Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage with ANx as good as my Oberheim?

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

One synth type I've not had much of are true analogs. I once had a Moog forget the model and then the Arturia Brute for a while. As I best recall it's nothing like the Oberheim OB-X8. So I guess this is my third taste of true analog. I had the AN1x but that's not actually the real deal. Long story shot it arrived today in desktop module form and once you've heard this I'm almost sure no simulator AN is going to come close. So don't get one if you are waiting for the Montage AN.

The OB-X8 controlled by the Osmose is simply ridiculous. Just the touch response alone is worth the price of admission. Also don't go get one because you will never want to go back. You have been warned. Just get your Montage ANx and do not proceed any further. I will instantly attempt to wiggle and apply finger envelopes to each individual key and probably get mad when nothing happens. I'm preparing to be disappointed in that regard but at least I know what to expect. There is so much fantastic gear all around us right now. My ears are like a 4 year old stuck in a candy store with no adults to be found. Can't wait to see what Yamaha can do to top it.

If these big & new & comeback players are in a cage match it's an all out blood sport. Roland, Oberheim, Expressive E/Haken, Nord, Korg, Waldorf and others all slugging it out and Yamaha's not even yet in the ring but they are putting on the gloves. It's like a video game where each participant has a special move that "no can defense!". I've recently purchased four or five brands I've never owned before in Hammond, Waldorf, Oberheim and Expressive E and before the Fantom never had a Roland. I was seriously nothing but Yamaha for like 20 years. I had a few Korgs here and there. Still never bought a Nord because they always seems to expensive. Maybe had a Casio when I was a kid. I think that's all of the brands I have an experience with. So glad the Oberheim was available in a module and glad I tried it. I heard all kinds of 80 classics and ELO sounds etc.

What to sell next to make space? Probably the Fantom to be replaced by the Montage2 and SKpro and maybe even the YC73 since I typically don't keep gear forever anyway I just trade up. Also selling the CP1.

Posted : 22/07/2023 5:42 am
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

There's a comparison if it will not remove it but you can search for it. I got the X8 for the extreme authenticity (A modern tribute to music history) but looks like others can do a lot more stuff. Pull more rabbits out of the hat but ultimately the sound is the bottom line and you do pay more for less it seems. The minimalist approach I'm thinking because too many options for me I get confused or go down rabbit holes or end up wasting time, etc.

I'm not sure what's inside that X8 but it's mind blowing the way it compliments itself internally. True that coming thru a YT video there's no way to hear nuance and texture you can really only pick up on the core sound and the range.

The best value might by far be the Summit with 16 voices. I would only get the Peak since I don't need more keys. Someone commented the Summit doesn't support MPE was the only reason they didn't get it. Someone on SW said the keys were really bad but the reverb was the best they've ever heard on a board. For the extreme value it makes sense the keys might not be premium.

The spoiler is always that once you've heard the best sound available nothing else will do no matter how many tweaks you can make. You definitely pay a premium price for the OBs. You're also paying for history, legacy, nostalgia and the name. Yamaha and the DX7 killed the Oberheim so it's time they get resurrected and deserve a encore. That's why I tell people don't go get the OB8 or the Osmose if you like what you have now. Great thing for these videos too with comparisons but the Novation is a fantastic value and great reviews too.

"Analog Poly Synth Shootout (OB X8 vs OB 6, Prophet 6, Novation Summit)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOD44p-J6y0

Posted : 22/07/2023 5:24 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us