Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Mixing Montage pianos and using compression and limiting to get smooth Master file.

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
jayeson
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I've said before that I feel the Montage piano samples and dynamic range are truly phenomenal. I own many piano sample libraries and they've all been retired.

I'm looking for suggestions how people are recording specifically piano sounds and bringing up the levels for a final Master.

I have tried both recording into the Montage and also direct into Logic. Both ways sound excellent keeping levels at -18 DB.

When I start to bring the levels up using compression and limiting, there seems to be some harshness creeping in. Also the low mids can get mushy. This may be do to the huge dynamic range of the instrument.

In the box we need to record close to -18db in order to avoid clipping. At 24 bit that allows for tons of headroom to bring the final level up to close to 0db. I have the Slate bundle, Fab-filter EQ and Pro L, and Ozone 7.

I've have spent endless hrs using the onboard Montage EQ, and tracking to audio with these EQ levels adjusted. Playing back, adjusting Eq, listening on different speakers etc. Specifically when the high mids are brought down some of the harshness smooths when levels are brought up. Also spotting harsh frequencies with Fab-Filter and notching them out. Putting compressors on buses and blending in compression as levels come up

Hoping to hear how others maintain a gorgeous sounding piano recording that is -18 db and keep that warmth as levels come up to close to 0db.

Thanks in advance

Posted : 03/12/2016 1:13 am
jayeson
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Here's what is working best so far:

Record piano using Montage recorder

Playback through DAW setting levels to -18db

Put compressor on bus and bring up gain to taste

Put mastering limiter on master bus and bring levels to -2 or so -1 db

Now use the lovely sounding 5 band eq to adjust if needed.

Then print(record) to track

Any thoughts please chime in

Posted : 03/12/2016 8:17 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us