Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Midi and Montage

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

OK I connected my old Motif ES to my Montage to sound old drum patterns using Song mode. I would select drum parts on Montage, store the performance on the Montage & press play on the Motif to record the better sounding drum parts to my DAW to the audio tracks. I can control/play the parts as is, BUT when I press PLAY on the Motif the Montage parts change to different drum parts or a instrument when I already selected a specific drum part for the MIDI to play the parts. I recorded the MIDI to MIDI tracks on the DAW and tried playing the midi tracks back thru the tone engine of the Montage to audio tracks and again the parts change to other/different parts when I already set the parts to specific sounds/drums parts.
Why does the parts change?
I can't seem to lock the parts on the Montage when I set things up because of some MIDI setting on either the Motif or Montage.
I can however pick a software instrument track on the DAW & press play on the Motif ( same with Montage) and it plays but some of the piano notes are different so I have to drag the whole Kick drum or cymbols midi notes to the right keynote on the piano rolls DAW.
Since the piano rolls are synced perfectly using both YAMAHA keyboards it would save a lot of time and frustration using them together for now until I finish transferring my old work over, that way I can just use Montage and the DAW the rest of the way forward.
I was going to create the drum sections using the scenes & Pattern recorder on the Montage for my newer music to record on the DAW.

When I create or use a preset performance I have no problem recording midi to audio with the DAW.
When recording/controlling the DAW with the Montage using software instruments or midi/audio to tracks from Montage to the DAW no problem.

I created a lot of songs on Motif ES (mainly the drum sections to play my bass, guitar and keyboard parts to create songs) and all I'm trying to do is transfer the Midi thru the Montage to use its tone engine to record to the DAW.

Am I missing a setting on either keyboard to lock the Montage parts from changing when using the Motif as the Master and using the Montage as the slave. Midi OUT on Motif, Midi IN on Montage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I dragged on to long about this subject or used the wrong terms or worded things uncorrectly.
I'm rerecording some old music/stuff that is why I grabbed this Montage.
It's a very nice instrument and is greatly serving its purpose.

Happy New Year
Bad Mister
Jason
David
& everyone else.

Posted : 10/01/2021 2:46 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

BM is going to nail this one, but I'll give a swing.

In Master Mode on your ES - you can set each zone to transmit Bank (MSB/LSB) and PC. They show as "Bank(MIDI)" and "PC(MIDI)". Go ahead and set zones 1-4 to "off" for both of these.

1) [MASTER]
2) Press ELEMENT/PERF,PART/ZONE button ([1]-[4]) - can just press [1]
3) Press [F1] for "Trans"
I believe the 2nd page has the Bank & PC settings.

Posted : 10/01/2021 5:21 am
Topic starter

Ironically I have never used [Master] mode for anything. So I'm still pulling my hair out.:D if push comes to shove I'll just use those old midi recordings as is with the Motif to audio tracks on the DAW. The Motifs midi/audio was very decent for the drums that I did on it.
But I know there is a setting on the Motif like you explained "Jason" that way I can record the MIDI to the DAW and send it back to thru the Montages tone engine to record Montages audio. &/or sound the Motifs MIDI thru the Montage without the parts changing.

I'll be using the Montage the same way I did with the Motif the only differences are the way better sounds it has, the built in audio interface, the one USB cable for both midi/audio, etc.
I'll keep trying though.
Thanks for your response.

Posted : 10/01/2021 5:53 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

My mistake - I got hung up on the "using the Motif as the Master" part and glossed over the "Song Mode" part.

From song mode, press the [JOB] button.

Choose [F3] (Event Job). choose 03: Erase Event. Set TR (track) to "All". Set range to all measures/beats/clocks. Although range is likely going to be in front where these are located. Set event type to "PC NO". Execute job. Repeat, but set event type to "BANK" and execute. I'm not sure if there is a "PgmChange" event you can select which would take both out at the same time.

This will clear out the events from your song that would be telling Montage to switch sounds.

That's one way. Or:

[SONG] → [UTILITY] → [F3] SEQ → [SF2] FILTER

And filter out "PgmChange" from transmit. That'd probably be easier. It's more easily reversible.

It's been a while since I powered on the "ES" - so I'm just thumbing through https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/333989/motifese1.pdf

Posted : 10/01/2021 7:26 am
Topic starter

Thank you.

The [song]>[utility]>[f3]seq>[sf2]filter
This Did something for a couple of the songs.
The songs I used 1 track for on the Motif worked fine.

