Notifications
Clear all

Master EQ question.

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Paul
Topic starter

Is the Master EQ effecting all of the performances in a Live Set or is it on an individual performance level?

Posted : 04/12/2018 4:46 pm
Stefan

Master EQ is done on the individual performance level. It is stored with the performance, same as the master effects. In general except for the volume, the Live Set is not affecting the performances at all.

Posted : 04/12/2018 5:37 pm
 Paul
Topic starter

Thanks Stefan. I was hoping for a global eq in the Live Set.

Posted : 04/12/2018 6:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That's part of the struggle of trying to balance simplicity with flexibility. Flexibility means more options which presents a problem in the simplicity department. Over time, this generation has added items to the "global" area that were once placed only in the Performance-level configuration. It's a short list.

I think, as in many other cases, the solution will be to purchase a mixer with its own EQ to post-process MODX's outputs through an additional stage which allows for global EQ. Just an EQ (dedicated) would work too - but you may find a mixer as more of a "Swiss Army knife" than a more dedicated module.

There are lots of great suggestions for bringing this-or-that as a global setting. The suggestion to buy something is pragmatic - not dismissing your request. With a long list of requests for "global" migration/options, it may be a while before you see movement, if ever.

Posted : 05/12/2018 3:32 am
Stefan

Thanks Stefan. I was hoping for a global eq in the Live Set.

I believe I see where you are coming from: in some cases it would be nice to have a global EQ to adapt to the amplifier / the location / your ears to compensate for any shortcomings. I guess the answer is that that's not the most important use case because in most cases the mixer or the amp has some sort of EQ which can be used for that. But I would have liked that as well for the headphones...

Posted : 05/12/2018 6:50 pm
Bad Mister

In the predecessor to the MONTAGE/MODX series (MOTIF XS/XF and MO-series) there was a VOICE mode, the role of the Master EQ was it was an overall EQ while you played in Voice Mode. The settings made in the MASTER EQ applied to every Voice in Voice Mode. But when you combined Voices into Performances - each Performance, being autonomous, it could store its own settings for the Master EQ.

VOICE mode has been eliminated in the new synths, and with it is gone the ‘one Master EQ that applied to all of Voice mode’.

In the MONTAGE/MODX the Master EQ is available for all Parts in the current Performance... could be one, could be sixteen Parts.
Each Part has a 3-band EQ pre the Insertion Effect block and a 2-band EQ post the Insert Effect block. But all Parts going to the Main L&R Output go through the Master EQ.

If you want have situation where you want to EQ for the venue, you do not want to have to reprogram your entire Performance to match the room acoustics... this is now a job for your “sound system”... When playing live, the typical solution is the MIXER you connect to before going to your sound reinforcement loudspeakers. This “house” EQ is typically handled by the venue’s soundperson. If you are in a DIY (do it yourself) situation, then a small format mixer before sending your synth’s signal to the speaker system is highly recommended.

It would also solve the situation for you monitoring yourself onstage or creating a separate headphone volume for yourself.
Quality small format mixers, like the Yamaha MG series may prove ideal for many situation, giving you option on routing and EQ.

Posted : 05/12/2018 9:43 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Other options would be a 5-band EQ on the Mackie ProFX4v2. Or double the channels and get a 7-band EQ in the Mackie ProFX8v2. Both Mackies support balanced outputs (TRS, not XLR). The MG series is fine and offers 3-band EQ (except MG06). 2 or 3-band is industry standard for the smaller mixers. The MG series is not only balanced but also supports XLR outputs all the way down to the lowest end MG06. XLR is generally what you'll find your soundman is happy with or else, right-or-wrong as a reflex, you generally get thrown a DI box even if your 1/4" is balanced.

The Behringer Xenyx 802 is a minimalist board with 3-band EQ (outputs appear to be unbalanced).

Not sure how many bands you need/desire for your EQ. Depending on how much time you have to fiddle - less may end up being better. In which case the MG series starts looking more like a glove - at least for what I tend to look for.

Posted : 05/12/2018 10:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us