Notifications
Clear all

Why I cannot to create _Chord arpeggio?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Is it possible/impossible in a daw? How the built-ins _C arps were created?

Posted : 17/06/2023 4:23 pm
Prominent Member

Is it possible/impossible in a daw? How the built-ins _C arps were created?

We don't know what you have tried so can't really say why you can't do it.

You may want to go thru this tutorial on making arpeggios.
https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/mastering-montage-arpeggio-making-101-part-i

The first lesson walks you through creating a chord-aware arpeggio on the instrument.

If you only want to create arps on a DAW then wait for others to respond.

Posted : 17/06/2023 5:44 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

All arpeggios were created using Yamaha tools that are only made available to the content authors that created these arps.

Some arps you absolutely cannot create using the customer facing resources (keyboard itself, DAW, etc). Some arps you can create.

What side of the fence the _C arps live on (which would determine if you can or cannot create one yourself) is unknown to me. I'd have to dig into these arps and see if they do anything you couldn't do with the available arpeggio types (fixed, org note, normal). Of course "fixed" isn't going to do it - I just list the types so you know what I'm referring to.

It's true that you absolutely cannot create arpeggios that behave like many of the preset arpeggios which utilize a better editor reserved for Yamaha "internal" use only. There's a power user document for Motif XF that teased an arpeggio editor that might be made available to the end users. This never came to fruition.

Here's the quote - source: http://files.keyfax.com/download/MOTIFArpeggiator.pdf , last paragraph in paper:

In the future you may see an
Arpeggio Editor which will let you get at
more of the ‘hidden’ features of the
mysterious art of arpeggiating. Currently
the four tracks have limited use.

Posted : 18/06/2023 12:04 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Arpeggio marked with _C useful to play with chords.
Example
Fingers: a+c+e arpeggio bass with _C played a-e-a-e... Am
Fingers: a+d+f arpeggio bass with _C played d-a-d-a... Dm

Normal or OrigNotes
Fingers: a+d+f arpeggio bass will play a-f-a-f... etc.

Normal, OrigNotes and Fixed is not available for chords arps.
Always played low note from chord only.

And unlimited crazy diapason for bass C-1 to G8

Posted : 18/06/2023 12:10 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Jason, thank you!
I wrote before I read your post.
Any knowledge is good!

Posted : 18/06/2023 12:17 am
Bad Mister

Just because you are not given all of the Arpeggio tools does NOT prevent you from creating the type of Arpeggio Phrase you are interested in creating (many of the Arps you can’t create are far too complicated for the casual user). The very type you are looking to make (chord intelligent “_C” type) is exactly the type that the tool you are given will make. It will allow you to make most standard chords and even some custom voicing.

You will want to use the Original Note “Convert Type” and define the Arp Phrase using the appropriate number of notes in the chord. “Org Note” - allows the Arp to be chord intelligent.

If you are interested in covering standard chord voicings, create your rhythmic source phrase using four note chords that include the root, third, fifth and seventh. (The article gives an example - voicing the C Maj 7 chord using these notes in a phrase: G-B-e-g, with a second Arp source Track Phrase that outlines the I-V as a bass figure on the low guitar strings, C-G, converted over the Org Note = C2).

You can use the Part Arpeggio (Common) parameter to set an OCT SHIFT for what actual range of keys will be used to input the control data.

By using a four note voicing of the chord quality will let you create Arp Phrases that behave like Arps with the suffix “_C”. You will run into certain voicing conundrums that cannot be resolved (the nature of music theory). Dminor7 is D minor 7 in all Chord positions except with the one with the minor 3rd in the root… it is F6

From the ”Mastering MONTAGE: Arpeggio Making 101 Part 2….
Lesson 2: How ARP CONVERT TYPES deal with NOTE data - chords
A very important issue, which is almost always overlooked before you start creating your own arpeggios... For an arpeggio to be useful with chord intelligence you really do have to think about it in a single musical key. Say you want to create a guitar strumming arpeggio for a "Bossa Nova"... you would simply play 1 chord rhythmically. (For example, you might play a C Major 7 chord: C-E-G-B)

You could simply play this chord rhythmically in a Bossa Nova feel.

