Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Pattern to Song Conversion NOT showing data in all tracks in Logic/DAW

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I created a bunch of patterns and then set them up in scenes by an order I needed. When I convert it to song and then use Montage Connect and then drag to Logic, only 5 tracks show up in Logic. I know there is data in additional 4 tracks. Would you know why it does not show up?

Posted : 18/11/2019 6:00 pm
Bad Mister

Not from the information given, sorry, no.

From the Pattern screen, touch “Edit/Job” > “Overview” > here you will see activity indicated per Scene.

Posted : 19/11/2019 2:09 am
Topic starter

Thanks, please see attached screenshots. Not sure why the other tracks that I hear through the Montage does not show up in Logic. I have done this before when the Pattern editor came in OS2.5 and was able to import midi (drag/drop) in the song mode. Now when I convert the data from pattern to song and then do the drag/drop to Logic, I don't see all the tracks.

Hope I am able to communicate my issue better now.

Attached files

Posted : 19/11/2019 2:52 am
Bad Mister

Likely cause: It shows 5 Tracks because you only transferred Scene 1.
Reason I say that is because you either need to go ahead and tap “Convert to Song” (which will write out all 49 measures of your Chain into a single linear file) or you need to export each Scene as a separate .mid file... and do the assembly in your DAW.

Strangely, you never show us a screenshot of the *converted* Song. It will contain all of your Tracks and all 49 Measures.

Each Scene can be from 1-256 measures in length... you are building short Scenes... but this does not change the fact that each Scene can be exported as a separate MIDI file. It looks like in screenshot 1, you touched the box that converted Scene 1 to a .mid file... that should give you one 4 measure .MID file with 5 Tracks.

I can see in screenshot 1, 2 and 3 that only Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 indicate activity in Scene 1.
When a Track has data, a solid white square appears just to the right of the Track number — you can see an overview of these white blocks in screenshot 1, and you can see those same white blocks just to the right of Tracks 1-5, and no such blocks on Tracks 6-16, indicating no data in Scene 1 for Tracks 6-16.

What most would do in your situation (third screenshot) is simply tap the “Convert to Song” box... then export the complete linear composition all at once. This will result in 49 measures and all of your Tracks.

Convert the entire Chain to a blank Song... recall that SONG, it will appear by touching “Play/Rec” > “MIDI” > recall the Song by number
Confirm the link to the Performance and tap “Save as .mid”

Posted : 19/11/2019 7:49 am
Topic starter

I found out why it was not exporting the rest of the tracks! I had some playfx setup for the tracks 6 and above. The data in the midi (after I converted to song) did not contain any tracks that had Playfx setup. Once I normalized Playfx settings and then did the convert pattern to song and then did a drag drop from Montage Connect into Logic, I had all the tracks.

Does it make sense why MIDI data in patterns were not getting converted to Song when I did not normalize PlayFx settings? But when I normalized the PlayFx settings and then went to Chain->convert pattern to song, all the data in each track showed up and got converted. Is this normal, is this how it is supposed to work?

Posted : 20/11/2019 3:38 am
Bad Mister

Absolutely. Play FX are non-destructive offsets being applied to your data.
“Normalize PLAY FX” - Writes the data to the Track. Until you do that your Offsets are only heard, the act of “normalizing” applies the changes you have made to the events and makes new events in your track data, then it ‘zeroes out’ the Play FX grid. This can be done on a track-by-track basis, if you wish. Otherwise, your data would be converted and there would be no offsets.

When you non-destructively offset data, (this let’s you ‘try it out’... see how it works.
”Normalize Play FX” executes those changes by rewriting the events in the Track... and restores the Play FX grid to it default state. This is *executing* the offsets. Say you use the Play FX to Quantize the data in the Track.... being non-destructive, means it is moving the notes by sifting them through a timing grid. Normalize, executes the Quantize changes so that when exported to your DAW software, the written data reflects exactly what you want! Make sense? Your DAW does have the ability to read those non-destructive offsets.

”Convert to Song” writes the data to the linear Song by writing the ’normalized’ Scene data as events to the Tracks.

Why doesn’t “Convert to Song” automatically “Normalize Play Effects”? There is a good reason:
You should (or you can) Normalize the offsets on a Track by Track basis... this allows you to review the results. It gives you an opportunity to listen to the changes you have made and decide “yes, that works!” Or “Nope, that causes trouble when I transition to the next section. You can UNDO the Normalize (found on the Pattern > “Overview” screen) immediately afternoon applying it...

Word of warning: if you have CLOCK SHIFTED data, either ahead (advance) or behind (delay) the beat, you will want to review exactly HOW your Scene now transitions to wherever you need to go next. It is always the transitions that need to be studied, i.e., verse to chorus, chorus to bridge, bridge to verse, etc., etc. If you need to make changes, you can work on them.

Posted : 20/11/2019 10:41 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us