Clear all

Missing Question Mark...???

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
john
 john
Topic starter

While I name a new performance, .wav file, .mid., .song, etc. In one or more of the names I'd like to use a question mark (?). Although the lettering window shows to press for a question mark (?) and other characters (ie: # $ %, etc.) I can not find the question mark? Is this an over sight or am I missing something. Where's the ??? for use in a title?
Thank you...

Posted : 18/08/2018 6:41 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You'll notice there is not an asterisk either "*". Question marks and asterisks are wildcard characters in the FAT filesystem.

Slashes shouldn't be there either since these are directory. There are a few places to find valid characters in file systems. This is not an oversight - just conforming to specs on the filesystem.

Posted : 20/08/2018 2:05 am
Bad Mister

You will find both the "?" and the "*" by hitting the 'key' located in the lower left corner of the main NAME "qwerty" that appears "123@" - that "123@" key is to denote the first other screen of characters you are missing - there you will find numbers 0-9, !, ?, @, ~, comma, up arrow, quote, vertical line, #, $, &, %, ?, , /, +, period, -, =, *.

Then on the upper left of that screen you'll see "()"" which opens yet another page with (, ), {, }, , [, ], double quote, and the semi-colon.

You can write a book!

Hope that helps!

Attached files

Posted : 20/08/2018 5:08 am
john
 john
Topic starter

Bad Mister....

Ah Ha, a good answer. Much appreciated. BUT, I have done everything you pointed out the same as I was doing before and I'm missing the ?... I attached a photo of my screen (sorry, lousy picture) and it shows I'm missing the character, (I'm running OS 2.5) In fact I've updated the firmware from 1.5 to 2.0 to 2.5 and in each case the ? is missing. I'm now wondering if there may be another solution or at least a reason why it is missing. (You can see in your pictures the ? and in my picture it is missing from the same exact spot.)

Jason....
I agree with you also, that is the way the FAT system does things. But I still don't know why everyone has a ? and I do not. Seems trivial, but (as said) I would like to use the ? every now and then when creating a song, or performance, etc.

Posted : 21/08/2018 2:28 pm
Bad Mister

I contend it is NOT missing. Whatever you are attempting to name, the ? Is an illegal character.
If you are naming a Performance, the character will appear.
If you are naming or renaming a SONG (.mid) certain characters are, indeed, illegal when naming certain types of files.

So there is nothing amiss with your MONTAGE.

What are you renaming?
Try naming a Performance...

Let us know.

Posted : 21/08/2018 4:02 pm
john
 john
Topic starter

Bad Mister:

So, I did as you suggested and renamed a performance. Yes, indeed the ? shows up. You can even create a new performance and the ? will show. The file I was trying to rename was a new audio (.wav) recording and the ? won't show or work. I believed you, I just wondered why it will work for one and not the other. But it now makes sense that certain TYPES of files have characters that the OS won't allow. Thank you...(At least I know I'm not totally crazy...lol..)

Posted : 22/08/2018 4:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Performance names are not files, but fields inside a binary file (x7u, x7l, x7a) or inside memory (not a file system). Anything that names a file that ends up or can end up on a USB stick will conform to the FAT filesystem rules.

There are many examples of both types (files vs. fields). Lack of the ? is one way to know -- although this is not necessary to know except to satisfy curiosity.

Point being is that it's not the type of file. All files will disallow wildcard, redirection, quote, and other invalid characters. Non-files are what can use the characters otherwise restricted from file names.

Posted : 22/08/2018 10:12 pm
john
 john
Topic starter

Jason...
Thank you. Makes more sense to me now knowing a performance name isn't a file but rather several fields inside a (binary) file. I appreciate the explanation as I now can wrap my head around it.

Posted : 24/08/2018 1:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us