Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX as a 4-zone sound module - splitting keyboard

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, I have a question I hadn't found here - regarding playing MODX sounds from external keys, while enabling split zones.

For example:
EXT keys have 4 zones enabled (MIDI ch. 9-12), with full range (C-2 - G8) for each zone.
MODX Part 9 is El.Piano, with range C-2 - B2, Part 10 is SynLead, with range C3 - G8

If I play EXT keys, will it "understand" the ranges made in MODX parts? I mean - will MODX "understand" that I am playing the EXT keys for Parts 9-10, with ranges as set in MODX, but full ranges in zones for MIDI ch 9-10 on EXT keys? So I have ElPiano in my left hand, and Lead in right hand...

tnx!

Posted : 03/11/2021 12:29 pm
Bad Mister

Hi, I have a question I hadn't found here - regarding playing MODX sounds from external keys, while enabling split zones.

For example:
EXT keys have 4 zones enabled (MIDI ch. 9-12), with full range (C-2 - G8) for each zone.
MODX Part 9 is El.Piano, with range C-2 - B2, Part 10 is SynLead, with range C3 - G8

If I play EXT keys, will it "understand" the ranges made in MODX parts? I mean - will MODX "understand" that I am playing the EXT keys for Parts 9-10, with ranges as set in MODX, but full ranges in zones for MIDI ch 9-10 on EXT keys? So I have ElPiano in my left hand, and Lead in right hand...

tnx!

Sorry, I’m having difficulty understanding exactly what you are asking… but perhaps this will help.

When a device is the sound module, (the MODX) this means your external keyboard is, typically, responsible for transmitting the zones (note regions) to the sound module. But you are NOT doing that (?) Your external keyboard is transmitting full range. Typically, you set the Note regions on the Transmitting device!!!

Your MODX is set to make sound C-2 thru B2 on Part 9.
Your MODX is set to make sound C3 thru G8 on Part 10.

Note Range parameters on the MODX screen show you what range of Note events will trigger the Part to sound…This is going to be true whether that Note-on event is from the local keys of the MODX or an external keyboard sending in MIDI data.

The settings for the Tone Generator- determine the notes it will be able to sound. The Electric Piano cannot sound above B2, no matter what. The Synth Lead cannot sound below C3, period. (Note Limits).

If you were to use your external keyboard as a master keyboard controller, you could leave the Note Ranges of the MODX to full, because you would be setting the limits from your transmitting external keyboard… you would be telling it to transmit on Ch9 only C-2 thru B2, and transmit on Ch10 only C3 thru G8. The MODX could remain full range (you are not playing its keys anyway) but if you did they would sound the Note Limits as set on the MODX main screen.

It’s your question I don’t understand:
“If I play EXT keys, will it "understand" the ranges made in MODX parts? I mean - will MODX "understand" that I am playing the EXT keys for Parts 9-10, with ranges as set in MODX, but full ranges in zones for MIDI ch 9-10 on EXT keys? So I have ElPiano in my left hand, and Lead in right hand...”

Posted : 04/11/2021 1:45 pm
Topic starter

😀 tnx Bad Mister for the effort in understanding my pidgin English 😀

Well - I know the way it should be done (setting zone ranges in master in order to trigger the "slave" - MODX in this case), but it would also mean that I need the separate programs on my master for every single performance in MODX (and that's a PITA) if those ranges are different for different songs. In MODX it's an natural process to make the ranges for the parts in the performance. So I wanted to know if I can set my master (stupid naming, because it's actually 2nd keys I need for some performances, and MODX is main keybed for each one) once (by activating 4 zones in channels 9 thru 12 with full ranges), and doing the splits/layering on MODX part ranges (for channels 9 thru 12, of course).

My question meant to mean just that: "If I play on 2nd keybed - external one - with full range enabled for zones 9 and 10, while setting part 9 - ElPiano - on MODX with range C-2 thru B2, and part 10 - SynLead - on MODX with range C3 thru G8 - will it work like split ElPiano/SynLead."

You know - this is something pretty important for players that use song-based performances, as it could be seen as an odd approach, but surely useful one for the "master" keys that makes preparing and editing much easier - as everything is done in one place (in "slaved" MODX).

And, as Simbo (user from another forum) checked - it works like that - and that's great! This is something that can't be done on Roland FA, for example... And it could be a deal-breaker for some players 😉

PS: at this moment - I don't have my 2nd keyboard by hand, and I am a new Yamaha user, so wanted to check if it is possible.

Posted : 05/11/2021 7:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Note Range parameters on the MODX screen show you what range of Note events will trigger the Part to sound…This is going to be true whether that Note-on event is from the local keys of the MODX or an external keyboard sending in MIDI data.

If you do not want to limit the note ranges using your external keyboard - that's fine. Do the limiting on MODX. Read the above. Setting these ranges dictates how the MODX will respond to BOTH the local piano keys on MODX or/and MIDI messages coming from an external MIDI device such as a 2nd keyboard. No need to configure your external controller.

The external keyboard has no need to "understand" anything because the MODX will be programmed properly such that each Part has its own range of notes to ignore (outside of given range). The external MIDI device is free to send all notes.

Posted : 05/11/2021 7:50 pm
Topic starter

The external keyboard has no need to "understand" anything...

Yup - I realized I put a wrong relation... tnx for the answers - I just think it would be nice if that's covered in the official Manuals as it's something that could be pretty useful for players...

Posted : 06/11/2021 7:57 am
Prominent Member

Yes, this implementation can be different in different keyboards. I think Yamaha does it the better way. But by contrast, IIRC, the Roland FA ignores its own keyboard range settings when parts are driven over MIDI, they only apply when a sound is triggered from the FA' own keys. So if you assign a sound to be triggered over MIDI on channel 9 but only from middle C on up, on the Yamaha, that's what you get when triggering that sound from an external keys (which especially makes perfect sense on the Yamaha since Parts 9-16 are generally not played from the internal keys!), whereas on the Roland, that sound will be limited to middle C on up ONLY when you're playing part 9 from the Roland's keys. When you trigger that Roland part 9 from an external board, it will play over the full range of your external board's keys, regardless of the key range set for the part, because key ranges are tied to the internal keys only. If you want your external keys to trigger a sound only over a certain range, that zoning has to be done on that external board (or some interim device).

As for the manuals, I believe neither manual explains this. That is, while you are right that the Yamaha manual does not tell you that key range settings are respected when driven externally, likewise, the Roland manual does not tell you they are not. 😉 As I alluded to, the architecture of the MODX kind of implies it has to work the way it does, because it allows you to set key ranges for Parts 9-16 that are not generally designed to be played from the internal keys in the first place. Though other Yamaha models (e.g. Motif series) worked the same way, even though the internal keys were equally adept at playing any of the 16 parts.

I think I have this all right, I expect someone will correct me if I don't. 😉

Posted : 06/11/2021 12:27 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us