Mass assignment to Category

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Do assignments to Category have to be done one by one? Is there a method of assigning a number at the same time? For example, I have now collected up a total of 107 electric pianos in the 'All' Category - that's a lot one at a time ... thanks ...

Posted : 08/02/2017 4:18 pm
Bad Mister

Do assignments to Category have to be done one by one? Is there a method of assigning a number at the same time? For example, I have now collected up a total of 107 electric pianos in the 'All' Category - that's a lot one at a time ... thanks ...

??? There is no "'All' Category".
"All" simply means the Search screen lists all Programs no matter what Main or Sub Category they are assigned to... All means all, as in EVERY program.

The simple answer is, no. Somewhere in the concept and definition of categorizing is that it is done each-by-each, one by one, just how you would Program them and Name them... that's when you would select the Category and Sub Category for them. Now if you neither programmed them nor named them yourself, is how, I guess, you come up with the question, "Can I lump them all together and batch assign a Category?" Unfortunately, no, sorry.

The problem with accummulating 107 Electric Pianos is they are lumped together and no longer thought of as individually special. Take your time, play each one, give it both a Main and Sub Category. This will help you later, when you looking for a specific type of Electric Piano! If you just lump them all together, when you really need to search for one, you at least will have an idea what type of EP you have. Imagine a LIBRARY with no organization of the books, if you label them before you put them on the shelves, it's easier to find the one you need at a later date. (Yes, the LIBRARY analogy works perfectly here).
🙂

Posted : 10/02/2017 3:44 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello BM - I thought not, thank you, just wondered if there may have been a method akin to deleting a Library, say, where you can select which items to be deleted - would've been nice to select which items to assign to Category X from a 'No Assign' Library. Sigh! Montage is such a versatile instrument one starts to think it can do anything! ... Well, I know it can, just not in the way I'd like!

I have in the meantime been categorising one by one - just categorising at this stage. Takes a while, not least because Montage second-guesses me - every time I press 'Category Search' to select the next sound, for example, Montage switches the Main Bank back to 'All', but one gets into a routine. Once they are all categorised, I'll start on the tweaking, and at that stage re-naming that includes a 'type code' for my own use. As you aptly say, it is very like organising a library of books ...

Posted : 10/02/2017 8:28 am
Bad Mister
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us