how to go back one step when editing?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi, I know someone here already answered this but I cannot find it. I read about a compare function in the manual to compare the original sound with the edited version but nothing about how to go back one step.

Posted : 02/12/2016 9:29 am
Bad Mister

Are you are talking about undoing your last edited parameter? Or, are you talking about going back to the screen you last came from?

The Edit/Compare feature allows you to see what was stored for a parameter. You can toggle back and forth between what is was and what you have it set at now. You are A/B'ing the Edit Buffer and the Stored value. The flashing button indicates you are viewing the stored condition. Return to EDIT by pressing the button again. The light remains steady, you can now change the value. It does not "undo" you return to Edit and set the value.

If you enter Edit and dive down a level, the [EXIT] button or the "up" arrow on the very top line of the screen, allows you to return to the previous screen. This includes when you temporarily naviage to a Utility screen.

Posted : 02/12/2016 5:20 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

thanks, but I want to undo the last edit.

Posted : 02/12/2016 7:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It may also be important to express what last edit means. In other words one can edit one parameter between the last save or multiple parameters. And do you mean last edit to be only one parameter or does last edit mean all the parameters that have changed since the last performance save. To my knowledge there has never been an undo that just undos one thing on Yamaha keyboards.

Posted : 02/12/2016 10:19 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

so, how about just recalling the last saved performance? (without the completely inconvenient method of loading another performance and then the one to be edited again)

Posted : 03/12/2016 8:10 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

For recalling the last saved performance, I think you have your answer:

The reference manual outlines that the recall buffer, which saves your original performance before making changes (which are stored to the edit buffer), is restored if you do not [STORE] the changes and instead load some other performance so the edit buffer is "thrown out". This is exactly what you say you don't want to do (seems like you understand how it works - and am asking for an alternative). I don't find it that limiting to press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) then turn the DATA DIAL one click to counter clockwise then one click clockwise. This will clear my changes since the previous PERFORMANCE is selected, then current PERFORMANCE - which follows the actions needed to throw out my edits (the edit buffer). I wouldn't mind having a single button to do this (single gesture) - but 3 gestures isn't at my personal threshold of "completely" inconvenient. That's a personal thing - so the feedback that "it is to you" is certainly valuable.

I have no idea why one would need a recall buffer - since the edit buffer already serves as a way to prevent from touching the memory storage space for performances. Seems like the lower level would work like this:

0) Edit buffer has data from current performance along with any changes [initialization state] - essentially is "don't care"
1) Select a new performance
2) Edit buffer is cleared and filled with new performance settings FROM performance memory TO a temporary buffer
3) User makes edits - TO the temporary edit buffer (not to anything else)
4) If NOT [STORE]'d - when a user switches performances (back to step 1) - no action is taken. So edits are "thrown out" - no need for a recall buffer to make this work.

Even for the compare feature - there's no need for a "compare buffer" - the compare can just go back and read the, yet unchanged, memory storage area of the performance settings instead of having a shadow of the original settings. At a lower level, however, the way a memory read may require the compare buffer (see below - *1).

I can see how you would look at a recall buffer and say "why not use this thing, and upon pressing some 'recall' button, copy the recall buffer into the edit buffer?"

According to Yamaha, this isn't how the system works - although it looks like they have two extraneous buffers to get the functions currently supported to work.

*1 - Maybe a read to the memory where performance data is (the primary storage element) automatically fills the edit buffer - so they have to have a compare buffer to serve the compare function

But that doesn't explain why a recall buffer is needed. The only reason, with how the system works today, you would need the recall buffer is if you somehow trashed the the user memory space during edit buffer changes. This doesn't seem reasonable since you have to press [STORE] or, by definition, memory will not be "trashed".

I'm either missing something - or it seems reasonable that one would walk through the logic and come to the conclusion that either a recall buffer is unnecessary or that having one implies functionality that does not exist (which could fuel these kind of questions).

One interesting thing that the DX7 supports is something actually useful with a recall buffer. On the DX7 - even after losing your edit buffer ("mistaken") - by switching to a new "voice" without first pressing "STORE" - you could load up your "lost" edit buffer by loading the recall buffer which would still hold the original contents of the edit buffer before they were "lost" by switching a voice.

This would actually, in Montage, put a recall buffer to use. But I do not see documentation (or BM's clarification message) which supports that this exists.

As a footnote: the recall/compare buffers serve more than just performance data - but above focuses on performance data since this is the "lens" through which the original question was asked.

Posted : 03/12/2016 12:42 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I didnยดt know about the wheel trick, I always went thru category search - which is verrry inconvenient - well thanks then, this is easy ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted : 03/12/2016 4:29 pm
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us