PIssed!

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Pissed and I need to rant.

After updating to 2.5 when I loaded up my session in Cubase the Montage part was in the wrong key and the timing was f****d up. It took me hours to get that guitar part to sound realistic...Not even bothering to try and replace the part. This is why I HATE updating. Yes, I had everything backed up and yes I updated to m Connect 1.3...I believe my only mistake here was updating to begin with. Unbelievable.

Posted : 10/08/2018 4:11 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry you are having issues. As this has not been previously reported, can’t say it is the fault of the system. Highly unlikely.

Things to check. If you backed up your data in a .X7A File, the MONTAGE restores your MONTAGE to the settings you had prior to the update.
Nothing in the update is likely to affect the timing of anything you recorded in Cubase... the two are unrelated. Nor would it have anything to do with MONTAGE CONNECT 1.03 (we’re sure you meant 1.03).

Press [UTILITY]
Touch “Settings” > “Sound”
Make sure you Instrument is set to 440.0 (or the tuning you prefer)
Make sure you are not Note Shifted

When you reloaded you .X7A File you will have restored your MONTAGE to the condition it was in when you created the file.
Did you BACKUP with this File Type? You don’t say... what the File Type was.
You don’t say at what Sample Rate your Cubase session was recorded... 44.1kHz vs 48, 96 or 192kHz, this can affect tuning if not matched. (There are many reasons, not including updating to 2.50, which could be the cause...)

Let us know. Again, sorry for your troubles. It is not at all typical.

Posted : 10/08/2018 4:53 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I just said to hell with it and did something else which turned out better anyway. Okay, I do have another issue though. All I'm trying to do is record a simple piano part in the song recorder with a few overdubs. When I record the first part it records okay, but when I try to choose overdub the only selection i get to choose is 'Replace'. Overdub and Punch in/out is not there to choose suddenly. I guess I should mention that I'm triggering a softsynth so local MIDI in is off. Been looking through the manual but i can't find anything about this. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Posted : 11/08/2018 7:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks Jason.For such a seemingly simple function (overdub MIDI recording) it seems convoluted on the Montage. I was surprised at the length of the instruction details....even the author of the instruction said it's 'tricky'' which is crazy. I totally understand that Montage is meant to be married to a DAW but when inspiration strikes we shouldn't have to boot up a computer to get a chord progression with a few overdubs down. The recorder really should be simpler to use. Having to deactivate kbcntl for all other tracks while overdubbing is tedious and should be an automated task once the user chooses overdub recording imo. As well, the annoying song-creation function which happens when- "If you leave the „Play/Rec“ display to make settings on your Performance (Home) and then press [RECORD] again it calls up a NEW song! If you use „Play/Rec“ on the screen you’re back at the song you’re working on. If a new song is called up by mistake you can reload your previous song and continue working on it. " I was wondering whenever i wanted to record I was up to Song 17 when I hadn't even recorded anything yet. Anyway, I believe the whole recorder functionality should be streamlined somehow. It was a real PITA just trying to get a simple idea down today. After hours of struggling I just said eff it and recorded a sloppy take into my sampler. At least I have the chords and a general idea of the progression timing this way. Just to be clear, I have nothing against using a DAW but sometimes a DAW isn't wanted or necessary until it's time to track audio. Every song I make i like to use a different approach and sometimes a DAW is the last tool I use. Anyway, thanks again for the link. Even though the method to overdub is convoluted, at least now I know how to do it should I feel inspired to do so.

Posted : 12/08/2018 1:25 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes, inspiration requires a healthy ("impossible" ) dose of intuition. Although there is usually at least one way to do what most people want to do - the method of getting from point A to point B is not always readily accessible without some form of tutorial or "classwork".

This is an extension of the concept to make the interface non-intuitive. Particularly for items which are not necessarily musical like saving files (enter in the strangeness for when and why Montage decides to make a new song -- and other strange items that go back to floppy disks).

Yamaha is evolving. Montage represents, mostly, a slightly more accessible machine than earlier synths with as many features. This is more of a ding of the past than a glowing review of the present. I'm hopeful for the future - there's a long way to go. If Yamaha sees complexity in use as a badge of honor - then perhaps this isn't something that's going to get much better any time soon. I would hope the design team can arrive at a point where internal complexity is valued while elegance and ease-of-use is valued more on the interface/usage side.

Usually investing the time to learn the system pays off -- only as long as you can retain the information. I advocate keeping a notebook with instructions to tell yourself how to do things that are not intuitive. If you leave the instrument for any amount of time (for whatever reason) - such a notebook helps more than anything to get the "recipe" back.

Posted : 12/08/2018 3:31 am
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

You're absolutely right about investing the time to learn and I actually do use a notebook. I really hope Yamaha isn't choosing complexity over efficient workflow. Imo, the Motif XF is easier to work with from a song-making perspective-probably because it's not DAW-centric like Montage. Sound-wise though, there is no comparison to my ears as Montage crushes Motif in that regard. A fusion of Motif's sampling and sequencer functions -(complete with song, pattern and remix modes) and Montage's 'everything' with an internal SSD would be a home-run for Yamaha. Possible name could be the Yamaha Fusion, of course lol:D

Posted : 12/08/2018 4:08 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us