Notifications
Clear all

New budget priced Yamaha Montage M

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Anybody knows, is it on horizon? As much as I want Montage M6, it is just too expensive.

Posted : 17/10/2023 1:36 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

There were almost 3 years from the launch of the original Montage till the launch of the MODX.

Posted : 17/10/2023 1:46 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

Tough to know when a MODX+ replacement that lines up with the Montage M is coming.

Will be interesting what they name it. I don't think they will continue with MODX as the "DX" was more for the FM-X engine addition on the MO series, and since the Montage M has an AN-X engine, if they were to include that engine in the new budget priced model, it would likely have a different name.

They can't use MOX (which may have fit with the FM-X + AN-X engines) since it was already a product.
It could maybe be something like MO with an M = MOM :p

Or they could go with MOX with the M = MOXM
This would be my best guess... 😉

Posted : 17/10/2023 3:07 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's been happening since Motif ES which was the "Montage" of the day. It's very likely to happen again and the way I see it - MODX was a stepping stone for Montage M as it demonstrated FM-X didn't need its own tone generator and therefore opened the door to better utilizing the second tone generator. Likewise, when the MO version of Montage M comes out - it will likely take advantage of some new approaches/components that will be a good beta test program for Montage M's follow-on.

Motif ES - MO6/MO8
Motif XS - MOX6/MOX8
Motif XF - MOXF6/MOXF8
(notice never a "7" version - reduces inventory costs)
Montage - MODX6/MODX7/MODX8
(adding a "7" version was an unexpected happy surprise)
Montage M - ?? TBD

The 40th anniversary happened 4 years after the Motif XF was launched in black finish only. To celebrate the 40th anniversary, Yamaha released a limited run of the Motif XF White version along with lots of freebees in terms of expansion packs, tools, etc. I think it even came with what would normally be an optional Flash Memory expansion card in order to utilize those freebee sound sets.

The 50th anniversary is right around the corner - not exactly placed at the usual half-way mark of the product. I look at the landscape and wonder what kind of things are in store for the 50th anniversary. We know Montage M ESP will be fully realized in that year. That's one thing. I wonder if there will be any hardware-centric offerings to commemorate the 50th (earlier than normally expected).

Posted : 17/10/2023 5:01 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=123891]Don't think it's going to happen this cycle.
The M6 and M7 will likely become the cheaper options when their prices are lowered after the release of Polyphonic AfterTouch "upgrades" of these models.
[/quotePost]
What are you basing this off? Is this just what others/yourself are speculating, wishful thinking or have Yamaha announced something regarding PAT on the M6 & M7 ?
I can't see the M6 & M7 becoming the cheaper options in the price range of the budget synths like the MODX/MODX+ were/are... 😮
They could however release new M6x & M7x models perhaps..!? Doing so would cause M6 & M7 sales to fall fast; However if they time it right (when sales tapering off), discount the M6 & M7, and introduce the M6x & M7x at $100 to $200 more, it might happen..!? Maybe they could justify not increasing the price on M6x & M7x synths if the M8x sales went way beyond their expectations/budget..!?

[quotePost id=123892]It's been happening since Motif ES which was the "Montage" of the day. It's very likely to happen again and the way I see it - MODX was a stepping stone for Montage M as it demonstrated FM-X didn't need its own tone generator and therefore opened the door to better utilizing the second tone generator. Likewise, when the MO version of Montage M comes out - it will likely take advantage of some new approaches/components that will be a good beta test program for Montage M's follow-on.

Motif ES - MO6/MO8
Motif XS - MOX6/MOX8
Motif XF - MOXF6/MOXF8
(notice never a "7" version - reduces inventory costs)
Montage - MODX6/MODX7/MODX8
(adding a "7" version was an unexpected happy surprise)
Montage M - ?? TBD

The 50th anniversary is right around the corner - not exactly placed at the usual half-way mark of the product. I look at the landscape and wonder what kind of things are in store for the 50th anniversary. We know Montage M ESP will be fully realized in that year. That's one thing. I wonder if there will be any hardware-centric offerings to commemorate the 50th (earlier than normally expected).[/quotePost]
I don't think it would make sense not to happen, unless Yamaha don't like making money anymore..!? :p
Would be interesting to know if there are 2 SWP70's in the Montage M and if so, how they split the Engines on them..!? Does Tone Gen1 have AWM2 User + Preset, and Tone Gen2 have FM-X + AN-X ?

So the Name definitely will have MO at the beginning. And looking at the last two Motifs, the (MOX) added the "X" which is what changed on the Motif XS, and the (MOXF) added the "F" which was what changed on the Motif XF, so I am thinking that whatever they name the new MODX/MODX+, it would have to start with "MO" and have "M" in the name, and likely would stay within 4 characters...

Based on the history above, these are the two possiblities that I think would fit and could make sense..!? :
MOM
MOXM

When is the 50th? I think that might make the most sense, unless it's more than 3 years out...

