Notifications
Clear all

"Data Memory Full" message whilst recording a song with the Pattern Sequencer

43 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member

MIDI editor shows channel pressure (aftertouch) in the MIDI file. That's not an "error" - but your previous feedback was that you assumed no aftertouch due to attempts to clear these events. Perhaps your selection context was not correct.

I'm counting 8,917 notes which are presumably 17,834 events (note on + note off).

Aftertouch is 2,744*8 = 21,952 events (approx)

Sustain is 538*7 = 3,766 events

About 43,102 events

Posted : 20/10/2021 1:39 am
Colin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Jason,

Bad Mister previously told me the sequencer can handle up to 520,000 events so 43.1k of events in my song should not be a problem...right?

Posted : 20/10/2021 8:43 am
Bad Mister

It is not a problem because you’ve exceed the half million notes, it is a problem that you have recorded over top of your original recording several times… in several places; almost as if you were unaware that the sequencer was Looping (but you say you were not looping — although it abundantly clear from the MIDI data evidence, that you were loop recording… at times over and over and over and over again. Data is stacked on top of data. LENGTH we described this parameter in detail. If you ignore the Record Length you will wind up with 7 instances of every hihat, 7 instances of every snare, 7 instance of every kick drum…as some of the data reveals.

This indicates to me that terminology like “Record Type” = Replace and “Record Type” = Overdub are not clear concepts quite yet.
And you may not be certain how Tracks are engaged to be in Record. These are two very critical items to be clear on in order to successfully record to the Sequencer.

We highly suspect that you attempted to record a Multi Part Performance to the Sequencer without a full understanding of what that means, then you added individual Parts or possibly another Multi Part, but again, without an understanding of the impact of doing so. (These are Common newbie mistakes… the best way to get to the point where you can predict successful results, starts with clarity on the terminology, and knowing which Parts your Keyboard and your controllers are addressing at any particular time.

PART SELECT is a very important skill.

The “No Data” error message
Also how you got “No Data” when you attempted to remove Aftertouch, is also (now) a clear indicator that you did not follow those instructions… or more likely, they were unclear to you… making it very difficult to help with this issue. When you are not sure, you must say you are not sure. Clearly Aftertouch is all over these tracks.

We will not give up on you, but if/when an instruction is not clear - you can help by saying it’s NOT clear. We can try explaining it in a different way. But if you had setup your Sequencer Job “Erase Event” properly it would have removed the Aftertouch instead of reporting “No Data”.

For clarity’s sake — a picture of your “Erase Event” screen setup would have been 1000 times the value of the picture of the “No Data” screen…which you could have just reported… can you show us a picture of the Erase Event screen that you used to get the result “no data”?
That would provide all the clues as to why it did not work for you.

There are 3 very specific messages you might receive doing this specific task: Erase Event—Aftertouch
_“No Data” meaning it found no Aftertouch in the range you set it to look for it. The region it is set to scan can be precisely set from a specific Measure/Beat/Clock to another specific Measure/Beat/Clock.
_ “Completed” — If it finds data in the defined region it will remove it, and a “Completed” message drops done and that removed data then occupies an “undo” buffer, accessible now on the screen
_ “Illegal parameters” — If you had set no range at all, like 001:01:000 thru 001:01:000 or similar, the instrument displays a very specific “Illegal Parameters” message.

But a “No Data” message is a specific error message. The answer as to why it got “No Data”, is Part of the solution to one of the mysteries.

Colin:

Update:

Rightly or wrongly, I ended up doing a complete factory reset and have started rebuilding my circa 4 min song on the Pattern Sequencer. (MIDI). This time I ensured that I recorded it correctly using my sustain pedal as discussed in an earlier post

Unclear which… the SONG (linear) recorder is referred to as “MIDI” Song”
The looping Pattern Sequencer is referred to as just “Pattern”.

Colin:

I have now fully read the ops manuals regarding recording plus I have viewed the YouTube Tec Talk Live tutorial on Song Recording by Blake.

Again Song or Pattern? Unclear which you are referring to…which Blake video specifically?

Song Recording —

Pattern Recording —

Data can be moved between these two Sequencer Modes. Understanding when it’s best to use each is also very important. There is no one way to work with this, so much of it is going to be your personal preference!

Okay, we have stated that it’s probably not the .mid data itself causing the “Data Memory Full” error message. Although a lot has been revealed about your recording methodology - it is completely unknowable as to which instruments are on which Parts (only that Drums are on Part 8), other than that it is the same data. Refer back to when you initially selected a Performance to start with — was it MULTI (blue) Part or Single (green) Part Performance. This has a lot to do with on how many Tracks you are recording on simultaneously.

