Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage 6/7 vs Montage 8 keyboard.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Can anyone who has played a Montage 6 or 7 with the FSX keybed AND played a Montage 8 with the BHE keybed tell me the difference in key down weight, which is 'lighter'? I'm talking the pure mechanics of the key action not the pressure sensitivity or velocity.

I'm coming from a syth background more than piano so my fingers aren't as strong (and I'm betting a good deal older) than demo players I've seen on Y'AllToob. I've played the Roland FA's and the Fantom 8, good sound but the keys seemed to take inordinate pressure to get them moving, kind of kludgy.

Or it's just me reminiscing on my trusty QS7, easy to play weighted action.

Comments appreciated, thanks.

Posted : 31/10/2021 4:53 am
Member Admin

If you're coming from a synth keyboard, don't even consider the 8. It's hard work!

The 6 and 7 are like superior synth keyboards. GOOD!

Posted : 01/11/2021 8:12 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

As a comparison I see say the keybed of a MOX(F)8 to be much more sluggish than the Montage 8. I do have a Fantom and find that keybed slightly less responsive than the Montage 8. I come from "synth style" keybeds and found, for me, the Montage 8 to be the most responsive of the weighted keybeds at the time it came out. Since the S90 - I've thought that Yamaha had the "fastest" 88-key controllers for my particular playing style. This is as I compared against Roland, Korg, Kurzweil, Casio, and Kawai keyboards/workstations/stage pianos. I've had very little time on the CP88 but found that keybed -- even with the older firmware -- was perhaps "better" for me in some respects.

That said - I would hope my opinion doesn't really matter in the end. It shouldn't. You've got to try these out (to the extent that you can) and try to eliminate as many variables as possible such as competing noise in the room - sound reinforcement (monitor speakers) - stand/desk/etc. surface the keyboard is on (needs to be sturdy) and so on.

Posted : 01/11/2021 6:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us