The rhythm of the chord is far more important than the notes themselves. After all, when you actually perform a song like "Girl From Ipanema" that is when you will voice an F Major7, then a G7, then a G Minor 7 and then C7 etc. etc. You will simply want the chord that you finger to play in Bossa Nova feel.

You would not need to voice these chords in the arpeggio creation data - You would play just a simple 4 note chord in a particular rhythmic pulse that feels like a "Bossa Nova" - this is all you'd need to record to the ARP TRACK. When you actually use the arpeggio, by assigning it to a Part in a PERFORMANCE, you would then input the chord progression, as required. Besides the limit of 16 unique notes would also make recording actual chord progressions as source material untenable.

The arp does not need to be the whole progression... (In fact it would be WRONG to record a whole progression in a general purpose Arpeggio Phrase). Remember the person recalling your arp will want to define WHAT chords it plays – so you cannot put too much information into your arpeggio phrase.

You only need to record just the correct number of simultaneous notes necessary to be a guitar, and you need to play that one chord in the right rhythm.

Extra Credit:
You can consider the “Motion Sequencer” as the continuation of a User made “Controller Arpeggio” discussion — and as the “Editor” for that type of parameter control Arp” data. The discussion was about Control Data Arps (which at the time were limited to CC10 Pan, CC11 Expression, CC74 Cutoff, CC71 Resonance, PB, and just two Assign Knobs, 1/2).

When you look at the Motion Sequencer as an extension of the Control Arp function, the “Edit Motion Sequence” feature is the mentioned “Editor”. It lets you create musically timed phrases applied like automation. And to more than just the “usual suspects” (Level, Pan, Pitch, Timbre), you can assign your control phrase to any assignable parameter.

With the inclusion of the loop-based Pattern Sequencer and its various “Edit/Job” you now have many of the necessary tools to prepare the MIDI data for things like Velocity Zoned Arpeggio Phrases, for example. Without the “Edit/Job” you couldn’t prepare the MIDI data to be converted to Arps.

When creating data for an Acoustic “MegaGuitar” and its specialized articulations, you must prepare the MIDI data. For example, you’ll want for the strings plucked normally — soft, medium, and hard to create a dynamic velocity range. But because you’ll want to use velocity to swap articulations, you’ll want to find an Edit/Job that lets you reduce the Velocity Range from 1-127 to 1-60… impossible to play like that, but by reducing the Velocity by %, you are able to compress the soft-med-hard response appropriately to match three-way switching programming.

The articulation details (pitch scoops, finger zings, scrapes, knocks, raking noises, dead notes, mutes) make the MegaGuitar Arpeggios hyper-realistic. You don’t really ‘hear’ them, they add realism without being obvious, they are hardly noticed until they are removed, and if you mix them too loud or out of balance, it can ruin the illusion.

As to the Note-Oriented (traditional) Arpeggio and any such “Arpeggio Editor”… the discussion about what tool or tools are available to the Yamaha programmers, whatever it is, is not considered a viable product — the data created for the Arranger STYLE engine is often the source for the Synthesizer Arpeggio. The engines have similarities but also some very specific differences.

Posted : 18/06/2023 5:42 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thank you, Bad Mister!

You will run into certain voicing conundrums that cannot be resolved (the nature of music theory). Dminor7 is D minor 7 in all Chord positions except with the one with the minor 3rd in the root… it is F6

Familiar case for me. Common I like use a+b+d+f as Dm6 chord on piano,
but with auto accompaniment PSR it's recognized to Bm7b5.
It annoys me.

😀

Posted : 18/06/2023 8:33 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

This is UserArp1 recorded with OrigNotes and my hand made manipulation in hex 🙂

1Ah - setup all keyboard octaves are equal himself. Well It's good!
But It's sound down to low to bass.
1C - this byte makes sound back to high normal C3 like audio.

but played notes C - G was changed to C - C# (sharp) 😮

Posted : 23/06/2023 3:44 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us