Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Performance overwritten just turning off the MODX?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Not sure how this even happened, but I was using a custom performances that I use to drive other synths via midi. By accident I moved the jog wheel, which changed one of the parts in the performance. So I turned off the MODX, and when I turned on the MODX again, I loaded again my custom performance.

The problem is that the performance now has been overwritten. my individual parts are gone, there is no trace of them, and the whole performance has been replaced by the default piano preset that load at first start when you boot up the MODX. I am using the latest firmware and loading the performance again does not bring back the performance I made. Is this a known bug?

EDIT:
Actually I can see what is going on here: basically when I select my performance, the white square disappear from my performance and it does not get selected; all other performances are loaded except mine. I tried to restore from a backup and it works for a while, until I make a change to the performance. Then if I select a different performance, I won't be able to load that my custom performance even if I restore from a backup. This is pretty much happening all the time; so it seems that we have a bug in the new firmware.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdtou5r2y5qrtp8/File%20from%20iOS.MOV?dl=0

Posted : 14/08/2020 5:54 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I think your Performance is still there (hw_synths) with all of its parts. I see what you mean - when you recall the Performance - only this Performance - the Performance is de-selected.

I'm kind of wondering if somehow this Performance triggers something that sends back to your MODX a command to change Performances (MSB/LSB/PC). When you first turn on MODX - I'm not sure what just sending a PC alone will do. CFX+FM EP involves PC=0.

You can prove to yourself that "hw_synths" is still there by creating a new Performance (hw_synths2) and then Performance Merge (you can choose source=All, for all PARTs) to copy the PARTs from hw_synths into the new hw_synths2 Performance. You should be able to at least take a look at the PARTs and see they match what you programmed into "hw_synths" to get a warm fuzzy that it's all there.

In an attempt to narrow down what's going on (if it is bank select), you can do the following:

1. Press [UTILITY] button
2. Choose "Settings" --> "Advanced" menu on touchscreen
3. On the "MIDI" line (2nd row down) - go right until you see "Bank Select" and "Pgm Change". Turn both of those off.
4. For grins, turn "Receive Bulk" OFF too - it's the next button over to the right. That's probably not it - but it would keep something like MODX Connect from doing anything (so would unplugging from USB if that's plugged in)

If that fixes the issue - then you know it's Bank Select (MIDI MSB/LSB messages) and/or Program Change (MIDI PC messages) and/or SysEx (MIDI system exclusive/bulk related) messages that are placing your "hw_synths" Performance off the rails. If it doesn't help, then you need to bark up a different tree.

Regardless, you'll probably want to set all of those back to original after the experiment.

Even though this involves controlling external synths - you probably want to disconnect all MIDI connections (USB and 5-pin DIN) while you're trying to determine what's going on. External devices can tell MODX to switch back to CFX+FM EP - so just isolate MODX until you sort out what's going on.

I couldn't deal with the sideways video - so I rotated it: https://streamable.com/qgj37s

Posted : 14/08/2020 7:36 am
Topic starter

Thank you so much Jason!

Followed your suggestions and removed the bank select and prog change from the settings and it started to work again.

Tried to narrow it down and it seems to be a USB issue. When I use my hw synth performance, which drive external synths, I use a USB midi splitter (iConnect Midi4+); for some reasons on that performance, I get data back to the modx via usb midi probably, that change the preset. I have no controls that change the preset or the bank on the performance, and this performance has been working as is, since way before the latest 2.5 update, so I assume something changed on the latest patch that caused this issue to start.

I don't think I will use the PC or BS at this point, but it is unfortunate to know that if I want, I can't do that. Thanks for your help! You saved my day!

Posted : 14/08/2020 4:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Filtering MSB/LSB and PC from MODX (having MODX ignore those) was just a debug step to prove or disprove the hypothesis. I imagine you don't really want these messages to make their way back to MODX. So the real problem here is what external device (including a computer and DAW or other software, keyboard devices, consequence of the splitter and return paths, other MIDi devices) is sending the MSB/LSB and/or PC information back to MODX. It may be as "simple" as modifying your MIDI routing so there is not a path back to MODX for these messages.

If you must have bidirectional communication (MODX is not only acting as a MIDI controller - but also meant to be controlled by an external device) - then this would require slightly more work to find which device is sending these messages and why. Then you would be in a better position to ensure this doesn't happen.

Right now - your exact hardware and software setup is not known so I can't pinpoint what you need to do. I can only give a basic approach and it's up to you to walk through your setup and find where these messages are coming from. Then change something in your setup to ensure MODX doesn't receive these messages. Yes, making MODX completely ignore all incoming Bank+PC messages is one way -- but that was the sledgehammer approach. You can get more surgical and turn Bank+PC back on.

If you're not MIDI fluent (extending to how it relates to all connected devices - not just MODX) - there may be some homework to do.

The most simple approach would be to map out your MIDI ins and outs and make sure you do not unintentionally have a path back to MODX where there does not need to be. Splitting MIDI can complicate things because it's easier to lose how each of the split branches terminates. You wouldn't want one branch to feed back into the other, for instance. Splitting is not a problem - but it does place more burden in handling the configuration. In other words - although this raises an eyebrow - you may still be fine with the splitting.

Mapping out is not only physical - but also how the software routes MIDI (which channels in which bus map to which channels and which buses out).

Posted : 14/08/2020 7:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us