Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

M8X - Poly AT destinations shown on screen don't appear to match destinations based on bulk export data

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I haven't been able to reproduce the destination test displayed on screen for parts using Poly AT destinations using data from a bulk export of the same performance. Of a half dozen performances I checked none of them match.

Either I am doing the matching wrong or something is wrong with the data.

In the performance ‘Shipwrecked Piano’ both Parts 1 and 3 uses Poly AT and both parts display ‘Elem Pan’ as the destination.

The bulk export of that performance has these two relevant records:
------------------
F0 43 00 7F 1C 00 45 0D 10 00 09 00 00 01 00 03 – the ending ’00 01’ is the switch, and ’00 03’ is the destination value

F0 43 00 7F 1C 00 45 0D 12 00 09 00 00 01 00 03
------------------
The first line shows an address of ‘10 00 09 00’‘10’ indicating part 1; the second shows ’12 00 09 00’ indicating part 3.

The ’00 01’ parameter values are the ‘Set 1 Switch value with 1 indicating ‘On’ – meaning this destination is being used.

Notice that both lines show ’00 03’ for the ‘Set 1 Destination’ value. I used the Controller Box Destination table on page 194 of

the Data List doc as a lookup table and item ‘3’ is listed as ‘Insertion Effect A Parameter 3’.

Entry #61 in that same table has ‘Elem Pan’ as the destination which is exactly what the screen displays for parts 1 and 3 for After Touch

destinations.

Thus it appears the dump has a parameter value of 3 whereas the screen is using a parameter value of 61. Though obviously I
can't know what the screen code is really using.

It is my understanding that the 4 destinations on the ‘Edit Part -> Mod / Control -> After Touch’ screen are documented in the Data list on page 211 in the table with address: ‘1p 00 09 00 Key Controller Box’

And that the table detail is on page 234 that shows that same address.

In that table the first two 2 byte parameters are ‘Key Controller Set 1 Switch’ and ‘Key Controller Set 1 Destination’

None of the performances I have examined that have a part that uses Poly AT match the data found in the bulk dumps I am using.

I can’t figure out where the mismatch is coming from so I emailed support to see if they can figure out where the mismatch is.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is loading the dump back into the M8X to see what the screen shows then. I haven't tried to
send a bulk export so not sure how to do it. Has anyone reloaded a bulk export from a Montage or Modx before using MIDI-OX?

What changes do you need to make in the file?

Posted : 08/11/2023 3:19 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I've used bulk dumps to modify some parameters then send back to the instrument before on Montage classic. I think MIDI-OX is probably what I used as it's my primary MS Windows tool and I was using Windows more back then.

I think the PolyAT destinations might not be documented. So change the destination, look at the dump, write down the number (and destination you used) and create your own table or wait for documentation to catch up.

Posted : 08/11/2023 4:17 am
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I think the PolyAT destinations might not be documented.'

Based on what my testing just showed I think you may be right.

On that screen the dropdown only has 11 choices for an AWM2 part. One for 'pitch'
and 10 for Element parms.

And sending a value from 1 to 11 changes the destination in the same order as the dropdown shows
the choices.

An FM-X part has different drop-down choices and an AN-X part different still. I'll test, and post, tomorrow
what I find with some of those. Wouldn't be surprised if they each go in order from 1-n indicating they
all use their own little table of choices with duplicate numbers if the tables all go 1-n.

Posted : 08/11/2023 5:33 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Maybe you'll be lucky and the parameter selection order in the GUI will match the associated destination target-parameter value.

It's fairly common for new things not to be completely documented in the data list. When the MO version of Montage M comes out (in a year+ or so) there may be these details. None of this is very difficult to figure out, though. Just takes time.

Posted : 08/11/2023 5:01 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Maybe you'll be lucky and the parameter selection order in the GUI will match the associated destination target-parameter value.

You're three for three!

I was able to use 'F0 43 10 7F 1C 0D 10 00 09 02 00 03 F7' as the change command where '10 00 09 02'
designates the AT control destination parameter and '00 03' is a value in the range listed below.

The Data List doc has at least one, maybe three, missing Poly AT destination tables.

Poly AT is supported for AWM2, FM-X and AN-X part types but not drum.

Overall the destination values range from 01 - 2F but fall into three ranges: For a given part type using a value
outside the range for that part type will use 'Pitch' as the destination - Pitch is the first destination in each range

1. AWM2 - 01 - 0B
2. FM-X 0B - 1A
3. AN-X - 1B - 2F

The three ranges use consecutive values and do NOT overlap. However, NONE of those values map to 'Pitch' which is the first item on all three dropdowns.

Using ANY value outside the range for that part type will result in 'Pitch' being the destination. But I can't find a specific value that actually maps to 'Pitch'. So you could actually use '0' to get 'Pitch' for all three part types but I don't know if that is the expected way to get 'Pitch'.

NOTE FOR FM-X: '1A' is the value for 'OP Level' which is last in the dropdown but, oddly, is 3rd from last in the main Controller Destination table. In that table there are two other parms with higher row numbers
but in the dropdown those two parms come BEFORE the OP level parm.

That's the sort of thing where there could be the potential for their code to grab the wrong value.

Posted : 08/11/2023 7:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us