Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Selecting / Changing the Engine Type of a Part (i.e. FM-X or AWM2 or Drum) How ?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I'm guessing this must be simple to do. But, I can't find info. on this detail, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Basically, Where on the Montage Interface do I select the type of Engine for a Part (i.e. FM-X, AWM2, Drum) ?

And if for example a part uses AWM2, can I change it to FM-X and start programming the part as FM-X ? or Vice Versa ?

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 05/07/2016 7:14 pm
david
Reputable Member

I haven't ever begun a performance from scratch. I'd simply select an existing single-part performance, either FMX or AWM2, and then add other parts to it like building blocks. But don't recreate the building block itself. Or begin with a performance and edit it. You could initialize a performance I guess but why start from scratch on anything?

Posted : 05/07/2016 8:53 pm
 Phil
Eminent Member

The choice of AWM of FMx would be done at the part selection stage - either by starting from scratch with an INIT performance or by merging some or all of the parts from an existing performance to the performance you are editing. You can filter out the parts that you want to see to choose from by selecting the Attribute pull down menu when you press + to add a part. You can't alter a current parts attribute - you would simply add a new part with the attribute that you want then delete the unwanted part.

Posted : 05/07/2016 8:56 pm
david
Reputable Member

For example: I want to build an FMX EP with an AWM2 piano layered with it. I'd go locate an FMX EP "single-part" performance that has already been created. Once I select that performance then I have my foundation established in the slot #1 position. I can now edit that part to taste to do it later. Next, I'd touch the "+" beside that part #1 and go search for a piano, perhaps CFX. Whatever piano I select in this menu will effectively audition my new combined creation. You can tap on several pianos until you find the sound you like. After you exit this menu then that sound will be occupying slot #2. If you like the new performance then save it. You can keep adding new parts with the "+" until you are content with your new performance.

If you happen to begin your creation with a multi-part performance, then the "+" will come after the last occupied slot.

Posted : 05/07/2016 9:24 pm
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I'm not sure I got the answer I'm looking for.

OK. A Montage PART can be one of three types : 1) Normal AWM2 , 2) Normal FM-X , 3) Drum . Basically, where on the Montage do I select the TYPE of a specific Part ? or is there no such parameter selection option for a PART ?

I find it a bit strange/odd that the user doesn't have a choice to set the Type of Synthesis a Part will use. If it exists, then I can't seem to find it.

Maybe Bad Mister can clarify this detail.

Thanks for your feedback,
Tarek

Posted : 06/07/2016 3:25 am
 Phil
Eminent Member

Firstly are you using the most up to date firmware? 1.11. I'm a bit confused as the answers people have given seem to answer the question (unless we're misunderstanding the question).

The Montage has a large number of preset performances that cannot be overwritten - once you make a change it must be stored as a new performance otherwise the changes are lost.

On power up the Montage will probably take you to the Live Set screen. From here when you press on a slot it and then press either the Performance button or the Home icon on the screen it will take you to the home screen of that performance. Any empty slots on that home page can be seen and you can add a part to it by pressing the + icon. At this point you can choose the kind of part you want to add.

The Performance Merge page will open.

At the top click on Attribute.

A window will open on the left hand side where you can use to filter the type of performance you wish to add (you will see AWM2 and FM-X listed there - in addition the colour of the performance name indicates whether it is a single or multi part - green for single, blue for multi).

Once you select your choice it will be added to the current performance.

At this point you can edit it and delete the parts you don't need as necessary.

To start from scratch it is slightly different. You still need to begin with an existing performance but this time click the category search button. From here the second category down on the left hand side is INIT, pressing this gives you the option of creating a single part performance whose part can be AWM2, FM-X or Drum. When you press enter you create a performance with one part of that type.

You can add other parts to that performance in the same way as merging from an existing performance. Again press INIT then choose the part type you wish to add.

The important thing though is that once you have chosen a part type you cannot change its attribute, you can only delete it and start again.

I hope this helps.

Posted : 06/07/2016 6:29 am
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

After a bit of manual digging, and navigating the Montage Screen.

I found what I was looking for.

Basically, you can add a part to any Performance in the Synthesis format you desire by :

1. Press the '+' button shown on an empty Part to add it to the Performance.

2. Select the 'Init' Category button.

3. You will now see the options to add Initialized Normal (AWM2), Initialized Normal (FM-X), Init Drum , Multi-GM (See attached Pic).

4. Select your choice. i.e. Normal (FM-X) will add a new FM-X part to the Performance, then you can go ahead and build you FM-X patch.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,
Tarek

Posted : 06/07/2016 6:32 am
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, that's also very helpful.

Cheers,
Tarek

Posted : 06/07/2016 6:44 am
Bad Mister

Page 21 of the Owner's Manual describes "Selecting an Initialized Performance"
And with version 1.10 Supplemental Manual, page 5 describes the added "Performance Merge" feature.

Posted : 06/07/2016 3:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us