Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can you copy single performances from MODX to Montage?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 John
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Having just got my Montage I was wondering if I can copy some performances I created on my MODX easily?

Can you copy a single performance onto a usb stick and then import that on the other synth?

Would I be better off learning how to create a library of my favourite created performances and export/import that? If I did create a library for these performances though, would they still remain on the MODX as user performances as well?

As you can probably tell, I'm still somewhat confused about this sort of thing!

Posted : 25/07/2020 8:20 am
Bad Mister

Having just got my Montage I was wondering if I can copy some performances I created on my MODX easily?

Can you copy a single performance onto a usb stick and then import that on the other synth?

No, there is no way to “copy a single performance onto a USB stick”. When synth data is SAVED to a USB stick, you have 2 specific File formats (Types)* that will contain the Performance data, and that are interchangeable between models.
USER File - contains Performances, Arpeggios, Waveforms, Motion Sequences, Curves, MicroTunings, Live Sets, Utility, and Quick Setups
LIBRARY File - contains Performances, Arpeggios, Waveforms, Motion Sequences, Curves, MicroTunings, and Lives Sets

When you want to move a Performance between the MONTAGE and the MODX, in either direction with a USB stick, SAVE the USER Bank data as “Contents Type” = USER File. The MODX will create a .X8U File, this can be loaded directly into your MONTAGE
The MONTAGE will create a .X7U File, this can be loaded directly into your MODX.

These File Types contain all the types of data created by you that, in fact, might be used by the Performance, and might just be way more than you need. There can be potentially 640 Performances, so it maybe more than you are looking for... as this USB Filing system manages all of the Performances (not individual Performances). If you move just the Performance data you may not guarantee that it has everything it needs. The ‘additional’ add-on data is technically not a part of the Performance. Does it use a User Arp? Does it use a User Waveform? Does it use a user Motion Sequence? Does it contain custom control Curves? Etc., etc.

If you have a Performance that you created on the MODX, the most efficient way to move it would be to use a program where you can BULK DUMP the Performance parameters.

“Soundmondo” can Capture the Performance from either device and move it over to the other device... as long as the other ‘add-on’ data is resident in both instruments... this will work.

“Soundmondo” can run as an App on an iOS iPad/iPhone, or you can use the “Soundomondo” computer web-based version.

*__ there is a third File format that will contain your Performances (the BACKUP File .X7A, .X8A) — however, these are not interchangeable between models.

Posted : 25/07/2020 6:16 pm
 John
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Many thanks for you reply, much appreciated 🙂

I have dabbled with Soundmondo so will certainly give that a try.

Something else I've just wondered, I do have the Melas Tools for the MODX and was thinking about getting it for the Montage as well, I'm wondering if these tools will help with this sort of thing?

Posted : 26/07/2020 8:09 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us