This indicates we need to go over how to setup a Performance for recording.
If a Multi Part is the initial starting point, all of its Parts have their own MIDI Track in the Sequencer. A 4-Part Acoustic Piano will record to Tracks 1, 2, 3, and 4. You can play them all simultaneously because the KBD CTRL icon is active and this links them together.
If you then attempt to add Parts - you need to understand that you are choosing to either edit the acoustic piano, or do you want to add a completely separate instrument for the next Track.

When overloaded the Sequencer has its own specific error messages about being full.

There are so many passes (loops) of the Drum Track #8 that the hits are flamming —it is at least seven times on top of each other and you obviously were in LOOP RECORD and continued to record over your previous recording… (7 times in all) this make for a phase-shifty doubling/tripling/quadrupling/quintupling… type audio quality — obviously an error in recording technique.

What is troubling is the lack of knowing whether you are recording a “Pattern Sequence” or a “MIDI Song Sequence”. The two recent statements conflict with one another. We talked about looping or linear recording? You claimed you were not looping, the data clearly says not only were you loop recording in some of Scenes you had to be able to hear that. And if not, we are must be speaking at cross points because the terminology can confuse until the reasons why it called a thing makes sense (learning curve stuff).

It is clear that you are unfamiliar with the exact steps in creating the Performance and the routine of recording to the Sequencer… specifically how to record Tracks. That is clear. This is why we included that info in this thread.

First, it is recommended to assemble your Performance. It is also why I decided to start over with “Using Category Search” so that you know what you are selecting and how to go about recording it. If you trust us, let’s start over but this time, let’s do it together.

Can you post your Performance? So that when we play back this data we hear what you hear, please! We will also be able to understand how you managed to record 7 times on the same measure region. It happened, and once we discover why it happened.. you can use this discovery to create your own workflow that successfully represents what you want to accomplish.

it is not possible to decipher what is Scene 1, what is Scene 2, what is Scene 3 and which is Scene 4…with a description

Help?
If you cannot post a .X7B MONTAGE CONNECT FILE (zipped) of the Performance, can you verbally describe how you put your Performance together for this data? Thank you.

We can help you know for sure what you’re doing but you’ll have to take it a step at a time.
If a term is used that you don’t understand, please stop, don’t guess, make sure you understand what it means… before proceeding.

__ Our assessment is you are not clear on the terminology - this is nothing that cannot be overcome fairly quickly. But must be done in order to ask questions and understand the answers.
__ Our assessment is you are not sure about the routine that allows recording to the Sequencer - again nothing that cannot be overcome fairly quickly. But this must be done because without a clear understanding of this you can wind up with data added onto already recorded data unnecessarily.
__ Our assessment thus far is - we cannot even begin to tackle the “Data Memory Full” issue until we sort out the nature of your internal data, separate from any sequencer issues — they are impacting you by preventing you from completing your Sequencing tasks. So once we’re clear on the creation of the data, then we’ll haves better way to analyze the overall issue.

Let’s start with assembling your Performance, okay? The one that goes with the MIDI file you uploaded…
Part 1 =
Part 2 =
Part 3 =
Part 4 =
Part 5 =
Part 6 =
Part 7 =
Part 8 = Drum Kit

Posted : 20/10/2021 3:47 pm
Member Admin

Colin, do not be despondent when reading the above.

BadMister, start by explaining how Overwrite works, and how the looping works in the Pattern "Sequencer". It is odd that it's somewhat aware of a loop length, but only from the very first recording. Subsequent loop length changes aren't fully understood by the "Sequencer" which is both peculiar and a hugely missed opportunity.

Posted : 20/10/2021 5:53 pm
Colin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Much from Bad Mister to digest here for future attempts at MIDI recording.I will read through carefully to learn for the future.

One quick point of note. The MIDI that I attached was a later version which I attempted AFTER having done a factory reset so Aftertouch WOULD have been back in.

I decided in the end to ditch the MIDI option this time and instead tried Pattern recording which seems to have worked ok with no problems. The Chaining option for scenes has also made the song construction very effective although I've now run out of available scenes to do some overdubs I wanted . No doubt I'll find a way around that issue.

Posted : 20/10/2021 9:32 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you don't want to utilize after touch then for each Part, navigate to the menu (Common) "Mod Control" -> "Receive SW" and turn "After Touch" off. If you save this to your Performance then you will no longer need to deal with after touch as a post process.

EDIT: This isn't true ... AT is recorded on Montage no matter what you configure when you use the local keyboard.

Posted : 21/10/2021 5:01 am
Colin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Jason

Posted : 21/10/2021 7:59 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Circling back to the data and what it may show about your process:

Yes, overdub vs. replacement recording is important to sort out. That said, one practical tip I would advise is to record in multiple passes and, assuming each Part is a single-Part instrument, turn off keyboard control for all Parts and then select (by touching the Part within the Pattern record screen or, better yet for Montage, press one of the PART SELECT buttons in the top row of the 8-button row to the right of the touchscreen) in order to select a single Part at a time. This would only record the active (selected) Part and avoid documenting controllers and notes to all Parts 1-8 at once. It seems you have Keyboard Control (the blue/green keyboard icon on each Part) turned ON (blue green instead of gray) for all Parts 1-8. Perhaps Part 8 you treat slightly differently. At least Parts 1-7 seem to be grouped together. recording each Part a pass at a time would place different MIDI events into each Part (MIDI channel) if you turn off Keyboard Control.

