Clear all

Montage Waveform/Sample management - clarification

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

1. Montage doesn't seem to be managing waveforms as expected. I thought that if I were to delete a Performance in the User area, that any waveform/samples associated with that Performance, and only that Performance, would automatically be deleted?

I'm in the process of cleaning up my XF All file import. I've gone through the process of deleting a Performance three times and each time I have to go into the Waveform folder to delete the waveform manually; even after I delete all Performances dependent on that waveform. Am I missing something? First I go into Utility>Contents>Data Utility>Performance folder and delete the Performance. After which, I go into Data Utility>Waveform Folder and I still see the waveform that should have been deleted but it isn't. So I deleted it manually.

2. Is there a way on Montage to see dependent Performances from the Waveform view? On XF, I can go to Utility>Flash tab and scroll though the samples on the Flash boards and see which Voices are using that sample, - anything equivalent on Montage?

Thank you,
G

Posted : 30/05/2016 1:26 pm
Bad Mister

1. Montage doesn't seem to be managing waveforms as expected. I thought that if I were to delete a Performance in the User area, that any waveform/samples associated with that Performance, and only that Performance, would automatically be deleted?

Montage is quite different from Motif XF, true. But in how it manages this, it is exactly like the XF. In the XF deleting a Voice does not delete the Waveform, for the very good reason that another Voice could be using that very Waveform. So Voices can be overwritten without disturbing the Waveforms and Samples. The whole architecture is designed to avoid that very thing. Similarly, in Montage, Performances can be removed (deleted) without affecting the Waveforms and Samples. Not sure why you were expecting different. This is exactly parallel on the Montage.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my XF All file import. I've gone through the process of deleting a Performance three times and each time I have to go into the Waveform folder to delete the waveform manually; even after I delete all Performances dependent on that waveform. Am I missing something? First I go into Utility>Contents>Data Utility>Performance folder and delete the Performance. After which, I go into Data Utility>Waveform Folder and I still see the waveform that should have been deleted but it isn't. So I deleted it manually.

As stated, Performances when deleted will not remove the Waveform and Sample data ... Because Waveform and Samples can be used in multiple programs. If you manually delete the User Waveform, then all programs that use it will lose their Oscillator source data.

Where Montage is very different from XF: The programs that use the data are also installed with the Library, so that unlike the XF, there will NEVER be a time when the Waveforms and Samples will be in place but the program data that uses it is not. A Library includes the Performances and the Waveforms and Samples that make them work. We assume you are in the process of preparing data to make a Montage Library.

2. Is there a way on Montage to see dependent Performances from the Waveform view? On XF, I can go to Utility>Flash tab and scroll though the samples on the Flash boards and see which Voices are using that sample, - anything equivalent on Montage?

No, there is no shortcut to see what data is used by which program. Short of going into Part Edit and viewing the oscillator assignment at the Element.

If a program (Performance) requires custom data, when you select to "keep" that Performance, Montage will automatically make sure the Waveform and Samples are included. You only need to select the Performance program by name. Montage does all the heavy lifting. If multiple selections use the same data, Montage automatically sorts that out and optimizes the data in the .X7L file it creates.

Naturally deleting a program, does not delete the Waveform and Sample data. Never has.

Once you have created the Library file, then you can *install* the data to the Library area of the Montage by Loading it. Only a .X7L file installs data to your Library area!

When you load a .X3A, . X3V, .X3E, or .X7U file, the data goes to the Montage's internal USER memory.
Only a .X7L file can write data to your Library memory area.

Each Library can contain as many as 640 Performances, this includes any audio data (Waveforms and Samples) that make them play; it can also include 128 Live Sets, user tunings, custom Motion Sequences, etc., etc. Montage is able to place the Waveforms and Samples into the Flash memory and keep the data that uses it together in the Read Only area that is referred to as a Library. A Library can, but does not have to include Waveforms and Samples. It's any sounds you want to have access to at all times!

Posted : 31/05/2016 9:24 am
Eminent Member

One simple question: what is the easiest way to merge one performance of a Library file (and included "personal" audio data - Waveforms and Samples) with another Library file (obviously using the "User Area)"? thank you

Posted : 31/05/2016 11:33 am
Bad Mister

One simple question: what is the easiest way to merge one performance of a Library file (and included "personal" audio data - Waveforms and Samples) with another Library file?

Obviously, using the "User Area"
(you give us not enough information for the answer you really want)

Since both files are already Library Files we assume you have installed them
If not, Install the LIBRARY File to the Library area

Load the second File to the USER memory (Unless it is already installed, then simply Import the data, as follows):
Use the "IMPORT LIBRARY" function in UTILITY to Import Performances from the installed Library to USER memory.
This Import Library functions lets you move selected data from the Read Only Library area into USER where you can work with it.

And ultimately create a NEW LIBRARY.

Posted : 31/05/2016 12:45 pm
Eminent Member

Thanks for the answer: to simplify here is an example.
I 've installed library 1 that contains 1 performance (test1) with 1 part - 1 AWM2 element with Waveform Mysynth1 (es. 2 Keybanks)
Then I 've installed library 2 that contains 1 performance (test2) with 1 part - 1 AWM2 element with Waveform Mysynth2 (es. 5 Keybanks)

I want to create a new library that contains the two performances (test1 and test2) and related Waveform and Keybanks.
Of course after having created this new library would like to erase library 1 and library 2 have only the new library 3
It 'a useful method to overcome the limit of maximum 8 contemporary libraries and have a growing 😀 library
Thank you

Posted : 31/05/2016 2:43 pm
Eminent Member

In the posted example, after loading of library3 and deleting library 1 and 2, i will find the correct waveform in performance test 1 and 2 of library 3 ?

Posted : 02/06/2016 7:26 am
Bad Mister

Is that a question or is this what you have done?

Posted : 06/06/2016 9:31 pm
david
Reputable Member

I think he answered his own question.

Posted : 07/06/2016 1:30 am
Eminent Member

No, is a question:D
My montage will arrive in a few days ( I live in Italy) and I'm preparing some of my samples libraries in x3v format, using the software awave studio.
Later through montage I will create libraries ( .X7L file).
Thank you,

Posted : 07/06/2016 11:26 am
Bad Mister

They may work, you will have to try when you get your Montage.

Posted : 09/06/2016 1:07 pm

I tried to load a .X3A file from my good old Motif XF. The result was, that a lot of waveforms were missing or incomplete. In some of my samples, the loop functions was even disabled.
Then I tried to load the original Yamaha "InspirationInAFlash1.X3A". The result was about the same.
My conclusion is, that the X3A Import function of Montage is not working correctly at the Moment, if there are waveforms included. I hope, Yamaha will fix this issue soon.

Posted : 09/06/2016 2:24 pm
Eminent Member

Thomas wrote:

I tried to load a .X3A file from my good old Motif XF. The result was, that a lot of waveforms were missing or incomplete. In some of my samples, the loop functions was even disabled. Then I tried to load the original Yamaha "InspirationInAFlash1.X3A". The result was about the same.
My conclusion is, that the X3A Import function of Montage is not working correctly at the Moment, if there are waveforms included. I hope, Yamaha will fix this issue soon.

I hope it is not true: in this regard , there is an official position of Yamaha ?

Posted : 10/06/2016 9:19 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us