sounds like something he'd be able to nut out. Anyone got his email address and can ask him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Vh2p9S2GE

Posted : 18/03/2023 1:46 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us