Clear all

How do you audition arpeggeos?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
john
 john
Topic starter

Is there a way of listening to each arpeggio in the arpeggio list? Sort of like the 'Audition' button does for sounds and performances. So far I haven't found a way of playing or hearing all the arpeggios to be able to choose one that suits my needs. Thanks....

Posted : 18/02/2018 2:03 pm
Bad Mister

You really shouldn’t ever want to hear all the Arpeggios in the list... the list is now 10,231 Arps long.

I would say a “best practice” would be, first, if you know exactly what you want, Record it yourself.
Use the Arp phrases for inspiration... search for them by Instrument Category first. Any Arp can be applied to any sound, but obviously some choices are far better than others. Bass Arps on basses, guitar Arps for guitars, etc, and certainly drum Arps for drum kits.

“Mg” or so called “Mega” Arpeggios are designed specifically to work with particular Mega Part Programs.
When you are on an Arpeggio name related parameter, you can search Arpeggio Types (purple)
The Data List booklet can be extremely helpful in finding the suggested instrument for a particular Arpeggio... although there is nothing that prevents you from assigning anything you want.

The phrases can be freely interchanged but are listed with coded prefixes:
MA, MB, MC, MD for example, “M” for main section, and the second letter for complexity A-D, simple to more complex.
FA, FB, FC, “F” for fill-in, and again the second letter for complexity
IA, IB, “I” for Intro, second letter complexity
E, Ending
BA “B” for Break
These are suggestions, again you are free to use them as you desire.

There are also suffixes, Like “N” and “C”, no chord, chord.

Many Single Part instruments are stored with an Arp associated with it... this general puts you in the basic search category when you go to select Arps.
There are two places to access the Arp assignments:

From the HOME screen
Touch “Motion Control” > “Arpeggio”
Here you can see an overview of all Parts and their assigned Arp phrase

From the HOME screen
Press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT X]
Touch “Arpeggio” > “Individual”
Here you can see the Arps assigned to this particular Part.

For an Arp to be activated you must set the Part’s Arp On/Off Switch and the Main Arp On/Off Switch to On.
When you touch the Arp Name box a pop-in menu appears to search for Arps (purple).

Posted : 18/02/2018 4:59 pm
john
 john
Topic starter

Yes, over 10,000 arps are a lot to listen too. 😉 Anyway, so far I have read the "Arpeggio Making 101" and that has helped tremendously. Much easier to program my own than search through the long list of the built in arps. And anyone interested in arpeggios. I recommend reading the two part "Arpeggio Making 101" as there is a ton of information there and it's very easy to follow and understand. I was making my own arps within thirty minutes.
Thank you for your reply....

Posted : 19/02/2018 1:43 pm
john
 john
Topic starter

Cris,
Yes, that would be an ideal way of doing things. Hopefully they can do this in a firmware upgrade...

Posted : 19/02/2018 5:30 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Perhaps in a next gen, as keyboard manufacturers continue to place Wifi connectivity into the keyboard (there are examples out there from "2nd tier" manufacturers) - that would be an even more ideal way. Montage will never have this unless they enable use of a Wifi dongle (extremely unlikely - I am not expecting or necessarily even wishing for this feature). However, Wifi should be an R&D bullet point on the future roadmap. I would suggest having a power-kill FET for the Wifi feature so it is completely in "sleep" mode (turned off) until perhaps the user pushes a button to enable. This way Wifi will be off and will not interfere with analog circuitry in general usage and might even "time out" after inactivity to even further promote it being OFF when not wanting to do data transfers. This will make it easier to integrate. If "on" all the time, then there's more electrical work in keeping Wifi isolated from the analog side to prevent crosstalk noise during Wifi I/O.

I would also like to see "big data" transfer through the USB2.0 "To Host" port such that 3rd party tools could directly manipulate things which now require transferring the data files over (X7U, X7A, X7L, MIDI, sample data, etc) using a USB stick to access. Not using MIDI, but using standard USB 2.0 endpoints (also in USB world called "bulk data transfer").

MIDI is in the realm of "small" or "medium" data. Not as big as sample data tends to be. For ARPs (due to some restrictions) the size of information in an ARP MIDI sequence should be less than a bulk dump worth of data.

Posted : 19/02/2018 11:52 pm
Bad Mister

Motif XF had the ability to address the computer with file transfer to/from - proved too difficult for the average user, Ethernet for high speed data transfer (transferring almost anything at MIDI speeds is horrible), sign in and password protocols to log onto computer, frankly, was above most musicians, went mostly unused... alas... 🙁

Currently, via USB, a MONTAGE Song file can be accessed (drag n drop) from Song Folder to your computer. To move a .mid to the MONTAGE you must load it from a USB stick.

Posted : 20/02/2018 1:42 pm
john
 john
Topic starter

Jason... With the popularity of WiFi, I am surprised a 2nd or 3rd party (or Yamaha itself) hasn't come up with an add-on for this to Montage. (I haven't heard of any, could be out there already.) Anyway, I highly agree that WiFi needs a way to be turned off completely. A power cut would be the ideal way of doing it and not hard (or expensive) to integrate into it. Certainly a lot cheaper (and easier) than trying to shield other circuits from it.

Posted : 20/02/2018 1:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

BM, in 1987 Apple released a first "tablet" computer called the Apple Newton. It was a big flop. Wrong time/paradigm. Wrong interface particulars. Wrong overall functionality. Lots of other companies including ones I've designed hardware for tried tablets and they all flopped. Then the iPad was released and now tablets (more than just iPad) are very popular.

Ethernet was the wrong technology at the wrong time. USB is much better and does not have the configuration pitfalls Ethernet has. Wifi is much more "plug and play" these days since there are so many "IOT" (internet of things) devices out there - consumers are accustomed to setting up these devices. And now another computer you have on your person all the time - your cell phone - is used as a configuration device ("provisioning") for IOT Wifi devices. It's a different world - different paradigm - different way of doing things. USB is the "way to go" with Montage if it can be done -- probably not the highest priority given it's not like moving a mountain to use the current method - but there are lots of things to be gained by being able to transfer "big data" over USB 2.0 between a computer and Montage. Auto-backup of your Montage is one benefit (firmware update saves an X7A on your computer automatically before backup) - along with other great 3rd party software enablement ("it just works without fiddling") - simplifying the user experience and moving focus around file-system stuff to the more musical side of Montage.

Of course not willing features here - just advocating for eventual changes sometime in the product roadmap - even if on later generations of the hardware.

Posted : 20/02/2018 2:44 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us