Posted : 17/10/2023 5:31 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

When is the 50th?

Next year.

Which is why I say it's earlier than the Motif XF's "1/2 way point" where the 40th anniv. happened to fall on.

Normally, we'd see this kind of thing years on but I wonder what influence the 50th is going to have on the Montage M era.

Posted : 17/10/2023 6:27 pm
Prominent Member

Yeah, even if there's an M6x and M7x at some point, the M6 and M7 will not become the effective "MODX replacement." There needs to be more differentiation between the flagship and budget versions than the presence of poly AT, and to be a next-gen MODX, it has to be much lighter and much cheaper, presumably with the same kinds of compromises all the lower end derivatives have had. e.g. some or all of the usual suspects... less connectivity, external power supply, plastic chassis, fewer front panel controls, less in the way of display enhancements (like the LEDs on the knobs/sliders, additional display), maybe fewer effects, less polyphony, less expansion memory, etc.

Posted : 17/10/2023 6:54 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=123893]

So the Name definitely will have MO at the beginning. [...]
and likely would stay within 4 characters...

Based on the history above, these are the two possiblities that I think would fit and could make sense..!? :
MOM
MOXM
[/quotePost]
Obviously, the name will be MOMO.

Posted : 17/10/2023 7:33 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's "always" a price/feature reduced version and it typically trails the flagship by several years.

Posted : 17/10/2023 7:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Montage classic to Montage M represents a bigger jump in terms of features than Motif XS to Motif XF.

So speculation is what it is ... Maybe you're right and the pattern that's been repeating itself won't happen. Maybe you're wrong and it will.

It's water cooler gossip until later (whenever that may be). Right now, as always has been the case, there's a flagship available and that's it for new stuff in this bracket. So do what you want or need. It's all good.

On the circuit, there's guys/gals killing it on older gear.

... and speaking of the "flagship" label - I just called my closest retail store to ask if they have a floor demo of any Montage M. They started looking things up and said "flagship" as part of the description. So some marketer somewhere is throwing around that term. You're welcome to disagree based off of very limited information at this early stage.

Posted : 17/10/2023 9:22 pm
 Paul

[quotePost id=123898]There's "always" a price/feature reduced version and it typically trails the flagship by several years.
[/quotePost]

Had to laugh when I saw this thread. Sorry, folks! 😀 I guarantee, on the PSR Tutorial Forum, 5 minutes after GENOS2 is announced, some soul will ask, "When is the SX950 coming out?" :p

Waaaaaaay too early. I'm prepared for a long wait. Mostly, I need the light, compact version a la MODX. Yamaha could reduce the feature set in so many different ways... No AN-X, new AP, EP, Cinema String waveforms and performances. It would be simple, cheap Flash ROM update -- kinda like MOX to MOXF.

Just trying to stay alive and healthy so I can see the day! 🙂

Peace -- pj

Posted : 18/10/2023 12:00 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=123908]
The new marquee synth line that replaces this will be the one worthy of a light weight lower end unit.
This update doesn't unshitify the gimmickry of the SuperKnob, barely better surfaces Motion Sequencing (and adds a misnomer to it, for reasons unexplained) and won't make the Montage M a hit in its home market, nor the two big ones right next door. It's not a compelling, brand leading, halo product, and neither was the original Montage.
[/quotePost]
I completely and profoundly disagree!
The Montage M IMHO is not a mere Montage+ like upgrade, but a new FULL Flagship replacement marquee synth line with more than enough enhancements, feature additions and changes worthy of being the new compelling, brand leading, premier synth product, just like the Montage was!!

It will never satisfy everyone. And even the next generation Synth that replaces the Montage M in ~7 years, may not satisfy some people ... I would suggest to those who are not satisfied with the Montage M, it might be time to move on and find a Synth/Workstation that you can be happy with, as Yamaha might 'never' provide what you need...
And for those who are satisfied & generally happy with Yamaha's Montage, as well as the new Montage M Flagship, having someone on here bashing a Synth that we love and are satisfied with, at every chance possible, get's really old and is just repeating & promoting negativity. I think most people would generally like to stay on the positive outlook side of the fence most of the time. We may grumble about minor things on occasion or ask questions why can't the product this this/that & is there a fix or workaround, but we don't tend to harp on it too long or trash the product completely... 😉

Posted : 18/10/2023 3:18 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=123967]I feel the same way about the overtly optimistic, faux positivism, absences of skepticisms, lack of criticality, conspiracies of confidence and cheerleading.[/quotePost]
You just described yourself perfectly regarding how you express your opinions on this forum about all non-Yamaha products that you care more about & brag up. AKA super trolling...
Don't be a negative ninny!!

Posted : 21/10/2023 4:32 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

I don't really see your point other than to point out that point is a nice word...

Posted : 21/10/2023 4:29 pm
Andrew

I see what happened to Bill 1.0

Posted : 09/11/2023 10:52 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us