Notifications
Clear all

Montage 8 and MODX 8 comparison

24 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
27.5 K Views
Topic starter

Yes, I see my error and I wasn't accurate in my description of the MODX limitation. Nevertheless, for the purpose of my original post I still wanted to point out that there is this difference and it is a drawback of the MODX that it can't handle SSS with more than 4 parts, whereas the MONTAGE could do 8.

Personally I am a big fan of Live Sets with Performances that I can move between. I often sustain a chord or even a single note with one hand, switch Performances and then transition to a whole new set of sounds with the other hand without losing that first chord. Then, when I'm ready, I release the chord and trigger whatever is next, be it a Scene or another Performance.

It's not a huge problem, but I've got two years of habits with my MONTAGE that I need to reconsider. I think on the MODX that I'll simply need to be mindful of these limitations.

Posted : 08/10/2018 5:11 am
Topic starter

More updated thoughts on the MODX vs MONTAGE:

I just had a long rehearsal tonight using the MODX. The keybed on the MODX is definitely not as good as the one on the MONTAGE. I didn't notice at first, but it sunk in after a while that it just doesn't have as good of a feel. Now, don't get me wrong, it's still a fine feel. Just not as good as the MONTAGE.

I also found a few more performances that aren't on the MODX but are on my MONTAGE. Not a big deal, but as I'm recreating Live Sets from my MONTAGE on my MODX I'm noticing these things.

I've also decided that I don't like how small the volume control knob is on the MODX. For example, in the middle of a song when I switch from CFX Concert to a Hammond performance I definitely have to adjust the volume, because the Hammond is going to come out way too loud if I don't. That tiny knob on the MODX makes it that much more difficult to make a small and careful adjustment in the middle of a piece. Sure, I'll eventually get used to it and it'll be fine. That's what we do, right? However, I just have to say that I wish YAMAHA had left the main volume control as a slider, or at least as larger knob.

Nonetheless, my band said they thought the MODX sounded great. And it does sound great. And it is such a pleasure to move! My bass player came to help me put it in the case and said, "Wow, this thing really is light!"

In the end, that makes it worth it, in my book.

Posted : 09/10/2018 5:17 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Since you're using Live Sets to switch performances - I would adjust the volume setting inside your Live Set for the CFX Concert or Hammond or both Live Set slots so that there is no need to adjust the main volume.

I use the main volume to do volume swells or fades (taper off a string). There are other ways to do this - just how I do it. So a knob would be worse for this and I may reprogram to use superknob instead or maybe use the PART sliders for just the string PART. That said - I can see how the knob would take adjustment or possibly changing to using something else.

What I'm getting to is that other than a few "novelty" things - I don't touch volume at a gig. Early on in getting the instrument - I had lots of mismatches in volumes. Mainly when I programmed my own Performances vs. using something that was more preset based. During the gig (or practice) I mentally take note of these and then make adjustments later. Over time, my adjustments have accumulated so I do not have places that "jump out" requiring any adjustment during the gig.

Live Set volume offsets are a big part of what makes this easy.

Certainly, there have been cases where I have had to adjust the levels of different PARTs within a Performance. This will only be solved by adjusting the Performance itself. Same general route taken - I work out these kinks as I go. The goal is to require zero fiddling during the gig except requirements to change sounds - in the easiest-to-control, most-repeatable way possible.

Posted : 09/10/2018 5:43 am
Prominent Member

I think the simplest way around this is just to put a traditional volume pedal on the outputs of the MODX. (You could also use a foot controller as volume pedal, but it seems a shame to take up a useful multi-purpose pedal for this.)

Posted : 09/10/2018 12:08 pm
 Gary

Does anyone know how many User Performance slots/locations are available in MODX? I thought I read somewhere that the total number of User Performances was less than Montage but I cannot find that info any more

Thanks
G

Posted : 11/10/2018 12:58 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

MODX has the same count of Performances. The difference is in memory size for samples (Waveforms). MODX has 1.0GB vs. Montage's 1.75GB. If Performances have no custom waveforms, then both Montage and MODX can have the same total count of Performances when adding User + LIbrary. The limitation is once the water-line is crossed for sample data. This is a different bucket of limitation than number of Performances.

Posted : 11/10/2018 3:34 am
 Gary

And just to clarify, - what is the limit of Performances in a User, and in Library files? - 640?

Thanks,
G

Posted : 11/10/2018 12:40 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

640 user Performances total.
640 user Performances for each library slot.
8 library slots.
640*8 = 5,120 total Performances for all libraries
5,760 total Performances that can be saved by the user (User area + Library area).

Posted : 11/10/2018 3:11 pm
Scott
Eminent Member

Has anyone done a comparison of the audio quality for example from a VST synth running through USB to the montage or MODX then out to a PA? I'm interested in if there is any quality difference between the two.
Scott

Posted : 10/05/2020 10:52 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us