Notifications
Clear all

MODX+

99 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 Paul

[quotePost id=118185]

The docs overall are "better" since new features are included but the Pattern Sequencer is strangely not part of the MODX+ Reference Manual. The Owner's Manual claims the reference manual has the Pattern Sequencer docs -- but it's just not there.

Pattern Mode is covered in its entirety in the Reference Manual, as promised — at least in the version I downloaded, pages 68-93[/quotePost]

Hi Phil --

Congratulations on your retirement! Thank you for all of your help. We all have learned so much from you, it's hard to express enough gratitude.

Enjoy your time -- pj

Posted : 01/09/2022 4:24 pm
Reputable Member

[quotePost id=118185]

The docs overall are "better" since new features are included but the Pattern Sequencer is strangely not part of the MODX+ Reference Manual. The Owner's Manual claims the reference manual has the Pattern Sequencer docs -- but it's just not there.

Pattern Mode is covered in its entirety in the Reference Manual, as promised — at least in the version I downloaded, pages 68-93[/quotePost]

Earth to Bad Mister...welcome back.

Retirement has nothing to do with refraining from participating in a forum you love your best.

Posted : 01/09/2022 6:18 pm

[quotePost id=118193]Regarding the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3X7kHhfSMk video that Jason posted above, does anyone know what Performances were used in that particular promo video?

I'm thinking that likely only someone from Yamaha will be able to answer this question and that they could even be new Performances specific to the MODX+ ..!?[/quotePost]

My guess would be that this is a produced track and not a specific performance.

I'm quite certain it's a Dom Sigalas production anyway as it has his kind of signature vibe to it.

Posted : 02/09/2022 6:02 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=118217]

I'm quite certain it's a Dom Sigalas production anyway as it has his kind of signature vibe to it.[/quotePost]

Yeah it did kinda sound a bit produced. Either that or maybe several different Performances were used, but yeah it could be Dom.
I hear 2 or 3 sounds that that I like, which are probably in some preset Performances, but it would be nice to find out which Performances & set them as Favorites, just to have for reference in case I want to use any one of the sounds for something...

Posted : 02/09/2022 6:52 pm

[quotePost id=118220][quotePost id=118217]

I'm quite certain it's a Dom Sigalas production anyway as it has his kind of signature vibe to it.[/quotePost]

Yeah it did kinda sound a bit produced. Either that or maybe several different Performances were used, but yeah it could be Dom.
I hear 2 or 3 sounds that that I like, which are probably in some preset Performances, but it would be nice to find out which Performances & set them as Favorites, just to have for reference in case I want to use any one of the sounds for something...[/quotePost]

We can always hope that Dom (in case it's actually him in the video) can record a breakdown of the performances used in a YT video on his channel like he's done previously with some of the performances he created to be included in new OS updates (like for example the Stranger Dreams performance).

Posted : 02/09/2022 8:51 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

I sense a "hoarding" mentality regards these new Performances.

The truth is, there are many "great" performances from the MODX and while you are in a rush to find and Store them all, "for a later date", lest you forget... that date never comes, and meanwhile you have used up all your memory.

All those Performances are already in your MODX, in non-volatile factory memory. I advise just making a mental note (or paper note) of where they are, and leave them there.

Use your user memory to save your work only, because it isn't limitless. Backup and houseclean often.

A while back, there was a MODX User who got in a real fix by saving every Factory and Library Performance "he liked" to his User Memory. Not surprisingly he ran out of space very fast, and could not, would not untangle the mess. Instead he came here demanding solutions. 🙁

Seriously.... leave Factory/Library Performances where they are, unless you make significant modifications and use them in a personal project.

And ALWAYS Rename them to something new and meaningful to you e.g. "BillyBlogSong3"

🙂

Posted : 02/09/2022 11:01 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=118229]I sense a "hoarding" mentality regards these new Performances.

The truth is, there are many "great" performances from the MODX and while you are in a rush to find and Store them all, "for a later date", lest you forget... that date never comes, and meanwhile you have used up all your memory.

All those Performances are already in your MODX, in non-volatile factory memory. I advise just making a mental note (or paper note) of where they are, and leave them there.

Use your user memory to save your work only, because it isn't limitless. Backup and houseclean often.

A while back, there was a MODX User who got in a real fix by saving every Factory and Library Performance "he liked" to his User Memory. Not surprisingly he ran out of space very fast, and could not, would not untangle the mess. Instead he came here demanding solutions. 🙁

Seriously.... leave Factory/Library Performances where they are, unless you make significant modifications and use them in a personal project.

And ALWAYS Rename them to something new and meaningful to you e.g. "BillyBlogSong3"

:)[/quotePost]

I respectfully disagree with some of what you said, except for a few things you advised on that I have already been doing for the past 3+ years. You may have a different workflow from me. Everyone may have their own way to doing things that works for them, and that's ok.

I sometimes use the Set 'Favorites' option on my Montage when I come across a 'Preset' Performance that I like or if there is a particular sound (PART) that I like and will probably use in an upcoming project. I've made great use of various particular 'Favorites' Performances I had previously set, whereby I needed a sound for a particular song, remembered that I might have something saved in Favorites that would work, and it has come in very handy not to have to go through 100's of Performances to re-find the sound (PART) that I was looking for.

I don't use any Preset Performances 'as is', because there is always a few things that I need to tweak, so I make the modifications (which are usually quite significant) and I then save as a new Performance. All of my work that I do is for personal projects, and since either most of the waveforms are Presets &/or the PARTs are FM-X, it takes very little User Memory to save just the Performance itself. And I always give new Performances that I tweak/create/save a unique name using a naming convention that works for me.

To me, asking people in a forum whether they might know what preset Performance was used in a video is not hoarding! And it's just a smart workflow IMO to make use of the 'Favorites' functionality the way Yamaha designed it to be used on the Montage.

Posted : 04/09/2022 4:37 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

@Darryl.... I seem to have upset you... apologies.

My post wasn't aimed at you, I know you have contributed a lot over the years and have no doubt you know what you are doing.

My post was aimed at "new to MODX+" users... general advice, having witnessed previous escapades on this forum, with over-eager "storing" of factory performances.

That said, I have read back through this thread, and for the life of me cannot figure out what "triggered" my post.... unless I had read it in another thread, or possibly forum. That's my fault, I must have been tired. 🙂

Posted : 05/09/2022 8:20 am
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=118255]@Darryl.... I seem to have upset you... apologies.

My post wasn't aimed at you, I know you have contributed a lot over the years and have no doubt you know what you are doing.

That said, I have read back through this thread, and for the life of me cannot figure out what "triggered" my post.... unless I had read it in another thread, or possibly forum. That's my fault, I must have been tired. 🙂 [/quotePost]

No worries @Antony 😉

Posted : 05/09/2022 6:03 pm
Page 7 / 7
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us