Clear all

General FM-X Questions

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

EDIT: I have a MODX, posted in wrong forum, page references are different between MODX and MONTAGE Manuals. Content/Text is the same.

Q1: Page 155 of the Reference Manual, it says:-
Resonance (Spectral Resonance) Determines the degree to which velocity affects the Resonance of the Spectral Form.

Is this correct? I notice the Resonance does increase for higher values of this parameter, but I could not detect any correlation between Resonance and Key Velocity. No matter how hard I hit the keys, the Resonance was the same.

Q2: I notice there is a BASIC PitchEG for each Operator (Edit - Operator - Form/Freq. This is in addition to the PEG in "FM-X Part Edit". I guess there is a reason/purpose for this but I can't see anything in the Manual texts. Please can you advise?

Q3: Reference Manual Page 158. Break Point and the "Butterfly" diagram. I remember seeing this printed on the panel of DX7s.
I think this is similar to the Level/Key of AWM2 (Page 122) but more complex.
What is the purpose of this function and the extra complexity (exponential curves etc)? I assume there is one, since it was on the DX7 also.
(apologies if the answer is astoundingly obvious, I just can't see it).

Posted : 31/01/2021 3:36 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

For me, montage_en_rm_a0.pdf ( https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/812529/montage_en_rm_a0.pdf ) page 155 doesn't have that. It's on page 141. It doesn't change your question - just in case others are looking for the doc reference.

Q2: The Edit-Operator-Form/Freq allows each individual operator (carrier or modulator) to have a unique pitch envelope. You'd want this for a variety of reasons. Maybe you only want to change the timbre of the sound over time using an envelope. Using the operator-level Form/Freq envelope - you can accomplish this without changing the actual pitch of the carriers (final output). Or maybe you want to affect the pitch over time of some carriers and not others. Or maybe just the carriers but not change the timbre and avoid changing the pitch of modulators.

The Part common level PEG is "the same" PEG found in the DX7. The way it works is that the PEG envelope is applied to all operators simultaneously (and identically). Since FM-X has some lineage to the DX7 and tries, at some level, to maintain some compatibility with the DX7's operation - you can look at DX7 documentation to help fill in some gaps where perhaps FM-X doesn't spell out what's going on.

Something like: https://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/docs_manuals/yamaha_dx7_basic_fm_synthesis.pdf or more official documentation.

Q3: For me the documentation on Montage A0 reference is page 145 ("butterfly diagram" and break point).

This is about level scaling as you play notes to the right and left of the break-point MIDI note. Linear scaling will higher and lower levels at a constant rate with every next key as you travel up (or down) from the break point. With exponential, you will have smaller level changes near the breakpoint and greater level changes the further away you get from the breakpoint.

https://yamahasynth.com/learn/synth%20-programming/fm-101-part-five-expanding-your-sound

Above outlines/defines what it does and gives some experiments to try to train yourself how it works in practice.

Posted : 31/01/2021 5:00 am
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

This is about level scaling as you play notes to the right and left of the break-point MIDI note. Linear scaling will higher and lower levels at a constant rate with every next key as you travel up (or down) from the break point. With exponential, you will have smaller level changes near the breakpoint and greater level changes the further away you get from the breakpoint.

https://yamahasynth.com/learn/synth%20-programming/fm-101-part-five-expanding-your-sound

Above outlines/defines what it does and gives some experiments to try to train yourself how it works in practice.

Thanks.

Wow. Just read through those FM 101 tutorials. There's no way I would have understood all that from just the Diagram or MODX/MONTAGE manuals.

Going to have a look through the "Manny's FM-Xploration" tutorials now recommended by BM.

Regards Q1.... is this a typo regarding velocity? Or is it correct, correlation to be discovered in deeper FM Guides?

Posted : 31/01/2021 7:14 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Q1 I believe is a typo borrowed from the parameters (cut-paste error) that are velocity related. This one slipped past the editors / reviewers apparently.

Since FM-X, at the core, is basically the FS1R implementation without FS1R's formant shaping - the FS1R manual gives a better summary of what this parameter is all about.

Source: https://synthpalace.com/SynthPDFs/FS1R%20manual.PDF

10 (N:08): Resonance (V & N)
❑ Resonance
❑ Settings: 0 … 99
This parameter is only effective when the “res1” or “res2” spectral form (see “Form” parameter, above) is selected. It
determines at which harmonic a resonance peak is produced. Higher values produce a resonance peak at higher
harmonics of the fundamental pitch.

Posted : 31/01/2021 7:37 am
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for clarifying. Keeps me sane. 😀

Posted : 31/01/2021 8:01 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us