Delay Effect Mystery

19 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Michael,
I think you zipped the wrong data - when I unzip your file named “cfx_mp_ep.zip”
It contains the data from the FM-Xplorations Part 2 article…”P3”, which, of course, LOADs just fine.

Sorry about that. I will do it correctly sometime later tonight.

Posted : 20/11/2021 5:01 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Embarrassingly enough, I just figured out what my problem was with standalone Montage Connect. I was using it wrong. I can describe that error if anyone cares, but it’s embarrassing enough just to admit it. 🙁

Anyway, here is my Motion Wah Guitar Performance, in a correctly built X7B file this time. The delay effect doesn’t happen until you go in and toggle the Tempo Delay Stereo preset away from and back to 1/8 Echo.

The problem happens whether or not the Performance is in the edit buffer or a user memory slot. I’d appreciate any help figuring out what’s going on here.

Please ignore all the previous noise about Montage Connect. My apologies to Bad Mister and Jason for their time wasted on looking into that. For a supposedly smart and technically adept person, I occasionally amaze myself with how I am capable of missing the obvious…

Attached files

motion_wah_guitar.zip (1.8 KB) 

Posted : 20/11/2021 8:07 am
Bad Mister

… here is my Motion Wah Guitar Performance, in a correctly built X7B file this time. The delay effect doesn’t happen until you go in and toggle the Tempo Delay Stereo preset away from and back to 1/8 Echo.

Here’s what’s happening:

You have the “Tempo Delay Stereo” (Insert A) parameter for Dry/Wet balance, assigned to Assign Switch 1.
The Effect is actually generating multiple repeats, spaced at 1/8 note intervals when you first recall the program… but because the [AsSw1] in inactive and Control Assign is setting the balance to 100% Dry.

If you engage [AsSw1] you’ll hear your 1/8 repeats.

How to track this down:
From the HOME screen:
[SHIFT] + [HOME] to see the “Motion Control” > “Overview” screen
With “Part 1” selected you can see what’s assigned.
Tap the shortcut box “Edit Part 1 Control Settings”

This takes you to the Part 1 > “Control Assign” screen
Activate “Auto Select” (green)
Set the “Display Filter” = All
You’ll see that one of the Destinations is “InsA Dry/Wet”
You’ll also see that Part AssignKnob7 is “InsA FdbkLvl” Feedback Level

Press [AsSw1]

Here you can see that
The Curve Type (Square) is creating an all or nothing switch.
The Ratio is -64 (basically) placing it in the ‘nothing’ position

The AsSw buttons always default to Off (inactive).

If you want the 1/8 Echos to sound immediately upon you recalling and playing — set the Ratio to a positive (+) value…
Or change “Param 1” so that the minimum setting is not the initial value when the Performance is recalled.

Use Part AssignKnob 7 to control the number of 1/8 note repeats in the Echo.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 20/11/2021 7:18 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Bad Mister, I appreciate your help.

Sorry again for the wild goose chase.

Posted : 20/11/2021 10:03 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us