Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

I might need a simpler instrument

80 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin

Arpeggio power of Montage/MODX is greatly underrated, IMNSHO...

Just to give you some idea of what's possible without the Pattern Sequencer, without the Motion Sequencer and without the SuperKnob, just four parts over two splits, this is a bit of menu "music" I made for a game I'm working on, by just holding down a couple of chords, and then moving a few fingers around on the keys... with zero musical talent, and not much clue what I was doing:

Hopefully it's somewhere here as a zip link..

Attached files

GameMenuMusicLoop.mp3.zip (1 MB) 

Posted : 18/08/2021 1:42 pm
Reputable Member

Downloaded and heard.
Thank you.

Some music is made without deeply understanding everything down to the bones, be it a Tam-tam or a bamboo stringed Valiha the instruments used. Or a Montage. Also, an octave is an octave regardless of you knowing or not it even existed. So a lot of great music can be made to shine out of the keyboard once your heart makes a deep call for it.

Received piano lessons...? Never mind....!!!!

And once you go over the Circle of Fifths (I learned it counterclockwise, C at 12, G at 11, D at 10, F at 13, A at 9...) you will hardly make any progress on it if you are composing, since a lot of music will be displayed almost by itself as soon as you use the very basic basics. Specially once you discover a scale having a fingering that really matches your own style. The only way to make good all the trip around is just going "...and now play the same tune again but this time on this other key..." which is not at all needed. Later your own mood will ask for another key, since you also will discover sooner or later that D is not appropriate, while Bb matches perfectly the solemnity you thought about.
And about the same goes with scale tuning...Meantone Tuning...?

Posted : 18/08/2021 3:45 pm
Member Admin

Downloaded and heard.
Thank you.

Some music is made without deeply understanding everything down to the bones, be it a Tam-tam or a bamboo stringed Valiha the instruments used. Or a Montage. Also, an octave is an octave regardless of you knowing or not it even existed. So a lot of great music can be made to shine out of the keyboard once your heart makes a deep call for it.

Received piano lessons...? Never mind....!!!!

And once you go over the Circle of Fifths (I learned it counterclockwise, C at 12, G at 11, D at 10, F at 13, A at 9...) you will hardly make any progress on it if you are composing, since a lot of music will be displayed almost by itself as soon as you use the very basic basics. Specially once you discover a scale having a fingering that really matches your own style. The only way to make good all the trip around is just going "...and now play the same tune again but this time on this other key..." which is not at all needed. About the same goes with scale tuning...Meantone Tuning...?

From tip to toe, I have no idea what any of this means.

Posted : 18/08/2021 4:12 pm
Reputable Member

Easy on the eyes, I think, once you said ...."...by just holding down a couple of chords, and then moving a few fingers around on the keys... with zero musical talent, and not much clue what I was doing:..."

And..."...And I've never learnt to play the piano, despite starting at it perhaps a dozen times."

Posted : 18/08/2021 4:58 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I still don't know the circle of fifths, despite trying, several times.

And I've never learnt to play the piano, despite starting at it perhaps a dozen times.

good to know that I´m not the only one that cannot remember the circle of fifths 🙂 Yes you are probably right, Just exploring the Montage for a while without opening Cubase and my unfinished projects is probably a great idea. My unfinished songs need guitars, lyrics, singing (all thru the wonderful audio input of the Montage, of course!) I am not up to this at all right now. I will just play the Montage for a while without any ambitions to "make a song". Thank you. I´ll get to the songs in the winter. Maybe by then, I will remember Cubase and the rest, and I will probably have figured out that automation thing by december. let´s hope 🙂

Posted : 18/08/2021 5:04 pm
Reputable Member

The Circles of Fifths is not a thing to remember.

It is to be felt out of need.

You don't go recalling the vocals, you simply use them properly.

Posted : 18/08/2021 5:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This is to explain why I am askiing the same old stupid questions again

The questions are perfectly reasonable and I'm not phased by re-asking ground already covered. It makes replying easier to link back to previous discussions and I too use these myself when I forget. I'm happy to dig up old discussions -- I have a knack for searching and am pleased to share and hope even these old links are helpful.

Hope you haven't felt attacked by me. That was a comment by another user - not necessarily that I was doing the attacking - but they felt someone had.

Pain and suffering is a part of life for everyone. Some get more than others. I sincerely hope you can find solace through music creation and expression instead of the process becoming a negative experience. I don't know about the rest of your network - but I know you have allies here.

Posted : 18/08/2021 5:16 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The Circles of Fifths is not a thing to remember.

It is to be felt out of need.

You don't go recalling the vocals, you simply use them properly.

it´s not just the circle of fifths that I forgot but that whole music theory thing, scales, flats and sharps, 7ths and so on...DAMN I studied for months and months and now I´m back to being an ignoramus. Yes, all the geniuses practiced for many hours a day. People like me who only look into this once every 9 months don´t get anywhere soon... What did I expect? I have only myself to blame. And peolpe who can master the Montage and Cubase and Midi spend their time doing that, probably also daily. Not like me just once in a while. Once in a while doesn´t make a genius. I know, I know.....

Posted : 18/08/2021 5:20 pm
Reputable Member

It is so.
I have tons of songs...
On August the whole family is at home and I don't play a single key
When September comes and I go back, it is a bit hard at first.
Scenes must be played back to remember what I put there...

Don't you know what airline pilots say about their return after some time off...?
If it's been a week, I notice myself...
If a fortnight, my fellows do know...
If a whole month, even the passengers will notice it...!!!!

Posted : 18/08/2021 5:51 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hope you haven't felt attacked by me. That was a comment by another user - not necessarily that I was doing the attacking - but they felt someone had.

no no, have never felt attacked by you. your comments are always very useful, thow maybe sometimes too complicated for me to understand. or let´s say, I need to find the right frame of mind to study them in detail.

Posted : 18/08/2021 7:44 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

maybe that´s what I need, haha

Attached files

Posted : 18/08/2021 8:10 pm
Reputable Member

I have seen complex devices like the one you show and after having the chance to hearing some I just found their sound short of ridiculous, exactly as a bargain toy for a toddler, or short of it.

Posted : 18/08/2021 8:31 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I have seen complex devices like the one you show and after having the chance to hearing some I just found their sound short of ridiculous, exactly as a bargain toy for a toddler, or short of it.

really? this is Matin Gore´s toddler studio. not that I would have any idea what do do with all this Eurorack stuff 😉 Looking at it this way, I´m glad I only have the Montage to deal with!

Attached files

Posted : 18/08/2021 8:38 pm
Reputable Member

The name or fame of the proud owner is not related to the capability of the envelope the instrument inherently has. If it sounds bad, it sounds bad.

I could easily provide you with some links, but I will not contribute at all in extending the shame I felt myself while listening with utmost attention and interest to them.

On the contrary, a simple rude primitive instrument can work wonders...

https://youtu.be/nzOyAPpaszU

Posted : 18/08/2021 9:04 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The name or fame of the proud owner is not related to the capability of the envelope the instrument inherently has. If it sounds bad, it sounds bad.

I could easily provide you with some links, but I will not contribute at all in extending the shame I felt myself while listening with utmost attention and interest to them.

On the contrary, a simple rude primitive instrument can work wonders...

https://youtu.be/nzOyAPpaszU

alright, I´ll stick to my kalimba, my ukulele and my melodica. and so easy to record. using the amazing Montage audio in. the advantage with those things: no midi, no automation curves 😉 if I mess up, I have to replay. just like the old days.....

Posted : 18/08/2021 9:14 pm
Page 3 / 6
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us