You may also notice demos where only Part 1 has keyboard control turned on. This works too. The reason for this is that if you select no Part(s) by pressing the [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) button or by pressing the [COMMON] button - then only Part 1 will sound because it's the only Part with keyboard control ON. With only Part 1 having keyboard control ON: if you select any Part other than Part 1 - then only this Part (Parts 2-16 only the single Part currently selected) will be documented.

You will get rid of doubling up on notes working this way.

If you really wanted two parts to be doubled - you could use a copy job. This is much more controlled than turning Keyboard Control ON for all Parts 1-8.

Posted : 21/10/2021 5:46 pm
Member Admin

Colin, if you want a more... realistic... insight into the Pattern Sequencer, this video:

https://youtu.be/bviHbzHeyaA

Posted : 21/10/2021 7:15 pm
Bad Mister

@J

If you don't want to utilize after touch then for each Part, navigate to the menu (Common) "Mod Control" -> "Receive SW" and turn "After Touch" off. If you save this to your Performance then you will no longer need to deal with after touch as a post process.

Point of order: this is not true.

Turning OFF the “Receive Switch” for Aftertouch does NOT prevent the AFTERTOUCH message from occurring, nor does it prevent it from being recorded — it simply stops the Part from receiving it. That Part’s track will still be full of Aftertouch messages… the Part in question will ignore it, but the AT data will still be recorded.

If you set one of your KBD CTRL Parts to ignore PB (as you would if using a Drum Kit)… this does not stop the keyboard from transmitting PB messages to your lead sound in a different KBD CTRL Part. All active Parts will record the data to their dedicated Track… whether the Part Receives it is totally separate.

Posted : 23/10/2021 1:13 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sorry for the misinformation. Too bad the Part setting doesn't prevent the recording of channel pressure for any Part(s) with receive off. If you want to prevent channel AT from being recorded use a MODX or external keyboard without AT. Seems like there should be a provision to turn on/off channel aftertouch from being documented. Maybe it's ideascale time.

Posted : 24/10/2021 12:42 am
Member Admin

Have just seen this problem with daughter's usage of Pattern Sequencer.

The edge cases HAVE NOT BEEN WELL TESTED.

This shouldn't come as a surprise. Programmers that obviously barely use the thing they're coding are very unlikely to be considering what happens at the extremities of the devices usage - like when it's nearing full.

ALL sorts of things are going haywire now that the memory is full, and as we delete Scenes and their "tracks" (which are the recording of parts within a Scene - this naming needs to be fixed) in an attempt to free up some Pattern Sequencer memory.

Some of the issues:

Tempo was changed, in the Performance associated with the Pattern. From what it has always been (128) to 180.

When clearing the contents of "track 8" of Scene 4, the content of tracks 1 & 2 were also deleted, except for their very first note.

No undo is available.

// YES... it was ONLY track 8, not all!

Part 8, in overview, is still claiming to have content within it.

When doubly deleting the contents of "track 8" of Scene 4, the Overview still showed this part is still showing it's got content in it. It does not. The message was shown "No data to clear", so even the MODX thought there was nothing in there. Only the Overview is unaware of the emptiness.

Tracks (parts) 1 & 2 are still showing that they've got content - but it's only that first note, despite their NOT having been cleared.

About 120 bars of recorded notes/music were lost from parts 1 & 2.

Restart.

Part 8 is now correctly displaying that it's empty. Parts 1 & 2 still (in overview) suggest they have content, but t's only this one note. Technically it's correct that they have content.. I suppose.

Re-record into parts 1 & 2 goes fine... at the end of recording (about 120 bars), the "data memory full" is shown when recording is stopped, but it's all in there.

Subsequently attempting to delete (clear) the contents of parts 1 & 2 now also shows the "data memory full" message. So there's obviously an error pertaining to where "undo" contents of a clear is stored, too.

Another re-recording to parts 1 & 2, right now, as I type this, is occurring, seemingly without issues... Will see once daughter stops playing how far it saves.

Other info:

There are about 20 empty patterns left.

Daughter's just stopped recording "Data Memory Full" warning again... but all 142 bars are recorded, she's just checked.

Posted : 24/10/2021 8:48 am
Member Admin

CORRECTION:

Last recording, of 142 bars of parts 1 and 2 did not survive a restart. First 3 bars did.

Posted : 24/10/2021 12:47 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us