5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Axel
Topic starter

Hi there,

my question ist about the parameter

Edit - Part x - Element x - Amplitude - Amp EG - Release Adj

I have a rather vague idea of what it could mean, but could anyone give me a more understandable explanation than the one given in the Reference Manual?

Thanks a lot,
Axel

Posted : 13/07/2023 1:38 pm
Prominent Member

my question ist about the parameter

Edit - Part x - Element x - Amplitude - Amp EG - Release Adj

I have a rather vague idea of what it could mean, but could anyone give me a more understandable explanation than the one given in the Reference Manual?

As far as my tests show Release Adj appears to be an OFFSET to the Time/Key parameter.

Here is how to SEE what is happening when you change those two parameters.

1. Create a new INIT NORMAL (AWM2) performance
2. Go to that Amp EG page for Element 1 (the only element)
3. For the following steps focus on the top right diagram - the one that (for now) has a red and yellow line)
4. Center Key - this is the yellow line - change the value from default C0 slowly up to C3 (middle C) and see how the line moves - basically a keyboard split. Leave the value at C3
5. Time/Key - this is the red line - change the value from default 0 slowly up to 63. Leave the value at 63. Notice how the red line slope gradually increases and ROTATES AROUND the Center Key value. Notice also that blue/grey line appears and also rotates.
6. Release Adj - this is the blue/grey line - change the value from default 64 slowly down to 0 and then back up to 64. Notice how this parameter changes the slope of the blue/grey line but does NOT affect the red line.
7. Center Key - change this value and see how the red and blue/grey lines move back and forth but keep the same slope relative to each other. There impact stays the same when you move the center key but if you change either one they will rotate around whatever the Center Key point is.
8. OFFSET - the blue/grey line value will be ADDED/SUBTRACTED from the red line value to calculate the final value for TIME - the higher the value the longer the time the envelope lasts.

1. Same setup as above
2. Change the Release Time to 120
3. Center Key C3
4. TIme/Key +63
5. Release Adj is default 64
6. Play and release C4 and count how many seconds before the sound dies out - I get around 20
7. Play and release C3 and count - I get from 30-40
8. Play and release C2 and count - I get 50 or more seconds

Try notes that are even further from Center Key (C3) and you will hear even more of a change.

The slope of the lines show how the time (envelope length) gets higher or lower. The slope of the Release Adj line shows how much OFFSET is being applied to the Time/Key value and the distance of the key you play from the Center Key moves you higher or lower on the lines and changes the overall time value differently.

NOTE: Page 123 of the Reference Doc says this about Release Adj

Release Adj (AEG Time Key Follow Sensitivity Center Key Release Adjustment)
Determines the sensitivity of AEG Time Key Follow Sensitivity to AEG Release. The lower the value, the
lower the sensitivity.
Settings: 0–127
127: Sets the AEG Time Key Follow Sensitivity to the value of Decay 1 or Decay 2.
0: Produces no effect in the AEG Time Key Follow Sensitivity

I have no idea why it says 'to the value of Decay 1 or Decay 2' instead of just saying one or the other. Maybe it sets it to the higher value? The Lower? I don't know.

Posted : 13/07/2023 6:03 pm
Bad Mister

In an AWM2 sample-based program Decay 1 and Decay 2 refer to the condition of the envelope at the time the Release is called.

In other words, when you are dealing with samples, typically they are looped so that they can be made to continue sounding as long as you hold a key down. Take a string sample… typically, the string sample is looped - this makes it flexible for all types of playing.

The AEG for looped strings will have a significant DECAY 2 LEVEL, it it this that allows you to hold the string sound with the key (or sustain pedal). If DECAY 2 LEVEL is 0, however, the sound will die out eventually even if you continue holding the key (or sustain pedal) — how long it takes to fade to silence will depend on how long the DECAY 1 and DECAY 2 TIME settings delay it from happening.

But at the instant you release the key, poof, RELEASE TIME takes over. (Btw - there is no Release Level, it is assumed to be silence).

The AEG has a TIME factor which determines how much time it takes to travel between the LEVEL points… but notice if you let go of the Key, the envelope immediately jumps to the RELEASE Time parameter.

If you play a staccato note the Attack is executed, but because the Time is only to DECAY 1 — its from this point it is sent directly to RELEASE Time.
If you play a longer note, so that DECAY 1 stage is completed and you are now somewhere in DECAY 2 TIME area of the envelope when you release the key, the value determined by DECAY 2 is used as it proceeds to RELEASE Time.

This is how the response to AEG can be made so dynamic. Within the AEG you are given parameters that *scale* the response (low to high) across the keys, and a separate of parameters set that tailor it to key velocity.

In the acoustic world of music instruments, the lower the note typically, the longer it will ring (longer release time) and the higher the note the shorter the release time. Certainly, to mimic this behavior you need to scale how the AEG is applied low-to-high…

“Release Adj” allows you to vary the response across the keyboard… it allows you to adjust how fast or slow the Release Time (Key Off) at the upper and lower extremes around a “Center Key”
If set to Release Adj = 0, then low and high envelopes will release together… with the same timing.
If Release Adj is at higher settings, with a + (positive) “Time/Key” setting, this will make low note release times longer than high note release time. At a - (negative) “Time/Key” setting the high notes will ring longer than the low notes (going against nature).

A setting of 64 (neutral) — the idea is to allow the individual to customize it to the response that works for your situation.

Posted : 13/07/2023 8:33 pm
Prominent Member

If I understand you correctly then this

127: Sets the AEG Time Key Follow Sensitivity to the value of Decay 1 or Decay 2.

Means the value at the time the key was released - which could be a value within Decay 1 or a value within Decay 2.

So Release Adj

Settings: 0–127
0: Produces no effect in the AEG Time Key Follow Sensitivity

Values between 0 and 127 will scale based on 0 to Decay1/Decay2 as an Offset to the TIme/Key.

Posted : 13/07/2023 9:53 pm
 Axel
Topic starter

Thank you, Andrew and Bad Mister! Your answers helped a lot and experimentation based on your explanations completed it.

I understand that it is somewhat difficult to cover all the complex relations within the synth with a rather short description in the reference manual. So it’s a good thing to know that we can always come back to the forum to find great explanations by you!

Posted : 14/07/2023 6:01 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us