Clear all

MODX Connect won't go online

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm unable to get MODX Connect to connect. I got it to connect once a couple days ago, but now nothing. I'm trying to use it as stand alone. I'm able to connect my MODX to Cubase, Mainstage and Soundmondo, but not Connect.

What's the trick?

Posted : 16/06/2019 2:19 am
 fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Never mind. Under the Setup tab the drop down now shows my MODX. Coulda swore I checked that a million times and there was nothing but 'No Assign'. Must be getting old. Anyway, I'm now connected.

Posted : 16/06/2019 2:38 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Glad that worked itself out without much effort. The usual suspect (if you were not able to select MODX in the setup tab) would be the drivers. Without the drivers, I believe the instrument will present as class-compliant "MODX", but not offer the extra features that Connect requires. You can also "get by" without a driver for other applications (such as a DAW, etc) - you just do not get the same flexibility with assigning digital I/O.

I can't speak for Mac - but Windows can eventually "corrupt" a driver install if you plug MODX into different USB ports (which is easy to do). Every time you plug MODX into a different port, Windows will make a new name for your driver to differentiate it from the MODXs that are plugged into the other ports. This is how it works - any time you change a port - the device will be presented with its own "instance". In Windows - there are only so many instances you can have -- and at some point you can "run out".

This behavior presents two different problems. One is that the driver name can change. In which case, you may have to reconfigure your DAW/Connect/etc in order to "point" to the correct/active MODX driver instance. The other problem is a resource one - this "running out" problem. Which can only be cured by uninstalling the Yamaha Steinberg driver and then re-installing. In fact, this is the "cure" for many problems that arise. WebMIDI - what Soundmondo uses - is not tolerant of the secondary instances of MODX. These will be presented with a number BEFORE "MODX". Like "1 MODX", "2 MODX", etc. Not to be confused with the Ports (1, 2, and 3 which would show as "MODX-1", "MODX-2" ). These numbers BEFORE "MODX" are driver instance numbers. WebMIDI (Soundmondo, etc) cannot tolerate using these. At least as of now. It's something they (Yamaha) can code to tolerate, but I'm not aware that's been addressed as of today. So uninstall/reinstall may be something you have to eventually do to get the entire experience to work well for you.

All of this is an FYI - since all you need is working now. But it may help to know some of this for later.

Posted : 16/06/2019 2:56 am
 fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Great info Jason. All good to know. Thanks for the response!

Posted : 16/06/2019 4:00 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us