Clear all

Super Knob

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Lawrence
Trusted Member
Topic starter

How many parameters can the super knob control at the SAME time?

Posted : 31/01/2016 8:55 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I have not been ignoring your question. In fact, thank you for the question because I've been exploring for three days now and still don't have the definitive answer but here's what I've found....

SUPER KNOB
- I think first one has to understand the Super Knob as a concept. The Super Knob automatically can control the 8 Assignable Knobs.
The 8 Assignable Knobs can do different things for each of the 8 Performance Parts.

A simple main Volume knob is a kind of 'super knob' because without it you hear nothing and it can be controlling multiple signal sources, the Montage Super Knob can be a volume knob... And, perhaps, the simplest application would be to describe it with a volume example. The basic playable program in the Montage is a Performance with up to 8 Parts. Within each Part is the equivalent of a Motif XF Voice - Each Part is made from as many as 8 Elements. Let's just use two Parts, say, an Acoustic and an Electric Piano.

A simple application of the Super Knob would be to turn one Part down, while it faded another Part in. ((Unlike the regular volume knob - where all sound fades together, here we will turn up/down in one gesture.)) This is an example of two simultaneous operations... Increasing output of one Part while reducing the output of another. Say you put AS1 to control the volume of Part 1 and AS2 to control the volume of Part 2 - the Super Knob could simultaneous turn AS1 up and the AS2 down with a single gesture. The direction, range and curve of each output change can be determined in ways that begin to boggle the mind. Movement of the Super Knob can be manual, via an assigned Foot Control pedal, or fully automated or triggered as a one shot event. More than just a simple turn up/turn down sweep, the change is a motion, and customizable motion control is the underlying theme here within Montage.

Each Part, similar to the Motif, has 24 knob parameters that can immediately be applied to the selected Part. But unlike the Motif XF instead of just two Assignable Knobs per selected Part, there are 8 Assignable Knobs per Part. And for this reason their movement can be "ganged" together to the Super Knob.

Thinking about setting up motion and control in Montage .. It is very much like patching modules in a monstrous modular synthesizer. But instead you are using AWM2 samples and FM-X synth engines, both digital and accessible sound sources.

But what makes the Super Knob "super" is that you can assign responsibility to it for things you want to change, ...or not. Here's what I mean: you have 8 Assignable Knobs; each with the ability to be assigned within a Performance to control something per each Part. Assign Knob 1 could be assigned to multiple Destinations throughout the Performance - each a different thing for each Keyboard Controlled Part - so turning AS1 directly can radically change the nature of your sound...

There are a possible 8 Parts, each has 8 assignable knobs. All can be linked to the Super Knob. There maybe some theoretical limit (due to the bandwidth of the data stream). But a Part is limited to having 16 Destinations total per the controller matrix. The movement of all parameters can be accomplished by moving the Assignable knob directly or you can have the Super Knob move it for you. Each of the 8 Assignable Knobs can be associated with the movement of the Super Knob or left for direct realtime access only... You design that portion of it, as well. There are Parts you will play direct, there may be Parts that are triggered by an arp, a motion sequence, and/or an external input. Some Parts my simply lay "in wait" for you to transition to them... in your Performance, you decide how to use the available resources.

Each of the eight Parts has its own relationship with the eight Assignable Knobs and then you can associate that with the Super Knob... Or not. At anytime you can access the knob directly... Although it's recommended you not do both simultaneously 🙂

I guess to answer the question truthfully, I don't know yet about "how many" parameters, exactly. I run out of things to try before I bumped heads with any kind of error message telling me I shouldn't or can't apply another control. Each thing you do can be impacted by something else, so keeping track of your creation is very engaging. As you think of something, you can try it.

There is certainly a theoretical maximum, whether or not there is a hardware limit before that (and I would guess there will be) we'll have to wait until a proper reference manual is available.

You make the assignments and set the 'range of change' you require as you go (it is analogous to creating sounds by patching a modular analog synth) and setting minimum and maximum voltages for a movement. The degree to which you can be creative with these assignments, ranges and movement within those ranges is astounding. It's like each door opens another with infinite possibilities.

Posted : 03/02/2016 4:51 pm
 Jan

In XS/XF "Voice" the "Control Set" allows me to set AS1 or AS2 (or any other control source) to control as many as 6 parameters at once (each with element on/off checkbox except for common params).

1. Has this paradigm changed in a Montage "Part" or is it the same?
2. How does it relate to "But a Part is limited to having 16 Destinations total per the controller matrix."

Posted : 04/02/2016 12:25 am
Bad Mister

A PART can be assigned to 16 Destinations, 10 more than the XS/XF's Control Set.
And there are 8 Assignable Knobs per PART, 6 more than the XS/XF

Posted : 04/02/2016 2:50 am
Eminent Member

Bad Mister, you continously write about a performance consisting out of 8 Parts.. (you probably answered this somewhere else allready) ... But what about those other 8 parts?

I was under the assumption that a performance consisted out of 16 parts, and that you could assign ARP's to 8 of them, you could controll 8 of them by the keyboard and you could assign a motion sequence to 8 of them?

Now i am a bit confused....

So how do i controll the other 8 parts, if i can only controll 8 of them by the keyboard (asuming that ARPS also require keyboard input)

Posted : 04/02/2016 5:47 am
 Jan

That's an interesting question. If AS1 is assigned as follows:

Part 1: Cutoff
Part 2: Resonance
Part 9: Attack Time

When turning AS1 will parts 1, 2, 9 be affected at once, or just 1, 2?

Also

"A PART can be assigned to 16 Destinations, 10 more than the XS/XF's Control Set."

That's an incredible expansion!

Posted : 04/02/2016 7:32 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us