Soundmondo Browsing, SYSEX, FM Converter

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi There,

Not sure if this is just my browser, but if I am scrolling through sounds generally or have narrowed it down using a search term I can click though and download the sound into the EDIT buffer, but when I go to return to the search list, I get thrown back to the top of the list and have to keep scrolling down again until I get to where I had been up to before.

This behaviour has me considering if I might use the the .syx files that have been created by Martin which are a complete folder of all the sounds on Soundmondo but in sysex format.

I read somewhere though that you have to be sure the .syx files don't have a storage location included in the file as it could potentially overwrite one of the User presets (rather than just going into the EDIT buffer)?

I suppose this same question would arise using the FM Converter as well (if indeed it is an issue)?

On a side note, I find that if I go to the Patches.fm website there is an onscreen keyboard which you can press to audition the sounds, however I find I can also use my (MODX) keyboard to play the sound however the "note off" function does not appear to be transmitting, so that after a couple of notes it's just like holding down the sustain pedal.

It would be great to actually play the sounds live on the internet for audition purposes, however I may be dreaming (not knowing enough about MIDI and webaudio, etc.)?

I realise I could probably save myself the hassle by learning a bit about FM programming (Manny Fernandez is recommended) however it would also be good to understand a bit more about sysex and webaudio, and related tech stuff.

I also am aware if the JM suite would probably look after a lot of this for me.

Years ago, on my old ESQ1 I spent a good deal of time loading in sysex files via MIDI-OX and didn't seem to have any issues with overwriting anything else, however as I have a lot of performances that I am playing with my band right now I just want to be sure I won't overwrite anything - Yes I know I need to back up more regularly!

Posted : 19/06/2023 7:03 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

SYX files generated from soundmondo submissions and compatible with your keyboard won't overwrite anything. They will apply to the edit buffer only.

Posted : 19/06/2023 1:58 pm
Prominent Member

I just want to be sure I won't overwrite anything

You already know how to 'be sure' of that.

So you really don't have any excuse for NOT having your stuff backed up.

Not to worry - if you do lose your stuff because you didn't back it up your bandmates will be able to easily replace you with someone more reliable. LOL!

Seriously - it only takes a few minutes to protect you and your bandmates.

Posted : 19/06/2023 2:58 pm
Prominent Member

it takes about 30 minutes to backup a reasonably loaded MODX. A heavily loaded one takes about 45 minutes.

Sounds like you, and maybe OP, need to consider using a different workflow.

First - even if you naively create a 'heavily loaded' user area (which you should NOT do) that 45 minutes will pale in comparison to trying to recreate your lost work.

Second - you should ALWAYS assume that anything in your user area could be lost at any time. So you should either accept that or back it up if it is important to you.

Third - libraries, up to 8 online at a time, are convenient for grouping performances together for one, or more, gigs and a library file IS a backup of those performances along with all of the ancillary objects those performances need.
https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/modx/performance-basics-i-mastering-modx

There can be eight Libraries resident in your MODX at any one time - each containing as many as 640 Performances. In addition to the 640 Performances themselves each Library can contain 2048 Waveforms, 2048 Live Set slots, 256 Arpeggios, 256 Motion Sequences, 32 User Curves, and 8 Micro Tunings.

Note that even a gig's live set list is included in a library.

So you should never really get to the point where you have a huge jumble of performances that aren't backed up.

The user memory area should primarily be used for TWO things:

1. a scratch pad area for building new performances, arps, etc.
2. a staging area for creating, recreating, updating libraries

As you know, libraries can't be modified directly they must be rebuilt/replaced. The user area is where that work takes place:

1. backup the user area if you want to save your current 'works in progress'
2. import a library into the user area
3. make any changes to the loaded 'library' contents that you wish
4. create a new library

Follow that workflow and you won't need to do a 'backup' of a full user area since that is essentially what a library file is.

Posted : 19/06/2023 4:30 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us