Notifications
Clear all

Drums on/off Montage

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Bob
Topic starter

I noticed that some presets have drums set to activate on the scene buttons but when I tried to set it up myself and add drums to a preset it works fine but if I want it to it turn off on a adjacent stored scene button it stays active even tried muting and lowering the volume which worked but it lowered it for all scene buttons. . So what am i not doing wrong? -- I want the drums to stop when a press an other scene button??:(

Posted : 26/07/2016 12:04 pm
Bad Mister

There are several ways to not have the drums in a particular Scene. If you are trying to do it by Muting the audio in a Scene, that could work but would be the hard way to accomplish this - as you've discovered adding items to an already stored SCENE situation can be a challenge. Particularly with MUTEs... Mutes as found on the channel disconnects the Part from the audio out. And its status persists (that is it remains as the condition, until it gets a message to change) which means adding just one Mute event unusually is never enough.

I recommend using a special Arpeggio Phrase to "silence" the drums. I think you will find that in most of the Preset Performances they use this Mute Phrase, as well, not the Mute button function.

Take "DJ Montage" as an example, the four on the floor kick drum is in Part 8, in SCENEs 1 & 2, there are no drums, but in SCENE 3 the kick begins.
(The Arps 1-8, are linked in order to the Scene buttons 1-8)

From the HOME screen
Press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT 8]
Press the lower [COMMON] button
Touch "Arpeggio" > "Individual"
You can see that for Arp 1 & 2, the drum kit is set to play an arpeggio pattern named "Mute 4/4".
That's how they "silence" the drummer... They actually have a measure of tacit drums (a measure rest). Among the 10,000 arps - #9982 Mute 4/4 - this is a very useful one - if you explore the list - it comes in several time signatures.

You will find this method easier to update, because you can place it where you want, especially to manage arp Parts. Instead of having to worry about putting in "Unmute" events....or if you turn the Part Arp Switch Off, having to retriggering the drums, the Mute Arp allows the drum Part to remain active yet not play.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 26/07/2016 2:06 pm
 Bob
Topic starter

Ok that worked on a preset I modified and added drums to. Thanks,

But there was a preset that set MUTE 4/4 to Scene 1 when it didn't work and it was "FM Harpune AF 1&2" It stopped the drum arpeggiator for scene 1 but the drums sounded when i hit the keys. I tried several things to not to get the drums to sound but nothing worked in that case.

Also found a quick "Touch Screen" way to get to Arpeggio Individual and that was I hit the drum [DR/Pc Drums] Link (after I added the drums) on Home screen then hit [EDIT] on the left >Arp >Individual. I went to that because the lower common didn't alway light up when I would hit the [PART SELECT] Button. Don't know why exactly but the touch screen method got me there every time.

Thanks again,;)

Posted : 27/07/2016 12:54 am
Bad Mister

But there was a preset that set MUTE 4/4 to Scene 1 when it didn't work and it was "FM Harpune AF 1&2" It stopped the drum arpeggiator for scene 1 but the drums sounded when i hit the keys. I tried several things to not to get the drums to sound but nothing worked in that case.

There is a parameter called "Arp Play Only" and as you can guess by the name its purpose is exactly so drums only sound in response to the arpeggiator not to direct key presses.

Press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT] and the number to select the drum Part
Press the lower [COMMON] button
Touch "Arpeggio" > "Common"
Set the ARP PLAY ONLY = ON

This prevents key presses from triggering drums when the Master Arp On/Off switch is Off.

Also found a quick "Touch Screen" way to get to Arpeggio Individual and that was I hit the drum [DR/Pc Drums] Link (after I added the drums) on Home screen then hit [EDIT] on the left >Arp >Individual. I went to that because the lower common didn't alway light up when I would hit the [PART SELECT] Button. Don't know why exactly but the touch screen method got me there every time.

When in Edit and you press [PART SELECT] or [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] if the lower [COMMON] button does not light up it is because one of the eight (AWM2) Elements or eight (FM-X) Operators is currently selected. Once you see this you will always see it....here's what's going on: while in EDIT, say you press [PART SELECT]...

In the screen is the Common option (extreme lower left corner) - this is the equivalent to the lower [COMMON] button
In the screen to the right of the "Common" option are the eight Elements/Operators, these parallel the third row of eight buttons on your right front panel, to the immediate right of the lower [COMMON] button... The Select the Element 1-8, or Operator 1-8.

The screen shows active Elements/Operators in bright blue along the bottom of the screen, the third physical row of buttons are used to Select Element/Operators, while the bottom row of eight are used to indicate the item above them is active now... And can be used to Mute... Or solo, if you hit that option.

Posted : 27/07/2016 1:33 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us