Notifications
Clear all

Midi

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Ewen
Topic starter

I recently bought a montage 8 been doing some research into montage vs xg some of the control numbers are the same I know the sound won't be. When I try and convert how do I set the insertion effects and how do I set the drum filters. On a another not it was easyer to do this on the old motif using the editor wish yamaha would do the same for the montage series.

Posted : 29/11/2017 6:13 pm
Bad Mister

All MIDI Control Change numbers are the same. The MONTAGE does not use the NRPN like GM/XG devices do, this is because the GM/XG protocols do not require that a device store setting in user RAM, rather a setup Measure is used not just to select Bank and Program, but to apply all edits as Control Change and Sysex messages. The MONTAGE has User memory so it is unnecessary to use all the setup Measure info. You can simply store the complex edits in the MONTAGE Performance.

Since XG does not feature two Insert Effects on each of the 16 Parts, you are free to set them as you prefer.
The drums in XG are usually tuned and tweaked by Non Register Parameter Numbers, which allow File authors to detail things like tuning and editing individual drums within a drum kit - the MONTAGE allows you completely edit everything about every drum and store the edited Part in memory... so again, you are free to set them as you prefer... MONTAGE will ignore all Drum edit info targeting XG modules.

When attempting to playback an XG File with MONTAGE, in general, you want to start by using the Performance: “Multi/GM”
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Touch “Init” > “Multi/GM” > [ENTER]

You should limit your Part Category Searches to “Attribute” = Single

In many GM/XG Files because neither protocol requires EQ per Part, often programmers with use Filter Cutoff and Resonance to brighten sounds. Since the filters on MONTAGE are much steeper and quicker than your typical GM or XG module, you may find this type of programming... unfortunate, as it doesn’t always translate to the filters in each MONTAGE PART. You may find that a Cutoff (cc74) or Resonance (cc71) setting my cause the filters on the MONTAGE to howl, where on the GM/XG module the result is far less dramatic... In MONTAGE, not only does each Part have access to its own filters, each Waveform can have its own separate filter type, plus each PART has both a 3-band EQ pre the Insertion Effect block, and a 2-band EQ post the Insertion Effect block. You may find you have some tweaking to do but I’ve found the results always well worth the effort.

Suggestion: this time around learn to operate the synthesizer from the front panel. Last time you did everything with (Editor) software, this time dig in and learn to navigate the hardware... you’ll find that doing so will give a better understanding of the engine. I agree, Editors can make things quicker in some cases, but this hardware is unique enough to want to get your hands on it. Just my sugesstion in lieu of the non-existing Yamaha Editor.

Posted : 30/11/2017 1:14 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us