Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX vs SX900, which to buy?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have had a PSR S750 for the past 7 years and was planning on finally buying a new one. But I am extremely confused between the modX and PSR SX900. Can someone please enlighten me what are the major differences between the two?
One thing that I extremely liked about the modx is the super know (coupled with motion sequencer it's simply awesome). Is the same (or something similar) achievable on a SX900?
And vice versa, what are the things that you can do on a SX900 but missing from modx?

I really need accompaniments and chords and Indian tones and styles (I know SX900 has them for sure). I am really confused whether MODX would be a better one.
I have tried neither of them in person since I am trying to avoid going to the stores physically until Corona is gone and hence I will have to rely on you guys, please help 🙂

Posted : 06/02/2021 9:40 am
Antony
Estimable Member

My 2c...

the MODX is a full blown Synthesiser.

You probably want to look at that as a concept before jumping from the PSR range.

Posted : 06/02/2021 12:39 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The MODX, as a synthesizer, is about sound design and the PSR-SX900 is about song design. Roughly speaking.

The MODX gives granular control over how the sound is constructed. It allows for editing parameters to completely alter the given sounds (Performances, Parts) in order to fit them to your own taste or even come up with completely new sounds.

The PSR-SX900 you are more-or-less familiar with what it does. But it is more suited for designing songs. The arrangement. It has automation for things that a synthesizer does not have when it comes to defining sections of music and queuing them up. The arranger line also has a few more nuances to certain sounds that allow for a different kind of automation of playing certain instruments. Therefore, certain instruments (using super articulation) have additional controls that the synthesizer line does not have. The arranger instruments do not provide deep editing of the sounds.

There's not a 3rd option that has everything - both arranger features/super articulation and deep editing of a synth.

Do you want to upgrade your PSR-S750 and get rid of it? Or do you want something else, keep using the PSR-S750, and complement it with something different?

That's how I would probably see it as a synthesizer is no replacement for an arranger or vice-versa. Only if you do not truly use arranger features would you consider jumping ship.

Also note that although limited in "song design" - the MODX synthesizer does have the ability to play arpeggios and patterns which, although not the same, do serve a similar function as providing "background" automation. Often people ask if MODX does arranger-style automation and the answer is often - no, but maybe try ... The synthesizer will place more burden on you to musically time when/how transitions happen. And the system is ... well, different. One cannot really replace the other.

Posted : 06/02/2021 6:01 pm
Prominent Member

There's not a 3rd option that has everything - both arranger features/super articulation and deep editing of a synth.

Actually, there kind of is... The Korg PA700/PA1000 (arranger competitors to the PSR SX700/SX900) do have a lot of those deeper synth editing functionalities. But there are always trade-offs, the Korgs and Yamahas can each do some things the others don't.

Posted : 17/02/2021 3:35 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

3rd option from Yamaha.

Posted : 17/02/2021 8:54 pm
Prominent Member

Ah!

Posted : 17/02/2021 10:25 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us