Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Advice please on how to connect an external music player device (tablet, laptop, etc)

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 tim
Topic starter

Hello, I'm about to purchase the Montage 7 and would like to play songs from my android tablet and/or laptop to play along with. Am I right in thinking I could attach a USB stick and load the tracks that way? I would really like to play streamed songs and music is there a way to achieve this please? I understand that If I connected a media device via the audio inputs, I would lose the mic input, which I want to use as well. So, I want to play , sing and play the backing track at the same time. In addition I wonder if someone could direct me to the best midi or Montage compatible song repositories. I would be grateful for any help, direction and suggestions please. My very old Yamaha, which I still have, has a floppy disk containing songs, so I have really been spoilt!! πŸ˜‰ LOL. I don't have any Apple IOS gear I'm Windows and Android at this time.
Thank you, Tim.

Posted : 14/03/2021 11:00 pm
Bad Mister

Hello, I'm about to purchase the Montage 7 and would like to play songs from my android tablet and/or laptop to play along with. Am I right in thinking I could attach a USB stick and load the tracks that way?

The MONTAGE can load .mid files to its internal Sequencer... you would need to select instruments for each Track and place them in a MONTAGE Performance. That Performance can be linked with the Sequence, so that when you recall the Song title, the Performance will automatically be recalled.

Alternatively, if your song is in the form of a .wav or aiff (44.1kHz, 16 or 24-bit stereo) format, you can stream that file directly from the USB stick connected to the MONTAGE’s β€œTo Device” USB port.

And if your song is playing back from a laptop computer you can have it in either MIDI or Audio format... the MONTAGE is both a MIDI and Audio Interface for your computer via the USB β€œTo Host” port.

So, I want to play , sing and play the backing track at the same time.

This is possible. As to delivering audio from an Android device, I have no experience with Android apps that playback audio... but the MONTAGE is class compliant ...so you should be able to connect your Android device via USB and stream audio (via the β€œTo Host” port).

Posted : 15/03/2021 1:15 pm
 tim
Topic starter

Hello, thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Just to clarify please, I can connect a laptop via a laptop USB into the USB on the Montage? Or is it laptop USB to midi in and out on the Montage? In addition I can also connect via USB to the jack audio I/O's on the Montage? Once again, thank you for your guidance. Tim

Posted : 15/03/2021 5:39 pm
Bad Mister

Just to clarify please, I can connect a laptop via a laptop USB into the USB on the Montage?

Yes. See page 49 of your Owner’s Manual β€œUsing a Connected Computer”.

Or is it laptop USB to midi in and out on the Montage?

??? No... they don’t make laptops with 5-pin MIDI In and Out jacks (not since the early 1990s!

In addition I can also connect via USB to the jack audio I/O's on the Montage?

Sorry I don’t have any idea what this means. β€œ...USB to the jack audio I/O’s...” ? ? ?

Posted : 16/03/2021 12:57 am
Reputable Member
 tim
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

Thank you again. I understand my terminology is a bit "off piste"

With regard to: In addition "can also connect via USB to the jack audio I/O's on the Montage? I mean can I use USB out
on a laptop to the audio jack inputs on the Montage?

In relation to " Or is it laptop USB to midi in and out on the Montage?" What i am asking, is it possible to connect a laptop via USB into the midi ports on the Montage?

Hope this makes a bit more sense? πŸ™‚

Posted : 16/03/2021 1:18 pm
 tim
Topic starter

Hi Fernando,

Thank you for the links.
πŸ™‚

Posted : 16/03/2021 1:20 pm
Reputable Member

No...no...no....tim.
I was joking....with Bad Mister.
Please read and follow the instructions given in the corresponding manuals !!!!

Posted : 16/03/2021 1:25 pm
 tim
Topic starter

Fernando, I sure will!! I:)

Posted : 16/03/2021 7:32 pm
Prominent Member

can I use USB out on a laptop to the audio jack inputs on the Montage?

No. USB is digital, the audio input jacks are analog. The audio from the laptop's USB connection would have to go to the USB connection on the Montage... or you can run it into a sperate interface which will convert it to analog (typically 1/4" audio output jacks) and then you would have something you could plug into the audio jack inputs on the Montage.

is it possible to connect a laptop via USB into the midi ports on the Montage?

Yes, there are many interfaces that will do that. Yamaha used to make their UX-16 for that, but they don't make that anymore. But you can still find numerous others, like the Roland UM-One or the iConnectivity Mio. Note that MIDI port connections ONLY function to send/receive MIDI. They don't have anything to do with audio.

Posted : 16/03/2021 8:11 pm
 tim
Topic starter

AnotherScott, many thanks for this, you have been a great help. It all makes sense now and I've totally got it! Cheers ?

Posted : 16/03/2021 8:39 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us