Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

I own the motif 6 classic, can the sequencer on the classic be used with the montage through midi and if so in what ways, I would concider purchasing the montage for the new workflow as long as there are ways for this new workflow to work with my classic to create more

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I own the motif 6 classic, can the sequencer on the classic be used with the montage through midi and if so in what ways, I would concider purchasing the montage for the new workflow as long as there are ways for this new workflow to work with my classic to create more

Posted : 03/02/2016 4:26 am
Bad Mister

MIDI data you create on the Motif 6 can be output to any other MIDI capable device. Each Track is routed to the internal Motif tone generator, to an external tone generator, both or neither, as you setup the sequencer. I'm afraid I don't know specifically "how" that sequencer will work in a workflow with Montage, you will have to write the manual for that one. 🙂

I can tell you, your theory is good. If I was your local sales person I would ask you to rethink your workflow... In the interest of selling you something you can actually use.... Because if you are asking "IS it possible", then you are probably not super adept at routing MIDI, am I right? So why would you clamp those restrictions on yourself? If I'm wrong - and I well might be, sorry, then yes, the Montage is capable of receiving and transmitting what it does via MIDI.

I'd want to hear a *better reason* to purchase the Montage than you have come up with - least I see your face in two weeks, full of frustration, wondering why trying to fold 2016 into a 2001 workflow is not exactly what you had envisioned. I would highly recommend a workflow that included a computer digital audio workstation (DAW) functionality giving you the option of recording both MIDI and audio. Recording audio to the Motif classic would be 64MB maximum and quite clumsy to manage compared to other easily available devices. It's like your tone engine would be from 2016 and your sequencer/recorder is from 2001.

We have not discussed your particular production method or genre so I'm speaking generally,, but I can make some fairly accurate assumptions about your workflow and how, what is a strength for Montage, would be difficult, if not impossible, for you to document in your envisioned setup.

You currently work by recording one-track-at-a-time, on one MIDI channel at a time.

It's the interactivity of what happens in Montage that is compelling. Motion is a key word... This can be moving one sound into another, or having the rhythm or tempo of one thing interact with the results of another (to the limits of imagination)... The Montage has expanded your control over your selected Parts - you will be addressing multiple Parts so the one track at a time method can be used, of course, but... The point is taking advantage of what is new about Montage you may find requires a recorder that records audio or can record multiple channels of MIDI data simultaneously. Because playing the keys of a Montage can be generating data on as many as 8 MIDI Channels simultaneously, yet the resulting audio is a result of how you route things in your Performance setup.

A better workflow would be to use your (difficult to break away from) Motif classic and route the left+right audio outputs to the A/D inputs of the Montage and its MIDI OUT jack to the MIDI IN of the Montage (and vice versa)... Connect the Montage via USB to a computer running Cubase... Tell me THIS is what you are thinking of doing and I can give scores of ways to be creative and yet live in 2016! This way you can use your beloved Motif classic and use it as a trigger source within your Montage Performance. You can construct your music using your current workflow- and when your ready to record (finalize) your Project - use the Montage to route your data via its 32 audio outputs via USB - that's stereo plus 30 assignable outputs. The assignables can be set as mono or in odd/even stereo pairs as you require.

If you are just doing fun Projects, skip the computer and Cubase and record everything to a USB drive connected to Montage's TO DEVICE port. Here you can stream up to 74 minutes of live performances per file. But trying to make both a Motif and a Montage "fit" into just the Motif classic sequencer, hmmm! Might sound good in theory, if I were you I'd wait, try out the Montage, then come up with a (better) plan.

It sounds like you're making a plan based on two items, one of which you know extremely well, the other you know little or nothing about (yet). I'd like to hear your thoughts after you've had a bit of time to grok what you will find compelling about Montage for your music. Does that make sense?

Posted : 03/02/2016 2:10 pm
Topic starter

Yes I will definitely be checking the montage out when it hit the market. .new work flow and motion sequence and I will also check the zoom arc motion sequencer, drum machine, synthesizer out. .it may be just what I need to bring my motif classic up to the montage. .that's of course with out the super knob..but same concept and no need for a computer

Posted : 05/02/2016 3:56 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us