Notifications
Clear all

Midi Possibilities Yamaha Montage and Arturia Keylab 61 MKII

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Omar
Topic starter

Is it possible to use my Arturia Keylab 61 Mk2 to control sounds in my Yamaha Montage 8 via midi Din cable?

I am trying to use it to control strings, while allowing my montage to play piano sounds... I would like to assign the Arturia to play just that part... Is this possible in a performance?

Posted : 26/01/2021 1:37 am
Bad Mister

The short answer is, Yes. [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > set MIDI I/O = MIDI (green). Connect a 5-pin MIDI cable from the Out of your external controller to In on the MONTAGE

Sorry, I don’t know the Arturia Keylab 61 Mk2 or it’s MIDI capability. So we can’t help you with that (how many channels can it transmit on simultaneously?)

If it transmits on more than one Channel simultaneously, you can use the MONTAGE in MIDI I/O Mode = Multi. Each MONTAGE Part is on a MIDI Channel that corresponds to its PART number. Part 1 = Ch1, Part 2 = Ch2, and so on through to Part 16 = Ch16.

Press [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced” > MIDI I/O Mode = Multi.

If however, it transmits on just one MIDI channel, you can set the “MIDI I/O Mode” = Single or Hybrid, and select a channel on which to communicate.

“MIDI I/O Mode” = Single = Allows you to use an external controller that only transmits on a single MIDI Channel to access all KBD CTRL Parts of the current Performance. As many as eight Parts, 1-8, can linked together for simultaneous play. The active (green) KBD CTRL icon denotes Parts linked to be played together from the MONTAGE keys. The MONTAGE becomes a sound module capable of sounding in response to a single input channel — all none KBD CTRL are not accessible.

“MIDI I/O Mode” = Hybrid = the same as Single, except the non-KBD Ctrl Parts are available on their correspondingly numbered MIDI Channel as individuals. This allows you to play the KBD CTRL linked Parts from one of your two keybed, while the other plays a Single program or the other non-linked are played from a sequencer.

Posted : 26/01/2021 7:10 am
 Omar
Topic starter

Thank you Bad Mister, based on what am finding in the manual for the Arturia it appears it may have the ability to communicate simultaneously to 16 channels with its various modes. I'll give it a shot, and follow the steps provided to set the montage to these settings.

Fingers crossed i'll figure it out.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Posted : 27/01/2021 1:40 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us