Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver

27 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
15.6 K Views
Bad Mister

The “Device “ listed in the “Device Manager” > “Sound, Video and Game Controllers” = MODX (that is correct!)
Windows is seeing your MODX. That is now verified!
Double click on “MODX” and Windows will report on the status of this device and its Driver...

Let us know what it reports!

And again. When you launch Cubase, you get a choice, please select “Cubase AI” (not LE, not Elements) but specifically “Cubase AI”

Can you post the following screenshot from Cubase AI?
Go to STUDIO > STUDIO SETUP... > on the left side select “VST AUDIO SYSTEM” > on the right side you have the ASIO Driver option....

This is where you need to select “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” for use with Cubase
What options do you show?

Posted : 16/03/2020 5:43 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

Double clicking on MODX in Device Manager, MODX Properties says:

Under general Tab - "this device is working properly".
Under Details Tab - Value is Yamaha Steinberg USB Audio.
Under Events Tab , latest event says "Driver Management concluded the process to install driver ysusb_w10.inf_amd64_b0773b23770f3464 for Device Instance ID USBVID_0499&PID_172A6&10E24D81&0&3 with the following status: 0x0."

When I launch Cubase I do not get an LE vs AI option, however the splash screen announces Cubase AI (not Cubase LE). I then get the box asking about the audio driver but when I select Yamaha Steinberg USB it says device could not be loaded.

When I go to Studio Setup it is showing "No Driver" and when I select Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO from the dropdown list it says "Device Could Not be opened".

I am trying to upload the screenshot but it keeps saying it's an unsupported file type (I have tried jpg, png, pdf...??)

Attached files

Posted : 16/03/2020 10:03 pm
Bad Mister

We are now down to the USB cable itself, or the USB port on the computer.
The driver is installed and working properly.
The computer sees it and some communication is taking place (MIDI)

USB cables go bad and come with the same foibles as any type of cable— you get what you pay for.
The USB Port must support USB 2.0

Try different cables and different ports.
Rebooting each time.
Vigilance, whatever it is it will be simple when found.

Posted : 17/03/2020 1:00 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

You were right Bad Mister!

I was using a USB isolator as I previously had ground loop problems and when I removed that the MODX connected properly!

Thanks for your support.

Posted : 22/03/2020 12:06 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

... another example of why USB cable is often the first suggestion. So many cases close with the USB cabling as the culprit.

Posted : 22/03/2020 6:03 am
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

HI Jason,

Late reply, but I have been using the MODX with headphones only when connected to Cubase, because if I monitor via the main LR outputs to my amp, I get terribly excessive noise.

Previously on the MX61 I had used the USB Isolator to solve this but it doesn't appear to work with the MODX - the USB Isolator cuts off all midi transmission when inserted between the MODX and PC.

However strangely I tried it again the other day - I juggled the cables a few times and then it started working via the USB Isolator. However the following day the problem came back. I am not sure if this is the connector in the PC or MODX or the cable itself.

Do you have any advice on USB cables - are some better than others?

Posted : 17/07/2020 9:39 am
Bad Mister

Late reply, but I have been using the MODX with headphones only when connected to Cubase, because if I monitor via the main LR outputs to my amp, I get terribly excessive noise.

I would highly recommend using headphones when connecting your MODX to Cubase for recording. Mainly because connecting the Main L/R Outputs of a MODX to a single input bass amp is about the worst situation you could dream up to monitor a MODX. (Even if it was a perfectly working bass amp).

How are you resolving the MODX stereo Output and a mono input on the bass amp? Whatever you choose it is not going to be optimum. From reading your post it seems the noise is not in the headphones, only when you use the bass amp. I strongly encourage you to NOT use the bass amp. Judge the quality of the audio by plugging a pair of headphones into the MODX Phones jack.

Without a better description of the “terribly excessive noise” we cannot really determine the exact source of the problem. If when the bass amp is making this noise, the headphones are clear, that will tell us much. If the noise is NOT in the headphones, then you should forget using the bass amp. (As the name implies, it is designed for bass, and not a full range, Line level keyboard).

Posted : 17/07/2020 10:35 am
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi BM,

I understand that the mono bass amp is not a great solution, but I am still saving up for some decent studio monitors and also a bit hesitant that even when I do get them I will still have noise problems, so I am trying to understand /rectify the noise issue.

I will try to outline the situation below:

There is no noise at any time from the headphone outputs.

The high pitched bass amp noise only occurs when I plug in to the PC via the USB to host connector.

ON my previous MX61 this issue was completely solved by the use of a "USB Isolator" (see www.electronics-shop.dk)

With the MODX this solution does not work. ( Sorry it did work the other day for a short time after (I think) some cable / connector jiggling however the next day it went back to not working).

