Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Setting Up Montage with Cubase (Not Using Montage as Audio Interface) Need some Help.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I would appreciate some help in setting up my Montage with Cubase.

Here is what I would like to do :

Basically, I would like to setup 16 midi tracks for the Montage in Cubase.

I will not be using the Montage as an Audio Interface. I will just be routing the Stereo Analog Outputs of the Montage to my Audio Interface.

The Montage USB will be used for midi. Only (No Audio).

So far I setup a Cubase Project with Multiple Midi Tracks targeting the Montage, i.e. MIDI track 1 = MIDI Ch 1, MIDI track 2 = MIDI Ch 2, ………… , MIDI Track 16 = MIDI Ch 16

What are the settings I need to make on the Montage so that the Montage Controllers function on the MIDI tracks for each part in Cubase ?

When (LOCAL = ON) the controls of the montage work, when (LOCAL = OFF) they don't.

I also noticed that I'm getting midi loop back (audible via a phasing / doubling sound) issues when (LOCAL = ON) when playing a Montage part in Cubase. So, how do I deal with this. Also noting that I have Cubase MIDI Thru Enabled.

Any documentation/help with this type of scenario, where I would like to sequence the Montage from Cubase would be very helpful.

I also would like to know how best to play and record a Montage Performance (i.e. a multi-part Performance that for example uses 4 parts, and assign the remaining 12 parts of the Montage, to Cubase MIDI tracks, i.e. Montage Parts 5,6,7, …16, which are assigned to midi Channels 5 thru 16).

I'm hoping that this is something that I can be setup easily, but so far I can't find any detailed tutorials that focus on this type of workflow setup/scenario when using the Montage with Cubase, and not using the Montage as an Audio Interface.

Finally, I think it would be very helpful if there were some in-depth Video Tutorials that cover this scenario. Plus many other Videos for the Montage. I know these will be coming soon, So, hopefully they won't take too long.

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 28/06/2016 10:40 pm
Bad Mister

What are the settings I need to make on the Montage so that the Montage Controllers function on the MIDI tracks for each part in Cubase ?

Set the MIDI I/O = USB
Set the QUICK SETUP #1 = REC MIDI on DAW
Set Cubase to send MIDI Clock to Montage Port 1

When (LOCAL = ON) the controls of the montage work, when (LOCAL = OFF) they don't.

You must complete the circuit by selecting a MIDI Track in Cubase that is set to send the messages back to the Montage via USB-MIDI on Port 1

LOCAL CONTROL, literally disconnects the Montage keybed and its controllers from the Montage tone generator. The messages they generate travel OUT via MIDI, you must send the data back to the Montage by selecting an active MIDI track in the DAW.

I also would like to know how best to play and record a Montage Performance (i.e. a multi-part Performance that for example uses 4 parts, and assign the remaining 12 parts of the Montage, to Cubase MIDI tracks, i.e. Montage Parts 5,6,7, …16, which are assigned to midi Channels 5 thru 16).

Sorry, not enough specific info to give you a specific answer... And here's why, saying a Montage Performance has 4 Parts is simply not enough to tell you how to proceed to record it. You'll need to be more specific - does the data for the four Parts need to be on separate MIDI channels, or do they need to recorded to a single MIDI channel? In general, when recording Multi Parts from the Montage set a single track in Cubase so the channel is "any" - thus allowing the incoming channel to be echoed back to Montage.

Montage and Cubase Setup Guide

Posted : 29/06/2016 2:43 am
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

Thank You for the help.

I will study the Montage and Cubase Setup Guide, and see if I can get my Montage-Cubase system do what I need, and will post back some feedback on this thread.

Cheers,
Tarek

Posted : 29/06/2016 4:54 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us