Notifications
Clear all

Plugging in a condenser mic into Montage

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

Up until now I have been recording the sounds of montage on my video camera through a camera adapter (Comica CVM-AX3). Now I want to record the synthesizer and vocals separately on to a DAW. I have watched the instructional videos on how to connect the Montage to a computer and record the sounds. That part is fine.

My questions: Can I plug my condenser mic/or dynamic mic in to the mic input of Montage and record normal vocal tracks on to the DAW? Or do I need a separate interface for that?

Appreciate if someone could advise me how I should do this.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Shri

Posted : 01/10/2020 6:56 am
Bad Mister

My questions: Can I plug my condenser mic/or dynamic mic in to the mic input of Montage and record normal vocal tracks on to the DAW? Or do I need a separate interface for that?

Condenser Mic = No
Dynamic Mic = Yes

Condenser mics typically require external power (they work on an electrical charge that is applied to moveable plates)... the MONTAGE does not supply any phantom power often required by condenser microphones. Some condensers use batteries (supplying their own power), some condensers come with rather bulky power supplies, (in which case they are treated as LINE signal out from their power unit).

Dynamic mics typically work using permanent magnets, coiled Cooper wire and the principal of inducing electrons to move. They require no external power.

You should check the documentation that comes with your microphone. Professional condenser mics can require +48V in order to operate. .. others come with their own power supply. Just remember the MONTAGE does NOT supply any power for condenser microphones.
If you prefer to use a condenser you must get a preamp or use the recommended method to supply the microphone the electrical energy it requires to work. The MONTAGE does NOT supply this energy. Most condensers require an external source.

Check the documentation of your Comica CVM-AX3 - It may supply the +48 Volts required for your condenser mic... connect your microphone to it — then connect the LINE level Out of the Comica CVM-AX3 to the Left Input on the MONTAGE back panel. Go to [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Audio I/O” > set the MIC/LINE = Line.

Then within the Performance you are using you can setup the AD IN settings for that input
From the HOME screen
Press [EDIT] > touch “Audio In” > here you can find the settings for both the AD IN and the Digital Audio. Set the Input = L mono
Set the Part Output to the record bus you wish to use. You can tap the Output setting to open the menu of Output options Main Left/Right, USB 1-30 as mono or odd/even stereo pairs.

You can either get a separate audio interface to power your condenser mic and connect direct to your computer, or plug the Line level out of the audio interface to the MONTAGE AD IN.

Dynamic microphones can be plugged directly to the MONTAGE AD IN.
Press [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Audio I/O” > set the MIC/LINE to match the Input of the source.

Signal directly from a dynamic mic is extremely weak — the MIC setting is a big Level boost required for mic inputs. A dynamic mic like SM57 or 58 outputs at about -50dB... selecting MIC and turning the Gain up full will be necessary to match dynamic mic inputs.

Signal that does not need as much boosting (that’s coming from an audio interface, keyboard, hand held playback devices, etc) are generally considered LINE level and have stronger outputs of -10dB through +4dB or more. A Line setting may require little or no boost from the MONTAGE Gain Control.

On MONTAGE you have an overload lamp that will flash when you near clipping. The light is happy if it only flashes on the very strongest of audio peaks. A steady red lamp = warning to TURN IT DOWN!!!

Hope that helps.

Posted : 01/10/2020 11:15 am
Topic starter

Thank you very much for that, Phil. Yes, the Comica CVM-AX3 indeed offers +48V phantom power, and your description of how to use that with the AD input of Montage is going to be really helpful for me. Thanks to your detailed answer, I can now try and record backing tracks/vocals with my Montage with the equipment I already have. Thanks a bunch.

Kind regards,
Shri

Posted : 01/10/2020 12:09 pm
Bad Mister

Is there any current Yamaha workstations that includes Phantom power XLR MIC input jacks?
I only know of the Genos arranger that has it, but arrangers are aimed at a different target group that maybe not own mixers or audio interfaces.

No.
BTW — The Yamaha Genos, Digital Workstation, includes the phantom power because the “target group” is very likely to play and sing (the entertaining performer). If you own a MONTAGE and require +48V phantom power with XLR input jacks, we can recommend several small format Yamaha mixers and a plethora of small Steinberg/Yamaha audio interfaces that deliver the quality audio processing that is commensurate with the audio quality of MONTAGE. You can connect them directly to the A/D In.

Posted : 19/08/2021 1:16 pm

Why not condenser mic? There are models which have battery inside, like my good old Shure BG4. Some very professional tube mics - like my vintage AKG C24 has its own external power supply, so it should work, too (but only one half of this stereo mic, so no reason to try it). There are also electret mics. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work in Montage.

Posted : 28/08/2021 3:14 pm
Bad Mister

Hi DanFor,
Clearly we were discussing phantom power supply and condenser microphones that require it. If the microphone has its own power supply (battery or power unit) clearly, it is taking care of its own power requirements and its just a matter of signal from that point. Please read closely the discussion above.

If your question (?) is how do you use a stereo mic with the MONTAGE, you just need to solve the connection. The MONTAGE can handle either a mono or a stereo input. The point is — it does not supply any power to microphones requiring it.

Posted : 28/08/2021 6:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us