The funny thin is that the MODX IS recognised (blue USB symbol) when using the USB isolator, however midi does not seem to be able to be transmitted (Driver not found).

So my default situation is to use headphones when connected to computer and using cubase.

My "guess" and from what you have told me, is that it's the bass amp causing the noise and that maybe the USB midi signal strength is different between the MX and the MODX as the USB Isolator works for the MX but not the MODX?

Getting late in my part of the world now, but I will recheck with the MX and USB Isolator tomorrow, to check that the USB Isolator hasn't developed a fault between swapping over from MX to MODX, as I haven't used the MX for a while.. (Although I originally thought it was the USB Isolator and have bought a second one, from a different (Chinese) supplier.)

Posted : 17/07/2020 12:26 pm
Bad Mister

There is no noise at any time from the headphone outputs.

The high pitched bass amp noise only occurs when I plug in to the PC via the USB to host connector.

The issue is clear. It is a ground noise problem. You might be able to solve by simply plugging the Bass Amp and computer into different wall outlets. Or plug them into the same power strip. Ground noise is caused when multiple devices are interconnected (like with a USB cable). It is not the fault of any one device, it is the interconnection... often switching outlets does the trick.

While adding proper monitor speakers may just inherit the noise, you may find the grounding situation is completely different.
Since the noise is in the Bass amp and not the Phones, you might try a ground lift of the signal going into the Bass amp (perhaps the bass amp has its own ground lift switch). There are “hum eliminators“ that work on the 1/4” signal...

I have no experience with your Isolator device... Sorry.

Question: were you using the MX61 as your audio interface? Or just connected for MIDI?

Posted : 17/07/2020 1:00 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

HI BM,

I believe I was using the MX as an audio interface - I sometimes recorded as USB audio into Cubase and sometimes recorded midi, but with playback via the MX ( I had the MX Voice List plugged into Cubase). Also using the same Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver.

I have tried with different power outlets but no success at the time - will try again later.

I have seen some hum eliminators but heard reports that these can also degrade the audio quality?

I have seen ground loop isolators for $10 compared to "hum destroyers" for $50....

https://www.ltt-versand.de/Ton/Kabel-und-Stecker/Konfektionierte-Kabel/Cinch-Kabel/DAP-Audio-AGI-101-Audio-Groundloop-Isolator::103581.html?language=en&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwr7X4BRA4EiwAUXjbt41bzXUlKcbA4ONROJzPoKpGg6WD2abD4bo9sBgymq7JWYMCp0Br4RoCpncQAvD_BwE&fbclid=IwAR3jp1CfQHxhP1fB0n7Ti8s4LNEfC6MM36fQcVueqZpkaEcWORjP5F89V8o

https://www.storedj.com.au/behringer-microhd-hd400-hum-destroyer

Posted : 17/07/2020 1:20 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

HI - next day check:

I checked again - same cabling and connection for MX61 and MODX : I..e

Analog Audio L Out to Bass Amp
USB to host to computer via a USB Isolator.

With the MX61 - no problems - Cubase hears the midi and noise is gone.

With the MODX - Cubase does not receive the midi. (Driver cannot be found).

While it is clear that the noise can be eliminated by the use of the USB Isolator, it appears that there is something different in the USB to Host signal between the two keyboards, as one can still communicate with Cubase while the other cannot.

Posted : 18/07/2020 2:58 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If USB cables with ferrite rings helps clean up noise - it's possible that these features do not cause the problem. Only that the cable you have happens to be "worn out" (connector issue) or have an intermittent connection in the wiring (open circuit - sometimes closed).

I don't have a recommendation for cables. My cable doesn't have any filtering properties. But I don't use USB cables as a normal part of my instrument usage. I perform without a computer and really rarely have the keyboard in active use with a computer. Someone else may be able to chime in explaining what works for them in an environment where noise is not tolerated. I would say look for shielded cables. Even with shielding - there's different ways to implement this. No connection to digital ground. One end connected to digital ground (host side, or device side). Or both ends connected to digital ground. Sometimes ground loop issues are solved by changing the termination. So having a bag full of cables with different properties - where you know and understand the properties of each cable - is the way to go.

Where you plug in all devices that are connected to each other (computer, keyboard, between stuff like mixers and such - even microphones with phantom supplies) has an effect on ground-loop related noise. These properties can change as you change outlets, circuits (which circuit breaker each outlet connects to), power strips, etc. There's a different "distance" or path that ground takes from device to device depending on where and how you plug everything in.

Sometimes you can solve your noise problems by plugging in all devices into the same power strip (computer, keyboard, other devices) so all devices share the same ground potential. Some devices aren't grounded at all (battery operated or just the 2-pin outlet without the 3rd ground pin). So there's more to have to consider to really chase the noise away than just a USB cable.

Posted : 20/07/2020 9:30 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us