Clear all

Hardware eFX unit

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

I am having difficulties setting up an external effects unit to the Montage.

I would like to connect an Eventide Eclipse using the analog ins and outs to the Montage but when I add the hardware efx unit on Cubase (Device set up) the only routing options I am given are β€˜USB outs’

Please can you advise how I would set up the Montage to send and receive audio from a hardware efx unit

Thanks

T

Posted : 05/07/2016 6:30 pm
Bad Mister

Setting up an External Effect for use with Cubase requires you give us the version of Cubase you are using. Then you need to check whether your particular version allows for External Effect routing. For example, Cubase Pro 8 allows you to setup your External Effect with full delay compensation. Once configured within Cubase you can route any audio signal (not just your Montage) to this effect. It will be availabl, just as any Effect should be, to be routed to by any audio in Cubase.

If you do not have Cubase Pro, then routing to your external effect will have to be via the analog ins. Then your issue is how do you get the audio from the external effect into the DAW.

We know the Montage delivers its audio to the computer via USB. But you can route any Part(s) or individual drum to the analog Assignable Outputs, as necessary. This removes them from the System Outputs and isolates that Part to the selected output "AsL", "AsR" or as a stereo pair "AsL&R". These analog outputs can then be connected to the analog inputs of your Effect processor.

Then your issue is how do you get the audio from the external effect into the DAW. How do you normally connect to the computer with the Eventide unit?

Posted : 05/07/2016 9:22 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

Sorry for the lack of info, I am using Cubase 8.5 Pro.

I used to connect the Eventide using ADAT light pipe into my RME UCX I would the route as a send effect in Cubase via the analog ins and outs of the RME in Device set up.

The Eventide is an old machine and so it only has ΒΌ inch jacks (Balanced & unbalanced) and the ADAT light pipe (I was comfortable running ADAT)

Thanks for taking the time to help out!!

T

Posted : 05/07/2016 9:41 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry for the lack of info, I am using Cubase 8.5 Pro.

I used to connect the Eventide using ADAT light pipe into my RME UCX I would the route as a send effect in Cubase via the analog ins and outs of the RME in Device set up.

The Eventide is an old machine and so it only has ΒΌ inch jacks (Balanced & unbalanced) and the ADAT light pipe (I was comfortable running ADAT)

Hey, I'm an old machine, doesn't mean you can use it in today's setup πŸ™‚ your setup with Cubase Send/Return can still work for you.

There is no effect loop setup in Montage, and the preferred way (flexibility) would be using the Cubase Send Effect routine. Check with Steinberg through your MySteinberg Account - they may have some input on using the Eventide in Cubase Pro 8.

Posted : 06/07/2016 2:02 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks BM, I have re read your response and see that I was not assigning the usb to analog out and vice versa. I will have another tinker with things tonight and if still the issues I'll contact Steinberg πŸ™‚

T

Posted : 06/07/2016 2:44 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us