Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MONTAGE Firmware 1.60

24 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
Michele

I'm too young with my my brand new Montage to judge, anyway it was pleasant to buy it on September 4, 2017 and after few days the firmware was updated.

Posted : 08/09/2017 2:29 pm
Bad Mister
Topic starter

Mitchell wrote:

Different USB fixed the issue. I will take a look at the new Super Knob options. My FC7 Pedal comes in about a week, so I want to set up some of my own patches / performances. I have been getting a bit lost on super knob common and part assignments...., but I am only a few hours into this. Seems when I set up new performances using say the drums... and laying in a few other voices.... the Super Knob "preprogramming" helps me out... but not sure exactly what I am getting and why..... not sure if the programmers put those assignment on null parts to give us a head start? or is just inherited from where they left off performance editing...? Anyway having a blast.... I have to wait till the weekend to menu dive....with the new options. See if it helps burn a few brain cells.

Mastering Montage: The Super Knob The series of articles has already been updated to reflect the new firmware.

Posted : 08/09/2017 2:50 pm
Eminent Member

You guys are just awesome...., just saw that... will be going thru it this weekend.

Which attribute to assign for adjusting pulse width of a basic square wave?

I am such a newbie but starting from the bottom up is what I need to understand how the common and individual parts are assigned. Mind Blowing....I am mimicking an ol Arp Odessy to keep me interested in the basic square wave, and saw tooth starter patches...., I used to get those two oscillators sounding pretty good....but now I will have an FC7 plus it seems a million other oscillators to boot.

I am really enjoying the streamlined workflow..... I got the Cubase/Elements Trial working for me for a few different workflows... so much to explore... but I can get it to work with templates (pretty amazing). The one cord setup is so easy.

I also have been just recording to usb...., that works great... to explore patches, and vocals with no fuss at all...., the only cords I have to mess with is if I plug in the MO6 or Mike into the inputs. Thx Mr Mister....and team!

Posted : 08/09/2017 6:19 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's not an attribute to adjust the duty cycle of a square wave.

You'll have to approximate the sound with knobs you have available. Search for PWM threads - there are some examples that come "close" to the character. However, not full-fledged.

EDIT: I had some suggestions which were "new" approaches but upon further thought - would not work and only have a different phase for each note played which is not modulation in the sense of analog synths which modulate the sound in real-time (including past = sustained notes).

There is no "basic" square wave in the sense that Montage relates to anything as a square wave. Montage relates to samples (which can be "anything" - but not manipulated as fundamental wave shapes) or as FM - which can build a square-ish waveform but does not relate to the result as a square. You'll have to jab at this square-ish wave shape with other shapes and effects to try to coax what you want (in FM-X) or take samples and see what parameters which are available can help.

For AWM2 I'm not sure much can be done other than recording square waves of different duty cycles (up to 64) and then using motion control to volume switch each element in a round-robin manner. I haven't tried this - know the Montage doesn't have the samples in presets - but broader, haven't tried something like this and still do not have the keyboard online to test what limits there may be to switch elements in and out across 8 PARTs. AWM2 I would think would be generally more difficult -- except for just recording the PWM sweep static and playing that back without much control over the sweep speed/etc.

Posted : 08/09/2017 8:07 pm
Bad Mister
Topic starter

Mitchell wrote:

You guys are just awesome...., just saw that... will be going thru it this weekend.

Which attribute to assign for adjusting pulse width of a basic square wave?

I am such a newbie but starting from the bottom up is what I need to understand how the common and individual parts are assigned. Mind Blowing....I am mimicking an ol Arp Odessy to keep me interested in the basic square wave, and saw tooth starter patches...., I used to get those two oscillators sounding pretty good....but now I will have an FC7 plus it seems a million other oscillators to boot.

I am really enjoying the streamlined workflow..... I got the Cubase/Elements Trial working for me for a few different workflows... so much to explore... but I can get it to work with templates (pretty amazing). The one cord setup is so easy.

I also have been just recording to usb...., that works great... to explore patches, and vocals with no fuss at all...., the only cords I have to mess with is if I plug in the MO6 or Mike into the inputs. Thx Mr Mister....and team!

PWM Discussion:
https://yamahasynth.com/forum/fm-x-tutorial-on-complex-patches#reply-23680

Posted : 08/09/2017 8:39 pm
Eminent Member

Thx for the comprehensive response...FM is its own universe, yet to be explored (by me)...so I let go of previous assumptions.... and will let this thing do what it does best, as I play with the various parameters. I will work with the simple two FM patches that are in the demos as they work perfect for learning how the assignments work and how to pull in the motion sequencer.

Posted : 08/09/2017 10:06 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

Tyron wrote:
I usually have the Montage channel set to 1 (instead of ANY) as that allows for 'chord pads' use in Cubase . I am not sure why it works but it does for my needs so I've stuck with it.

The midi protocol on the Montage is behaving unusually since the update and 'Chordpads' is not working again can anyone recommend a work around / fix ?

I just updated to 1.60.1 (the Montage reports it's actually 1.60.1), and the Cubase Chord Pads are still working fine for me.

I have my Montage set to MIDI Multi, which allows me to record chords from the Chord Pads by triggering them with my left hand while also playing a lead instrument with my right hand. This thread has information about how to do it.

Posted : 09/09/2017 1:48 am
 Imro

After several try's I can't seem the montage to update to version 1.60 it keeps saying,
NG which I suppose means "No Good", It then ask to press dec / Inc to retry.

Ive download the file 3 times , format the usb which I used for previous update's nothing.
The site looks different from where I first got the updates from.

Posted : 10/09/2017 1:12 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sometime in the past few months Yamaha changed the US site and other geos to match more what the UK and other sites looked like back a while ago. Personally, I liked the previous site where I could more quickly arrive at the product (Montage) page starting with download.yamaha.com. But this is probably progress for the rest of the world who use clicks more than the QWERTY keyboard.

What I'm saying is that the site change in terms of look and feel should not be alarming.

My advice would be to use a different USB stick - preferably one on the compatible list. Problems with updates usually boil down to the media. Also make sure the stick is plugged in direct to the port without any hub(s) between.

Posted : 10/09/2017 2:19 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us