Notifications
Clear all

Problem after updating firmware to 2.5

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Mark
Topic starter

I backed up all of my user Performances and Libraries. I updated the firmware to 2.5. I re-loaded my backfile and got my Performances and Libraries on the Montage. But now, when I call up a Performance by way of Midi (I'm using an iPad and SetListMaker), i get all sorts of extraneous parts loading into my performance. If I use John Melas's Performance Editor, i can call up my Performances as they have been programmed, but not through using the iPad and setlistmaker.

I'm using the Yamaha wireless bluetooth midi connection to communicate between the iPad and the Montage.

In the previous firmware version, there was a setting for something like single or multi Midi communication? I cannot find the toggle in the new firmware.

So I would really appreciate any help/suggestions on how to address this issue. Thanks - Mark

Posted : 09/01/2019 12:06 am
Bad Mister

I backed up all of my user Performances and Libraries. I updated the firmware to 2.5. I re-loaded my backfile and got my Performances and Libraries on the Montage.

Excellent.

But now, when I call up a Performance by way of Midi (I'm using an iPad and SetListMaker), i get all sorts of extraneous parts loading into my performance.

Can you give an example... what is an extraneous Part? What type of message are you sending from your iPad, can you give an example message?

If I use John Melas's Performance Editor, i can call up my Performances as they have been programmed, but not through using the iPad and setlistmaker.

Thats two against one... seems the SetListMaker is having an issue. Can you provide information on the messages being sent by this app.

In the previous firmware version, there was a setting for something like single or multi Midi communication? I cannot find the toggle in the new firmware.

It’s exactly where it’s always been.
[UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced” > “MIDI I/O Mode”

Posted : 09/01/2019 5:21 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Your previous firmware may have been before the change in MSB/LSB/PC assignments (your old firmware was something older than v2.0 probably). If this guess is right - and if your iPad software is calling up Performances directly (by user or library banks) - then these addresses have changed after v2.0 and your 3rd party software would need to be adjusted.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/montage-os-2-00-3-song-performance-link-broken

Posted : 09/01/2019 5:23 am
 Mark
Topic starter

Thank you both for your input and advice.
1) All that SetListmaker sends is the midi code for the performance I'm trying to call up. But I will look to the SetListMaker forum to see if there are any reported issues.
2) By extraneous part, I mean that I have created Performances with layers (piano + horns + strings....) When SetListMaker calls up that Performance, I now get (piano + horns + strings + bass + pad....)
3) I'll look at the UTILITY page for the midi functions
4) I keep the Montage firmware versions current. Typically within 30 days of the release of a new version. All of my performances were programmed prior to firmware 2.5. So if I understand Jason's comment, all of the performances that I programmed prior to firmware 2.5 will need to be reviewed and adjusted?

I will spend some time with these suggestions this evening. If there are additional thoughts, please post them.

I appreciate all of the help. I find the Montage an excellent synth/workstation, but at times, find the programming complicated.

Thanks - Mark

Posted : 09/01/2019 12:12 pm
Bad Mister

1) All that SetListmaker sends is the midi code for the performance I'm trying to call up. But I will look to the SetListMaker forum to see if there are any reported issues.

Well, of course, it is sending “midi code” — I was asking the specific MIDI code of one of the Performances that added “extraneous Parts”.
_Did it actually “add” Parts or did it just call up a different Performance?
_Does the Performance have a blue flag icon in the Performance Name box when it is first recalled.

_ If you tap the Name box, to open the pop-in menu, what does “Property” report when you look at one of these rogue Performances?
Specifically, what BANK, what MSB #, LSB # and what Program Change #?
Is this what “midi code” you sent or did it just ignore your Bank Selection and just recall the Program number?

These specifics will greatly help solve the issue.

Posted : 09/01/2019 1:00 pm
 Mark
Topic starter

Thanks for your help.

I am sending a Bank MSB; Bank LSB and Program message.

I resolved the problem. The midi I/O mode was set to multi. I need to ready up on this function to better understand what is happening and why the mode changes.

Thanks again - Mark

Posted : 11/01/2019 4:57 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Glad you got the issue resolved. If you were current (v2.0 to v2.5) then the "gotcha" I described would have not been the issue. As stated, the issue was from any version prior to v2.0 (ex: 1.60 or earlier) to version 2.0 or later (ex: 2.5, or 2.0). If addressing your Performances indirectly through set-list, you would have also been unaffected by this issue. Live set MSB/LSB/PC combinations have been stable since their introduction in v1.10.

One way system settings (utility settings) can "sneak up" on you is by loading an X7U file. These will have quick setups and utility settings embedded and may alter your own settings. Motif XF had an option to load files "with system" or uncheck to preserve your keyboard's system settings. I'm not sure if Montage has this - primarily because my keyboard is "down" again (meaning I haven't set it back up in the studio after gigs). My assumption at the moment is that it's either not available or not obvious. So you may have loaded an X7U that "corrupted" your settings. Corrupted is in quotes because it isn't a bug or a real problem that needs to be fixed on the keyboard side. Just something that happened that wasn't intended and may have sneaked by you.

Posted : 11/01/2019 5:30 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us