Clear all

MONTAGE 6 AND MONTAGE 7 BUYER RECOMMENDATION

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Tho
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Since you guys bought MONTAGE 6 AND MONTAGE 7 already, which one would you recommend to buy?

I am going to buy me one during today but I really consider to the key ranges and key actions between Montage 6 and Montage 7, If i buy Montage 6 so i can save $500 dollars...because i thought that Montage 6 is disadvantage for the live play cause you have to use the Octave button a lot for your play So I don't know which one is the best.

Please advise !

Thank you
Tho

Posted : 05/09/2016 1:41 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Tho - I'm no expert, not even a pro, but I've dabbled in synths for 30 years, and there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the 76 key keyboard is well worth the extra money. You don't keep running out of room! I am also a fan of the synth key feel, and prefer it to piano weighting, so don't go for the 88 key models on that basis.

Posted : 05/09/2016 1:59 pm
 Tho
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks Rob,
So I go with 76 keys as your recommendation I guess...I don't want to feel regret when I buy the 61keys even though I can save $500 dollars, But I dont want 88keys because the weight to carry out for live show.

Thanks

Posted : 05/09/2016 2:15 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm coming from a 61 note keyboard - the MO6 and had the same set of tradeoffs to ponder. The fully weighted 88 keybed is very responsive and "light" relative to the MOXF8's - I greatly prefer the Montage8 feel over just about anything.

However, as a gigging musician, the weight of the Montage8 was what forced me into deciding between the 6 and the 7. Not to mention, I'm a 2nd key player in the band and therefore have limited space that was previously occupied by a 61-key which would sometimes be a squeeze - so size was a secondary reason to decide against the 88-key.

Doing the splits for my tunes and transferring the tunes to Montage - it would still be nice to have the extra keys.

For that reason - extra keys - I decided to get the Montage 7. I do like the keybed as a synth action type (or more accurately, just not fully weighted). The weight of the Montage 7 is still pushing it and my shoulder is still sore from testing out the soft case (lightest case with reasonable protection) I purchased for it. That's after a week.

If portability is king - the 61 is very capable. And, for me (YMMV), I only used the octave key in a very short list of songs. Usually to switch between songs in the intro/outro - so the button was pressed twice in a tune - or to switch between instruments I wanted lots of range for each and I would switch within the song back/forth between say pedal steel and fiddle. At times use of the octave key has advantages since you can keep the notes in a more correct position on the keyboard relative to middle C - some voices I can get thrown off.

However, my thought process was that relative to the MO6 - since the Montage has 4 more (twice the) slots for sounds - and even more times individual elements per performance - I would use all the extra keys I could get. I figured tunes I had to use the octave key - some I could use the extra octave of the 76 key to fit one more range of a sound and stop using the octave trick. Changing the octave on the MO6 was "SSS-like" so I was able to hold sounds in the other octave across the switch - so this would carry forward as well.

$500 is around 10% - so you may find a deal somewhere to help soften the financial difference.

Posted : 05/09/2016 7:56 pm
 Tho
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you Jason... You guys have really nice advices here... I learn a lot from you ... I am new in synth keyboard , I need to learn from your about this Montage a lot.... I found a deal from 8th Music they have 18% off on this Labor Day so I did order the Montage 7 today... I hope that is what I dream about ...
Thank you all
Hope you have a great time

Posted : 05/09/2016 10:19 pm
 Dave

I have a 7 and really wish I had a 6. It is still a beast to move around. They are all awesome machines but I don't do enough with the extra keys to really make it worthwhile to me.

-Dave

Posted : 06/09/2016 1:39 am
 Jan
Eminent Member

I have an 8 and really wish I had a 9 πŸ™‚
Yes it's a beast to move around. 55 kg including flight-case.
88 keys is only 2 x 44 keys or 3 x 29.keys with pitches shift +24 +12 -12 -24.
So I solved it by stacking an extra 88 midi keyboard connected to the Montage.
See also: version 1.2 second part.

Otherwise perhaps the Yamaha Reface is something for you?

Posted : 06/09/2016 6:01 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Looks like v1.20 fixes the green bar on an external USB screen with optional purchase of the black gaffing tape accessory.

Posted : 06/09/2016 3:24 pm
 Tho
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Can we hook up an External Screen such as an ipad? and how?

Posted : 06/09/2016 4:54 pm
manolo

if i were you, neither the 6 nor the 7. breaking news is that roland is going to release eight (!) jupiter-8Β΄s. yes, 8, not 80. this is from gearslutz today:

Aside from what’s mentioned there’s official word that besides Boutique ACB versions Roland is launching a limited run of 1 to 1 recreations. Limited run of 909 units of a tr 909, 303 units of the tb303 and 8 units of the Jupiter 8 and, 808 units of the tr808. I can’t wait. Saw this on my feed earlier. Pre-order already in.

reminds me of the five or so yamaha vp-1Β΄s, one of them owned by l.a.-based german film composer reinhold heil.

Posted : 06/09/2016 9:19 pm
Bernd

manolo wrote:

if i were you, neither the 6 nor the 7. breaking news is that roland is going to release eight (!) jupiter-8Β΄s. yes, 8, not 80. this is from gearslutz today:

Aside from what’s mentioned there’s official word that besides Boutique ACB versions Roland is launching a limited run of 1 to 1 recreations. Limited run of 909 units of a tr 909, 303 units of the tb303 and 8 units of the Jupiter 8 and, 808 units of the tr808. I can’t wait. Saw this on my feed earlier. Pre-order already in.

reminds me of the five or so yamaha vp-1Β΄s, one of them owned by l.a.-based german film composer reinhold heil.

Sup, Sock Puppet?

Posted : 11/09/2016 12:02 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us