There's several other songs that I used more than 1 track for the drums (midi), those are the ones I'm having the problems with.
Let me go thru your instructions & hopefully this works out.
I'll come Back here if it dont.

I'll go thru the Song mode [job] next,

Thank you again. This seemed to change something, so this would have to be the ballpark of where I'm having this problem.
😀

Posted : 10/01/2021 8:22 am
Topic starter

Will initializing a new performance like a new
Init Normal (AWM2), or (FM-X),
Init Drum,
Multi/GM
Have any affect as well?
Would using a preset performance be ok?
What would be your suggestion to use out of these for transferring drum Midi from Motif thru Montage to DAW?

Thanks ??

Posted : 10/01/2021 8:36 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

On the Montage side you can turn off Bank Select and Program Change globally.

[UTILITY]
"Settings" -> "Advanced" menus
Parameters: "Bank Select" and "Pgm Change" set to OFF.

I use Bank/PC for various things - so I would tend to try to make the Motif ES not send rather than have Montage not receive. However, you have your choices. It may be easier to filter at Montage.

Or ...

Instead (again, still on Montage), you can load up a Performance of your choice and go through each Part, going to menu "Mod/Control" -> "Receive Sw" and turn off "Pgm Change" and "Bank Select" there. [STORE] the resulting Performance so you don't have to do that again. With this Performance, you can leave the global Bank/PC settings ON assuming what's tripping things up are Single-Part Performance messages (MSB/LSB/PC).

Posted : 10/01/2021 8:47 am
Topic starter

Gotcha.
Some drum kits are perfectly fine.
Like Real Drum kits 1 & 2.
For a trance song the Trance kit matches the kick and snare fine.

I'll also need to go thru these other drums kit parts to find what works best.
Im on the right track now.

One last question.
It's kinda off this subject though.

If I record the MIDI to DAW from the Motif.
It doesn't have anything to do with Montages arps.
On the DAW I would be able to fix, change, edit midi notes and play them back thru Montage without having to need the arp buttons "On" like ARP part or Arp Master for those drum parts from the PartEdit>Arpeggio>Common? Depending on what I store to a scene.
Or how many Scenes I use.
I could record a whole song to the Pattern recorder just using one or two scenes. turning the Arp On/Off switch wouldn't have an affect.
This doesn't affect midi to audio.

Some midi loops/samples I used from the DAW seemed to play thru the Montage accordingly.
This might be for a different thread.

So it seems to be working out now.
I hear you and what your saying.

Jason thanks a million.

Posted : 10/01/2021 9:49 am
Bad Mister

The easiest way to transfer a sequence from one MIDI device to another is to use the Standard MIDI File.

All MIDI sequencers can usually load the data straight away. You can take your Motif ES SONGS, and each by each, SAVE them as .mid Files

In the Motif ES go to SONG Mode
Press [FILE]
Press [F2] SAVE > set TYPE = SMF (Standard MIDI File)
You can Save your Song to a .mid File to a USB stick
If exporting Pattern you can Save each Section A-P as a separate .mid File.

These .mid files can be loaded directly to the MONTAGE sequencer... you can direct the Load to either a MONTAGE MIDI Song or to a MONTAGE Pattern Sequencer Scene.
Or, if you wish to deeply edit the data, you can simply load it into Cubase.
(Setup a MIDI Track aimed at the MONTAGE drop the .mid on that Track... Cubase can expand it to separate Tracks all assigned to the MONTAGE.

You can easily remove the Bank Select and Program Change data — this can be done either in Cubase or with the MONTAGE.

If you want to record the data in real time (more difficult) you must connect the ES OUT to the MONTAGE IN, and record to MIDI Song (linear)... making the ES master clock and the MONTAGE MIDI Sync = MIDI

Did You Know?
The MONTAGE can load the Motif ES Voices - you can Save your Motif ES data as a .W7E to a USB stick. (The .W7E file Type is an EDITOR File.
Open that File with the free (downloadable) Yamaha Motif XS Editor, and SAVE AS... a .X0E file (a Motif XS Editor file) which can be loaded to the MONTAGE for VOICES. Each Motif ES Voice will be converted as a Single Part MONTAGE Performance.

Posted : 11/01/2021 12:14 am
Topic starter

Thanks you Bad Mister,
Thanks again Jason;)

Posted : 11/01/2021 1:13 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us