Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX Update Time

20 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
Stefan

You can download the XF Performances from here: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/downloads.html

I know. But why do I have to waste USER or Libraries slot? Why they don't added this like in Montage 2.5 os update?

Not sure why. But you do realize that the MODX has less flash memory than the Montage, right? Maybe there was not enough space left? But in any case there are 5760 user performance slots available, so they are not as sparse as at DX7 times anymore... 😀

Posted : 25/10/2019 8:16 pm
Eminent Member

There's something like 512 XF performances in the downloaded library. If you don't want to tie up one of your 8 library slots to have them, you could pick the ones you want to keep (I'm guessing you won't want or need all 512 of them) and import those into your User area, then delete the library.

Or just buy a Montage. 🙂

Posted : 26/10/2019 1:33 am
Angelo

Spent quite a bit of time with the MODX 2.0 tonight...and still going! Yamaha, you did your customers a great service with this update, in particular, the phrase sequencer. It is SO nice and immediate to be able to do phrase-based sequencing without having to fire up Live or Beatmaker 3 (what I primarily work with) to drive the synth. The song/phrase editing functions are intuitive and are implemented sensibly...leaps and bounds over the Motif paradigm of operations.

Some initial observations and desires since getting my hands on it:
-the Device USB is a little quirky if you disconnect a device and then reattach it. When reattached, MODX doesn’t even know it’s there.
-wish you can edit the parts (sound editing) while the sequencer is running...you apparently can’t
-related to the above mentioned, you can’t change sounds (presets) while the sequencer is running...bummer not to be able to try out different presets on a given part

The two new effects and high frequency LFO are wonderful additions without a doubt as well!

Once again, THANK YOU Yamaha...I for one appreciate this 2.0 update and hope more major updates on this level are in the works! Bring it

I T A L O forever

Posted : 26/10/2019 4:22 am
Bad Mister

-wish you can edit the parts (sound editing) while the sequencer is running...you apparently can’t

We spend a good portion of the article talking about just that. Until you know where to look you will not see just how much you can edit.

Here’s what you missed: You can edit. The way to approach this is from the viewpoint that it is a Performance Recorder... all item that you can change while performing, of course, can be recorded. The parameters that are available are those that are performing oriented, the parameters that are restricted are those that are construction oriented. Assemble the band before going to the studio!

Example, you can control the Rotary Speaker on the organ sound. You cannot connect and route the Rotary Speaker signal during the time the sequencer is running... please see the following from the article:
Mastering MONTAGE/MODX: Pattern Sequencer Features

Warning message: “Please stop sequencer”:
When using the Play/Rec function, you have restricted access to certain areas of the architecture. You will receive a “Please stop sequencer” warning message when you attempt to select functions outside of the access area. This simply means the area or function you are attempting to access cannot be used while the Sequencer transport is running. We will take a close look at what you can access in real time (during playback and recording functions).

Extra Credit: In general, any function where you are rerouting signal flow, or making a fundamental change to the structure of the Performance itself, will be restricted (off limits). If you wish to add Parts, or reconstruct your Performance data (change controller assignments, effect routing, etc., etc.), you can, but you must temporarily stop the Sequencer, return to the [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] screen, then make your additions and changes.

Pressing [EDIT] while in the Sequencer area reveals Sequencer EDIT functions; Please return to the HOME screen, then press [EDIT] to make changes to the Performance structure.

This does not mean you cannot freely tour around, and change the values to the settings already in place. You will find the selection of functions to which you have real time access lean toward those you use during ‘performing’, over those you use for construction. Those that reconstruct routing are restricted. Once you see it from that view, you can proceed. It is, after all, a Performance Recorder. You create your Performance (put together the band) prior to going to the Studio. Once things are in place, you have a myriad of knobbed functions that you can access, immediately, while the Sequencer is running (playback).

Each Part, or these can be applied overall when Part is set to “Common”, has access to the following parameters in real time plus whatever is assigned to the eight Part Assignable Knobs, and the scores of parameters you have direct access to... they only need to be already in place.

Posted : 26/10/2019 11:45 am
Angelo

Thanks for the clarification BM...much appreciated.

I just have to get used to the limitations (restrictions) within the particular system. Just used to doing the previously mentioned things within my K2500, JD-Xi, and FA-06. Every system is unique in its own way.

Regardless...LOVE MY MODX and I had one heck of a jam session last night into the wee hours b/c of 2.0

Posted : 26/10/2019 4:00 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us