Clear all

USB audio interface is disconnected when starting Logic Pro x

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Paul
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

I’m using a Yamaha MODX8 With latest firmware connected with 1 usb cable to my Mac mini using latest OS Catalina. I’m using Logic Pro x. I can record my midi tracks ok but problem is I don’t have an option to select inputs 3+4 5+6 etc when I try to record them to audio. . I only have options for 1+2. If I check my midi connection in utilities before launching logic I can see the modx connected. When I launch logic it seems to be removing the usb connection because when I check again in midi devices the modx is gone just leaving the Mac mini internal speakers and hdmi monitor visible. I’ve uninstalled the driver and installed it again. No difference. So to me the usb audio interface connection is removed when opening Logic Pro. When checking logic pro audio settings it’s cant see the modx as an option. It’s really frustrating and I’m spending so much time at it and getting no where. I hope someone can help me out.

Many thanks,

Paul

Posted : 01/09/2020 10:37 am
Bad Mister

There is nothing wrong with your MODX.

In general, always establish the physical USB connection between your synth (which should be connected and powered On) and your computer before launching your DAW (Logic Pro X) — you do this because during the launch of any professional DAW, the software will query your computer ports and resources. It will search for all relevant components it might be using.

I’m sorry but I’m not a Logic Pro user, however, I’m pretty sure it can memorize your Audio Interface selection and it should be able to re-establish communication with minimum effort on your part. When you have things completely setup properly, you’ll be able to Open a Logic Pro X session file, and then immediately tap the Spacebar to have it play (that’s your goal).

Stored with your Logic Pro session will be the MODX CONNECT (set to “Auto Sync” it will automatically restore your MODX Performance so that by the time the Computer screen opens your file, the Performance settings you used will be restored to the MODX.

Seriously, it should be Open the File, tap the Spacebar to Play. That is what you are aiming for...

Even though I don’t know Logic Pro and cannot provide with the step-by-step “how to” information, I’m sure this very basic thing of remembering your setup is apart of the feature set!

Here is a start: although written for the MONTAGE it should help you through the basics
Article Link: __ MONTAGE and Logic Pro X Connecting

Posted : 01/09/2020 11:08 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm not a Logic user either. I don't have a Mac. So this is coming from a windows user's perspective. Maybe it helps, maybe not.

When I hear you only see two audio channels, that sounds like a no driver installation (fyi: I see where you discuss uninstalling the driver and reinstalling - so I see you are loading some driver). In windows I can connect MODX with no driver and it will recognize MODX but only support two channels. This is due to MODX's class compliance - no driver necessary.

In your description, I didn't see you mention driver version. What's your driver version (not what you installed - but as reported by the OS)?

It should be (as of today):

Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.3 for Mac macOS 10.15-10.12

Posted : 01/09/2020 3:18 pm
 Paul
Topic starter

Thanks Jason and bad mister for replying to my problem. Much appreciated.

I eventually worked out what the cause of my problem was. Yes it was driver related. 🙁 Didn’t follow the instructions to allow the "System software from developer "Yamaha Corporation"" to be loaded in the System Preferences correctly. Burning the oil tooo late.

I eventually found the answer over at Steinbergs help centre. Please read the link below.

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115001790330-macOS-Audio-interface-cannot-be-selected-and-is-missing-in-Audio-MIDI-Setup

I followed the guidelines here resolved my problem. Now I have all working flawlessly and I am extremely delighted And happy lad ?

I think it would be very helpful to have this link on the Yamaha download page for people like me not taking the time to properly read the guidelines on the installation in turn making a mountain out of a molehill lol.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Paul

Posted : 02/09/2020 8:41 am
Bad Mister

Glad you got it working. That’s the most important thing.

Posted : 02/09/2020 10:52 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us